RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SASF

SASF bods from Gan

Heres your chance to leave a message for some of your colleagues to contact you all in one thread.

Me? I was attached to SASF Gan from SASF Katunayake in May/June 1959. Just like a two week holiday, very spartan conditions though, 'worked' in a tent had billets made out of palm fronds (Kadjan leaves) and an open air cinema, where if you didn't like the film you threw beer cans at the screen, if you liked it you threw empty beer cans at the screen. The cans were collected by Costains Contractors and were used in the hardcore in the runway that was being built.

Re: SASF

Siggie Baiting !! Setch you area one, couldn't you bait another bunch of lads not as sensitive, caring and lovable as your normal average superior SIGGIE..

Shame on you.....

Hi Setch

Glad to see you escaped from PHUKET, we will have to get Andy Knowles on here to as we were the only three original dirigibles from the old site.

I'm sure there used to be a Staging Aircraft Servicing Flight on the Island of Gan, the place that was twixt Khormaksar and Changi, but there again perhaps it was all a dream, any others that thought all aircraft overflew the island?

Hullo John,

I am hoping to have a TGIF with Andy in the not too distant future. When I last spoke to him he was up to his eyeballs in renovation work while his wife was sunning herself in Portugal. Whatever next I ask myself. He has now joined her I'm glad to say so hopefully will be in contact when he returns.

I found this web site by accident yesterday. I worked in SASF from Feb 75 to the close. I was only the SASF storeman, which meant all I did all day was ride around in the SASF Landrover. I have a photograph taken of the whole of SASF taken early 76, (its a bit tatty) I will be sending it on to the person who looks after this web page (along with many other photographs. Look after yourself.

Hi all I have just found this web site I was on the island from 1958-1959 when sasf operated from a tent on the old coral runway, filling the fuel boswer from 45 gal barrels I was an inst mech but then it did not seem to matter what trade you were you all mucked in
Does any one remember Sgt Henry Moon Martin Cox Des Nevlle Ginge Wombwell & many others of that period, the brain seems a little weak after 46 years.
I would like contact others from that period & perhaps join the next reunion.
I now live in North Dorset.
I hope to hear from some of you out there
Best regards
Grahame Geeves

Hi Grahame
Have sent you an email with all the details of Gan 58-59

John

http://splashdown2.tripod.com/handleypagehastings/

If any SASF person is interested - I have Ian Scotts email address 72/73 era

HEY TAFF !!!!!

WHAT'S THE SCORE, THE LAST POSTING ON THIS THREAD BEFORE THIS ONE WAS 6TH COTOBER '04, NOT TOO ACTIVE EH ?

HOW COME IT AIN'T BEEN WIPED YET ?????

Your old mate,