RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marine Craft on Gan

Hi All,
just wondered how many ex MBC`s and crewmembers were still out there, would be nice to hear the names of those out there during my time, as well as others. Many happy Memories and a dicky liver from that visit in 1967/8

Re: Marine Craft on Gan

Helo, anybody out there? how come that with all the Marine craft action on Gan, there are so few responses? I know most of us in Marine Craft could read and write, so how come they do not respond on here,

Re: Marine Craft on Gan - Re unpaid fares to Hittadu

Hi Trev,
I believe Noddy and Paddy Beecher were involved in collecting the fares to HITTADU,both were found to be drunk and incapable!I have evidense(a photo ) of Noddy supping a bottle of charlie! Paddy was last seen boarding a VC10 carring two large suitcases muttering something "now i can buy my own bloody boat! and where can i connect for LAS VEGAS?"
Regards MikeC and farewinds *

Ps.*You must have been on earlier craft cos' we had engines in ours! CU @ REU.2005

Hi there, Well could it be that the lads who did have their names on this site don't know that it's changed recently? I only checked it out after a long absence. No I havn't booked for Potters, shame cos it's only some 50 miles from here where I live in North Norfolk. Why ? Well I can't make it till mid-day / pm on the Saturday, and the Anglia Branch Organisers do not seem to know the meaning of the word Flexibility!
Oh well never mind with luck Padger will do another one and we can decide where we stay and how long for, If you get my drift?

Tell you what on the others front why not inform all your mates that the Gan site has changed then they can up date.

Bye for now, and Fair winds

Robbie

Hi Trevor.
Only just found this site.
I was on Gan with the marine craft section on the HSLs in 1960-61 (one of the old hands) and I think that maybe most of the other guys are blind or have forgotten how to read or don´t give a ***t.
Its a shame, they may wake up one day.
Keep the faith mate.
Frank
or maybe one day

I salute the Bravery and pluck of the guys who served in Marine Craft on Gan, People just dont realize how much we had to drink to just face each days grind, and the pressures of the Hittadoo run, facing as we did the vile abuse of those who were sober.

Trev,
You'll have to excuse a Siggie invading your place, but I have to say that the only MCU member that I remember taking a drink was Danny Gurney, he was the MAN. With his 9 stringed guitar and a bottle of rum, there was nothing like it sitting in the 180 club listening to the gravel voice singing Streets of London. The rest of the MCU lads did'nt seem to drink much, or maybe I was too ****** to notice! Have a good one in Great Yarmouth. All the best, Willie.

Bloody hell Will, Now theres a name from my past, Dan Gurney, what a character, step forward Dan and take a bow!

Hi all ex gannets i was Cpl boatwright from 1966-67
does any oneknow of a ex Cpl Assall coxswain.
on R S L AND Landingcraft.all so Cpl Gorg Newham.
chippy we were detahed to seletar for a time.
Thanks R.E,Woodward

HELP, Has anyone got any photo's of the GAN landing craft painted in white as a pukka marine craft that I could borrow or buy? I am building a model kit and would like to finish it as a Marine Craft branch boat, to go with my model of the Holyhead RTTL which I was lucky enough to wangle a trip on in 1980

Have Emailed a picture direct to you Jim

Does anyone else have pictures of the landing craft I can Have please: I had most of my Gan pitures nicked out of my car many years back, during a move.

Trev
I dont have any pictures but I do remember doing deep sea dumps in the old LCU,s every once in a while,the only MCU W****R I can remember by name from 1973 was a degenerate Jock called Danny Guerney,does the name ring any bells?

Dan was stationed with me at Falmouth for about 12 months prior to my posting to Gan, what memories his name conjours up! god he used to get into some states..

Hi Lads,
Danny Gurney seems to be making a comeback. What a lad he was! I dont suppose there are any photographs lurking around anywhere? I remember going into his room and falling over the rum bottles, but he could get the 180 going every time he brought the famous 9 string guitar over. Happy days and days and days.....
Cheers, Willie.

Thought I would kick start this thread to see if there was any more out there who do not mind owning up to being in Marine Craft come on guys resurrect!!

Oh give 'em a break Trev, asking them to admit to that after all these years is like asking them to re live their worst nightmare. Now if you asked them to pretend they were ex SAS FLIGHT ( note the upper case and weep you siggies ) super stars that would be giving them the dignity they deserve as well respected ex GANIMALS.

