General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Incredible!!!

Amen to that! I just sold a clean 68 camaro for 12 grand and no way would I trade the car for the can! I love cans but after a couple grand I am out! I am not trying to say the can isnt worth it.....because things are only worth what someone will pay, but some things (old cars) have a much wider appeal without the risk if you need to sell!
As the years go by, it seems like more people are selling out and not hardly ANY young people are interested in cans (my 16 year old isnt..he is only interested in what he can sell them for if I croak!) so in 30 years after us that were kids in the 70's when it was booming, are very old men, will there be anybody left? Those that are should be able to have a killer collection then as the interest wont be there.
Or do you think it will? Stamps and coins, and trains keep chugging along.
blah...blah....blah....1 more beer and I am tired!

I've spent a goodly amount on my collection over the years. I've also been lucky enough to have been able to make a profit off cans I paid peanuts for 10 - 20 years ago and turned around to buy some more expensive cans today. Sure I'd eventually like to make my money back off the cans I currently have, but I enjoy them and once I'm gone, I won't have to worry about their worth any more. I think someone will always collect cans, whether it be younger folks or whatever. If not, once we're gone, they'll be tossed back into the landfills where we once rescued them.

I would like to rephrase and expand on Chris's comment a bit.

Like most hobbies, what we collect has no intrinsic value. Unlike most hobbies, what we collect is, quite literally, garbage. At one point in time someone thought these cans were trash, threw them away and often buried them to get them out of sight. Any value placed on "the supply" is not only manufactured and artificial, but limited to an incredibly small number of aging individuals...."the demand". Once the demand goes, there will be a disproportionate supply, and that curve has a slippery slope right back to.....garbage.

Rand