Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tsunami

Having watched the news about the Tidal Wave, has anyone got any news on what has happened on Gan?

Re: Tsunami

Managed to get a copy from Larry Dodds

Further update, have just now spoken to another Madivian friend [or rather his daughter] well known to many of us who had him as our roomboy...little Mo Didi,now 65 yrs old and working up beside Male,but thankfully OK.His daughter on Meedu says they have a little damage but nothing serious.The rest of Addu is the same,little damage but no injuries,but of course they have people at sea and working on other Islands and communications are not too good as yet...Larry....

Latest report from Larry Dodd

Last update,Have this morning received an e-mail from the manager of the hotel[equator village]confirming that everything was OK on Addu. He asked me to thank any or everyone who asked about their situation..PS he added that many of the older people on the islands wre saying that their friends the RAF would come to help them if needed..That is the bond between Addu and the RAF 35yrs on and still remembered.. Anybody fancy a reunion on the island ,never be a better time ...Larry

Re: Re: Tsunami

I would love to go to a reunion on Gan but then again I would love to walk on the moon as well!!!!!!
Thanks for keeping us informed I was dreading seeing Gan wiped out.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Latest report from Larry Dodd

Last update,Have this morning received an e-mail from the manager of the hotel[equator village]confirming that everything was OK on Addu. He asked me to thank any or everyone who asked about their situation..PS he added that many of the older people on the islands wre saying that their friends the RAF would come to help them if needed..That is the bond between Addu and the RAF 35yrs on and still remembered.. Anybody fancy a reunion on the island ,never be a better time ...Larry

Glad to here there wasn,t to much damage but if they do need help willing to help in anyway I know

Hi lads,
I was very touched when I read what the older Maldivians had said about the RAF. I would love to have a reunion on Gan, but as has been said previously, to walk on the moon would be great too. My thoughts are with all the poor people hit by this Tsunami, and thank God that Gan was spared, if they need help with anything, I am more than willing to assist. Cheers, Willie.

Aussie medical teams landed in Maldives today, apart from that, haven't heard much. If I didn't have the misses here - would have volunteered to help any way I could. So its not a real good start to 2005, but let's make the most of it while we can.
CHEERS - an early cold one - but was worth it.

QJB5

We are going to Bandos in July. It's a few miles from Male. I emailed them to see how things were and got this reply within hours..

Thank you very much for the e-mail.

We are all OK!!! Bandos was not at all flooded. I have no idea how and why. I actually was in Male’ when it happened, but now I am back in Bandos, because we got so busy with the reservations coming in from other islands, which were evacuated due to being damaged badly. I live in the middle of Male’ and the water did not come close to our house. But in some parts of Male’ there was water up to 2ft for hours.

It is a very sad day for the Maldives, our people and the tourists from all over the world holidaying in many parts of Asia including the Maldives and our prayers are with the families and friends who have lost their lives. So far in Maldives 37 have lost lives and 59 reported missing. Still there are many islands without being contacted due to loss of communication in the areas. Many resorts I understand are been evacuated, many guests are in the capital Male’.

Bandos was one of the least affected islands. (I would say Bandos was not affected at all).The water was level up to the jetty, but we were so lucky that the island was not flooded unlike many near by resorts. There was no damage to Bandos, some beach chairs were pulled out with water. There are many clients from other islands booked to Bandos for tonight. All who arrived are believed to go back to their countries tomorrow. All the charter flights from England tomorrow are now coming empty, just for the evacuation as we are informed by the operators.

Local islands across the country (South and North) are been hit severely and some islands are evacuated now. Among the dead there are children who were at the time of impact, playing on the streets or by the beaches on the islands. Everything happened so quickly, that people had no time to react.

Search and rescue and relief missions are underway. In addition we understand that 3 Indian navy ships now on the way to Maldives. Also on a friendly visit there are two Pakistani Navy ships anchoring near Male’, who has now started a mission to help those stranded in the islands in delivering food, water and clothes. We hope it will reach the affected areas very soon.

Once again we send our deepest sympathies to those families and friends who died in this tragedy and who are affected by any means. We all are very saddened by this tragedy, which was the biggest shock of our lives in broad day light under clear blue skies and sunshine.

It is the worst day recorded in the history of Maldives. We all pray for the fastest recovery and get back to normal as soon as it can be, “God willing”.

We hope to see you in The Maldives on Bandos as scheduled.

Kind Regards,

Abdulla / Bandos

I wonder if it was the reef that protected them. I remember on Hitaddu that the ocean side had a reef going out ½ a mile or so and only ankle deep.

Whatever it was, they seem to have been very lucky.

Although not directly "Gan Related" I have been sent the following link, showing the devestation of the Tsunami.

http:/homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.htm

type this "as is" into your address bar and hit the go button, the photo`s speak for themselves.

Sorry guys the Link does not work, I will see if I can get it right.

Although not directly "Gan Related" I have been sent the following link, showing the devestation of the Tsunami.

http:/homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html

type this "as is" into your address bar and hit the go button, the photo`s speak for themselves.
Email: tmp88@btinternet.com

Many thanks Steve!!

hi everyone

RESORT BY RESORT NEWS

The international media and foreign travel advisories, in the aftermath of the December 26th Tsunami, have cast a very large shadow over the entire Maldives Addu Atoll region and its Resorts+ islands and costal tourist areas.

Unfortunately, until corrected, this misinformation will continue to punish the region that, for the most part, was not affected by the natural disaster.

Our team has now completed a comprehensive tour of Maldives and wish to pass on the FACTS to the international media (and consumers) regarding the status of island.

BUSINESS AS USUAL ON MALDIVES

For the most part of Resorts has no major infrastructure damage -- water, electricity, were unaffected and most resorts have clean-up in the past week and are open. 90% of the resorts in the Maldives sustained little or no damage. Beaches are mostly clean with families enjoying perfect weather and crystal clean water. for more please visit http://www.stunamimaldives.com

Thanks Didi for the update.

The address you gave comes as a default so try this instead http://www.tsunamimaldives.com

Re: Re: Tsunami

Just come back from 2 weeks on Gan. Addu not affected at all on surface, but some divers said that some of the underewater coral was affected.

Only around 100 people. as many cancellations, but now is the time to go, as the whole of the maldives need the money