Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are you doing now?

Hi all, just trying to stimulate some good conversation and exchange of information (being bloody nosey is another way of putting it)
I am now semi - retired and work term time for the Uni of Wolves driving the students from campus to campus for their lectures.
I have a small boat on the canal which I spend as much time on as I can, or, I do a little Archery, this helps when I get wound up over something, I will put a link on to show you my little boat if your interested!
hppt://devonlady.fotopic.net

so come on guy`s there must be life after Gan surely!!

Re: What are you doing now?

Looks a nice little boat Trev. I spent some time on a narrow boat last year, never felt so chilled in my life, not even a hint of confusion, can't beat it mate, life as it should be.

What am I doing now? I just got back from Sri Lanka after spending some time involved with the Tsunami relief, I remembered how to cry. There were many heart breaking stories of how families were torn apart but there were also some happy endings. Coming back to Blighty made me realise just how well off we are. I still play the guitar and do the occasional folk club. I've been married for 28 years and have a son and two daughters aged 26, 24 and 20. Also a grandson of 4 months called Elvis (yes, he's learning the guitar). I'm still in electronics as an engineer. My main task is the production of a weapons power supply for the Eurofighter. For the technical among you, it is fed with a 200V 3Phase 400Hz supply and produces eight computer controlled outputs of 280V D.C. for subsystems. My trip to Sri Lanka meant that I had to miss the re-union on the east coast this year. Maybe next time we could have it back at Odiham again as live only about eight miles from there. I'd like to hear from some of you guys out there, I'm sure you've accumulated a few good stories over the last 35 years or so. Bye for now

Nice one Tony, (you couldn`t rewire my little boat could you?) yes I can well believe you know how to cry after the heart ache you must have seen.
I play Mandolin, used to do the folk clubs doing sea shanties and the like - A bit of the babacombe lee`s from Fairport, now my old hands not as quick as they were and the voice beggered after all the shouting, (never used a mike) - still, life goes on, now my 2 year old grandson has taken a shine to the mandolin.

While I was in Gan (71-72) I teamed up with a met guy called Pat Slattery, he used to play the mandolin while Jock the loch (Ian Loghlin) and I used to sing and play the guitar. The songs 'Peggy gordon' and 'Dark Island' come to mind. I remember bringing Brian East a guitar back from Singapore and teaching him a bit of finger picking - are you still out there Brian and did you keep up the practice? Dave Hood was my original inspiration to learn how to play while I was in Singapore, he later did a tour in Gan while I was there, does anyone remember him?

TONY DAVIES - no doubt a siggie - the question was 'what are you doing now?'-not what were you doing thirty odd bloody years ago.

No wonder your confused!! Read a couple of entries back, I already covered that one.

Covering the subjet is one thing but then drifting into a past life is another.
Is it your age, have you always had difficulty following simple instructions or were you a siggie?

Well then, here I am, feeling very pleased with myself after getting my little boat looking very shiny.
I have spent the weekend using a colour restorer on her superstructure, I am very pleased with the results. Here is a link to my pictures - if your interested

hppt://devonlady.fotopic.net

O.K. got it wrong

http://devonlady.fotopic.net

Just got back from a holiday in Wales with my Grandchildren, now need to have another to get over it, Love em to bits realy, will have to go to the boat for a few days to chill out, keep the peace guy`s.
Trevor haycock