Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan Visit 8.12.05

Addu has once again burst into life with anew company 'Shangrila" taking over the building of the resort island hotels.
The new airport is open in a fashion with several cafe/resturants ready for the influx of tourists mid 07.
We have been to Villigilli today with the Shangrila exec the hotel complex will be something to see when complete.They are anxious to fin dout he history of the island ie war time onwards as there are a lot of ruins they would like to find out about. When home I will post the company email address as they would love to hear from those who were here in the early days.
As for other things ie Pete Wheals afraid your block 55 has gone & so has the PSD buildings beside RAOB which has also gone.John Cooper asked if Addu had made any prep incase of an other Tsunami....John you will know the aswer...NO !!
I am on the island with an old pal Mick Debell 35yrs since we last met but it seems like yesterday.We were both in Ground Radar therefore recognise the same buildings. We could have done with a few other lads from a different trade to be here as well so they would point out some of the other builings.
Never mind boys loads of new photos for the site & other bits & peices.We are off now to show the Shangrila exec the film The Lonely Men of Coral Command Im sure they will be surprised
One other thing the block nearest the 180 Club is now a massage Parlour run by Malaysian girls. Tourists & massage parlours ...is this the END ????
Larry
PS Hav ejust been handed a local leaflet Sept 05 regards the British on Addu will scan & post when home.
DO NOT MISS THIS IT WILL SURPRISE!!!!!

Re: Gan Visit 8.12.05

It all sounds great Larry and very interesting, I envy you. Is the old SHQ building still there I know it was on your last DVD and looked the same then as in 1960. Look forward to your next posting
TerryUY68

I am amazed that no-one else has shown any interest in Larry's visit. I would like a copy of your DVD please Larry and also a copy of the leaflet
Terry

Put me down for a copy of your latest DVD Larry. I hope you had a good time and at least, for good or bad, the Shangrila is being constructed.
Were you able to negotiate some special rates for 'Gannites'?
Cheers Andy.
P.s. Was Siva the barman still there?

Hi Larry,
hope you enjoyed your latest visit, and look forward to seeing the photo's and video. Have a good Christmas and New Year, (of course this includes all ex Gannites) Looking forward to meeting you in March.Seasons greetings to all, Willie.

Hi Larry
Thanks for the gen, reserve me a DVD copy please, email addy attached.

Re Vilingili, when the pioneers were on the island Vilingili was apparently out of bounds as it was then a penal colony according to talk at the time

I heard that the runway at Gan was to be strengthened any truth in this, when that was being built Costains used to collect all the empty beer cans and mix this with the concrete to help strengthen the runway and to dispose of the litter

Count me in old mate

Larry would love to have a DVD of your visit.If any cost are involved I would gladly paye,Pls e mail me for home address
Regards Graham Jones.

Add one for me Larry, thanks