Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan 2003 video[free]

Anybody want a copy,only four left out of dozens,and no charge!!!Tel me at home 01830 520060.Setch/Willie, never met you but would surely have been mates ,get yourselves a copy sent and sit and wonder what happened to the old girl...I also believe that RAF GAN would have been 50yrs old on 25nov 05, If there would ever be a better time for a reunion on the Island,anybody fancy, easily arranged what do you think?? Larry[geordie]Dodds grsf 69/70

Re: Gan 2003 video[free]

Larry kindly sent me a copy a few weeks ago, well worth taking advantage of his offer, just to see the old place again.

I will only accept a copy if it is 'confused' free

Good evening Larry, I would be pleased to see the video of Gan, even if is in a sorry state. I will phone you tomorrow with my address. Cheers, Willie

Just spoke to Geordie on the phone, is sending me one ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing it

Good to talk to you last night Larry & I wait with baited breath for the video. I have no doubt it will be better than some of the home ones that are shown on the T.V. I refuse to watch those.
Interesting to note we have the same birth date & like the idea of a reunion there covering these dates.
I shall give it serious consideration.

Ron Taylor, know you are in Aussie,e-mail me at lawrence.dodds@tiscali.co.uk,and I will send yoyu a copy .When I get to Alice Springs it will cost you in refreshments, dont forget, Larry.

Larry, will send you a email - but, for your info Melbourne to Alice Springs is 2255k, so will stay by me fridge in the garage just in case.

Hi larry,
Great to speak to you last night, and good to hear you could be in Glasgow next March, I look forward to meeting you then. Awaiting the Gan revisited video with two minds, 1 is that I really want to see Gan as it is now, 2 is that I'm a bit afraid of what I may see, still, I will always remember her with the greatest affection, the lads i met there, I have never forgotten, and the people on the island were the most laid back and friendliest people, with the exception of us Scots, of course!!!! Hope to speak to you again soon, Cheers, Willie.

Received it today from Geordie, God!!! the place looks run down. I couldn't believe it, it took me a while to get my bearings, even though Geordie was narrating on it. Most of the buildings have been removed or changed in some way, so as to make the place unrecognisable.

He went around the island from the airmen's mess, along by the Paki camp, up past the graveyard at the top of the island and then back down past the marine bar, no longer recognisable, past the officers and Sgt's mess and then past the Astra and then down to the Blue Lagoon (didn't recognise that for a while either), then going past where the NAAFI used to be, down to the MCU jetty. The only thing familiar was the jetty. Then he wandered down to the "Blue Lagoon". Unfamiliar territory!

Times certainly do change guys, didn't know whether I wanted to go back as it is now, then I thought, I would still like to see it, even now.

Everything was overgrown and looked shabby in parts, and the construction work for the new airport was still going on.

Still, what can we expect after 30 odd years!

All the best

Tony

Hi Larry,
We haven't met but I would like a copy of the Gan video if you have any left. Like Willy said I too am a bit apprehensive about seeing it but it's the only way I'm going to see her again! I will ring tonight if that's OK. If you've run out of copies just email me and I look forward to meeting you in March.
All the best.

Thanks very much for the DVD Larry & I can only agree with Tonys sentiments & that it has changed beyond all regognition. I would like to see the other islands in the Attol so will seriously consider a week there.

You guys had it cushy, we the Brits ruined Gan in 1957, it was a tropical paradise then, (We originally ruined it in 1942) a Canberra flew over from RAF Negombo and took many photos of the island from 8000'.

A construction unit was sent in, most of the palms and other shrubs were bulldozed into the sea, the local populace was removed to Fedu. Tents were the only accomodation, palm fronds decorated the NAAFI and the cinema was open air.

Regarding the cinema the sheet purporting to be the screen was showered with empty beer cans if you liked the film, if you didn't like it then full cans were the order of the day.

From the air Addu looked lovely, on the ground it was one huge building sight, but then we were the pioneers who brought you guys the luxuries in life including a WRVS lady

I still think that for all its setbacks in 1959 Gan was better than many other RAF stations, the commaraderie was second to none, the meals were awful but everyone mucked in with each other.

Thanks to sites like these the memories are still alive, good or bad

Many thanks Larry,
Received the dvd today Monday - gonna haveta get a couple down first before I look at it.
Will let you know the outcome - once again thanks.

Hi Larry
Many thanks the DVD arrived this morning and I have watched it a couple of times, it brought back so many memories. It does look very different. I couldn't make out the RADIO GAN building anywhere, I was a DJ for most of my time on the island, great fun. As you said the SHQ buidling where I worked doesn't really look any differenct.