Your old mate,

True I suppose

Hiya Trev,

I was discussing our days on Gan with a mate of mine and we were trying to remember the name of the MCU (w***) corporal who fancied himself as a bit of a chef; A big geezer who could have been responsible for the depletion in the stocks of pies, if you know what I mean.
He cooked a huge pot of RABBIT CURRY for one of the Marine Bar BBQs. - Rabbits on Gan??? I know something that looks similar with its coat off and I dare say it was.

Any clues on his name?

Your old mate.

Must have been "pre" or after I was there, I`, sure I would have remembered Rabbit curry.
We did do a Barbi on the beach, using the grill from in front of the washroom (Toilet) door, I was assured this prevented flavour blur.

How do you detect flavour blur when you're in the depths of alcoholic blur??

Your old mate.

As a 66 Hitaddite my main memory of the marine craft section was during the India Pakistan problem when
a Pakistan Skymaster with hydraulic problems during a
southern diversion and with a full complement of ladies and children did an emergency landing using the full length of Gan's runway +a bit more and wound up in the "ogin" every solitary craft was off shore just in case and it was "Marine crafts proud boast that none of the passengers even got wet ! Anyone remember it???

Have a look around the Guest Book

I will be at the reunion, I will accept any drinks offered, all monies owed can be payed (well you`ve got to try) Nick, you still owe me a brandy, you may not remember it cos of the drunken state you were in.
see you all.

Happy Pancake day to one and all

Pancakes - how do you take yours Trev??

Your old mate.

Hello Confused.
I dont know how Trevor takes his pancakes so why dont you try it with maple syrup laced with a drop of the Gan Wizard Cocktail

:D]

Just got back from the supermarket, they've got sheds full of maple syrup but the manager says he's never heard of 'Gan wizard cocktail'. He even asked me WHO Gan was - the bloody moron.
Go on, give me a clue old chap???

Your old mate.

Hey, Not Confused aka 'SNAIL', - no big rush now, there's another 364 days before we have bloody pancakes again and need to know what exciting things we can dress them with.

Your old mate

Hi Confused.
The Gan Wizard is a cocktail we invented on the island in 1960 for the hard drinkers so here goes;
4cl Whisky.
4cl Rum.
4cl Gin.
4cl Brandy.
4cl Martini.
4cl Green Chartreuse.
4cl Blue Curacao.

Put in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake then put in the glass and add a bit of tonic water and a slice of lemon.
Happy hangover!!!

Sounds like dynamite mate but there's no way I'm gonna spoil it with a poxin' pancake.

You sixties Ganimals were some sort of hard ba****ds,
in the early sixties I was learning how to walk on Cuban heels whilst tripping over a pair of bell bottoms. You buggars were drinking rocket fuel with a dash of tonic - respect.

Your old mate.

Good Morning Confused.
Yes mate, that drink was dynamite and the first guy to drink it was out for 12 hours, he just stiffened up and then over he went.
The early days were tough but we managed to forget it through all the booze we put away that was all we had to do in our spare time except when we took the barge´s out to unload the cargo ships but sometimes we went into the ships hold and drank the beer which was going to the N.A.A.F.I. in Aden.
We used to get P****d in the N.A.A.F.I. and then at closing time we each took a case of Charlie´s down on the beach and maybe a bottle of rum (that was the year when they let everyone buy spirit´s)and carried on from there.
That was our head´s in the morning.
Happy day´s mate.

Steady on mate, I sometimes have a morning head like that without a drink - - - EUREKA - ageing replaces drinking - NAAA!! - bad enough it replacing you know what.

Your old mate

Soon will be the reunion, I`m looking forwards to meeting a few of you, my begging cup has been polished with my posbie polish!

Just returned from Belfast, where we had a mini reunion. Guinness/whiskey/pubs/company excellent. Have a good time lads, and mind and find out who bloody Confused is, it's beginning to p**s me off. Send some photos of before/during and after, Setch, this means YOU. Cheers, Willie.

I'll see what I can do Willie. The taking is easy its the poxy sending by email thats the problem. I will get some of the men behaving badly or as gentlemen depending on your point of view.

enjoy the potters reunion , watch your backs OK ?

Hey Willie you must have been p----d as usual Danny's Guitar only had four strings. he was never fit until he had his neat Captain Morgan and cornflakes for breakfast