Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Nobby Shipperley

I see that Nobby Shipperley has signed the guest book. I seem to remember the lack of blood when his head stopped the fan. I must admit that life was a blur when I was in the marine bar. Was it Nobby who relieved himself (taking a p**s) over the bushes onto the beach all over a stewardess and her boyfriend? I remember when a large bowl was passed around full of beer, we would take drink and pass it on. After the 3rd or 4th round various foreign objects found its way into the bowl, but after a while you didn't care or seem to notice. Does anybody else remember Nobby's head stopping the fan? One last word I'm looking for a Dave Willis he was in the marine at the same time, he used to live in Newquay Cornwall but moved?
Best Wishes to all

Re: Re: Nobby Shipperley

Is this THE Dave Willis from the 75 era???

Your old mate,

Yes, the Dave Willis I'm Looking for used to live in Newquay Cornwall but moved out of the area. His old neighbours don't know where he moved to.
Many Thanks

THE Dave Willis (Gan 1975) who used to be in the Newquay Surf Club???

Your old mate,

Surely there can only be one Dave Willis from Newquay. He is the same one who went to Sri-Lanka with me on holiday from Gan.
Many Thanks

It was very confusing at the time but I knew two people named Dave Willis in Newquay. Was your man about about 5'10" with shoulder length sun bleached hair??

Your old mate.

The Dave Willis I'm looking for had dark hair, it wasn't shoulder length. He was married with no children.
Many Thanks

When was he actually in Newquay and was he stationed at St Mawgan???

Your old mate.

I think he was stationed at St Mawgan when he left the RAF. He lived in Newquay in 1989 ish. He lived in Newquay when his dad died. His dad used to worked at the local police station, and he has 2 sisters.
Many Thanks

Around the right time in Newquay.
Do you mean that Dave has two sisters or his dad has/had two sisters??

Your old mate,

Dave has 2 sisters.

I've had a quick word with my man in Perranporth near Newquay and he informs me that I got it wrong ( wot me - got it wrong - "don't be so shtupid" - as my little friend Chesney would say ) the Dave Willis I thought it was, the guy we called 'Surf Bum' ( for reasons that don't need a great deal of explanation ) was not the one that was in the RAF, it's the other Dave Willis and as you quite rightly say he does/did have dark hair.

We are both gob smacked to learn that he was/is married.

Your old mate.

If you ever find out where the other Dave Willis moved to I would very grateful.
Many Thanks

How long did you know this guy and when did you last see him?

Your old mate.

I've known Dave since 1971. We were at RAF Brize Norton together, them we got posted to RAF Gan. I last saw him in 1989 in Newquay. I lost touch with him so I went to Newquay to see him but he had moved. I asked a few of his neighbours, but they didn't know where he had moved to.
Many Thanks

I remember Nobby Shipperley and his fan stopping party games!!!!!

I remember a large chef tried it once, he forgot to remove empty/half empty bottle's and glasses from the table behind him, fell onto them and spent the rest of the month c/o sick quarters (HA-HA)

I believe Nobby work's at RAF Stafford now.

Jim

I believe the fan stopping with your head originated at Masirah, I remember it being done way back in 1966, usually down at the boat club. One time springs to mind, when our resident doctor tried it with a few too many Tigers inside him, and ended up stitching up his own head in the bogs. Happy days! Cheers, Willie.

Yep, I was there! 1975. Still trying to get in touch with Hal Crompton and Keith Lester (6SU SES)