Return to Website

The Rolling Home Message Board

Welcome to The Rolling Home Message Board. Please do not post messages attacking other persons on this board. Any other messages relating to RVing are welcome, but you must post a valid email address. Objectionable posts will be removed.

The Rolling Home Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: high speed internet/satelite systems

The KVH system is a dish and a sat telephone and is usage sensitive. Paying per minute for internet isn't my cup of tea. They retail for about 8 grand.

MotoSat has one that retails for 7k, but street price is about 5k. Monthly costs on the MotoSat are a little over $100.

TracStar has just come out with a system, I don't know the monthly cost, but the upfront is about 12k.

There is a company out there advertising the MotoSat system on a rental basis for $100 a month. That might be the answer for many folks.

The generic DirecWay system is $579 including installation and runs $59.00 per month. However, it is not legal for you to set up your own system. Libby and I are DW dealers and certified installers. When we travel with our dish, we roof mount it and we do all the same installation procedures that are required for a fixed installation.

Would I tell you that no one is moving these fixed systems, no, but it is not legal to do so, so you run the risk of being fined by the FCC and also simply being turned off. A risk many are willing to take. I do not sell to RVers unless they are putting their system on a fixed pole just like at at a house. We have lots of folks here in South Florida who winter here and summer in another fixed location. I simply sell them two dishes and they move the modems back and forth after having the system professionally installed at each end of their trek.

John

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

hey John

could you tell me more about the cost of the KVH mobile high speed internet system??? or the DirecWay satelite system???? what the total cost to get one of these installed in our 5th wheel? we need internet and web surfing while boondocked.....