Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GAN dvd ,title obtained/update....

Hello and thanks to you allfor your sugestions.Derek came to my farm last night to show me the 99% finished dvd, and I can only say that it is tremendous. Beers and tears old friends, so get yourselves a few cans and a box of tissues and have a great hour of nostalgia,and I will bet that you will run it through a second time.As soon as I can I will send them out ,Larry

Re: GAN dvd ,title obtained/update....

Hello Larry,
Hope I'm not being a little presumptious, but am I on your list for the new DVD??
You sent me a copy of the last one which was great, but this latest sounds even better.

Cheers Nobby S

Likewise Larry, or failing that, bring one along to Glasgow and we can all watch it if we can get hold of a DVD player.

I like the sound of that Rod, we can have a group sob. My wife does'nt understand why I'm so obsessed with the place and says it's the only time she's ever seen anything like an emotional response when I'm looking at photi's and the like of Gan.
Counting the days to Glasgow - going by air now, leaving Friday coming back Sunday.

Cheers, Nobby S

Hope that I am still on your list Larry ??
Thanking you in advance.

I have laptop with DVD, will bring that to Glasgow !! We can all sob and get misty eyed then !!

Rod, howzabout bringing a couple of Gan T-shirts with you, one for me and one for my mate Bryan Hodgson. They'll be for our trip to Gan at the end of May. I'm a 38 inch chest (38 and a half expanded). Hodgy - well, he's just big. I'll bring the spondoolies with me. Excitement mounts!

Nobby S

Hi lads,
That sounds good to me, we can send the women off shopping or something useful like getting the beers in, but dont tell Ruth I said that!
I get the same disbelieving looks from my wife when I gat all emotional about Gan, but you had to be there. Looking forward to March, see you all then,
Cheers,
Willie.

Yeah, I agree with Nobby re the T-Shirts, take heed Rod. You still owe me a bloody T-Shirt, from a year ago, that you have gone conveniently quiet about, are you going to bring me one also, same as Nobby - 38 chest!!

You know it makes sense!!

Yes indeed, I need a couple of T shirts, as the last ones seemed to have shrunk in the post! I'll have 2 petite ones this time, if you dont have that size, I'll have 2 large ones please. Also, 2 large whiskys. Cheers, Willie.

Look forward to seeing that dvd in Glasgow. Will be bringing along something from that era that I hope we will all enjoy. Now dont ask what it is or you will spoil the excitement and the surprise.

Gerry.

Bloody hell, you lot dont half go on. I will be bringing a load of t-shirts with me, TO GIVE AWAY, so you can have more than 1 if you want, so there.....
Whenever I mention Gan, my missus and kids resort to the Uncle Albert (Only Fools and Horses...''During the war''......why cant wimmin just accept it, its a mans thing, and they will never understand it, and leave it at that....
and talking of the women, how many bottles of sherry are we buying for them over the weekend?.....

Bloody hell, Jerry, you're not bringing Mo the roomboy are you? As to the sherry, I'll be bringing a bottle of malt for the guys, and Ruth will be bringing the entire months production of Bacardi from Cuba, not that she drinks a lot, she's like Rod, spills most of it, see you next month!

The answer to your question is No Wullie and thats usually what my wife says to me every night !!!!!
I told you not to ask but suffice to say it should be a very nostalgic moment and with a few pints inside us, maybe a tear or two may be seen. !!!!!

Gerry

Just had a look at the photos of you all on Tony,s site.Am pleased to say that I will not look out of place amongst you all..I was worried after some of the comments that you were all 20yr old studs,making believe you had had it[hard]in the Maldives,and had hardly changed in all those years.The photos of course put it right,after all when your wife is only 19 and Rod Stewart keeps trying to get her away,well you can understand my fears...Bloody hell I am starting to wander back to 1969!!!!.See you all in Glasgow, dress optional,that is not dress as in frilly thing,although there were a few lads seemed to walk a little bit different,none of you lot I hope??....One other thing if Taff Wathen orJohn Cooper reads this then send me your adress ie a copy of this dvd..Thank you and goodnight my horlicks awaits..F.....g hell...

I dont think we'll be quite that devrepit Lary (not to start with anyway), but I imagine before the Friday night is out, one or two of us may well feel like it....and why cant I wear my dress, i've bought a new one specially for the weekend, though the high heels are killing me, the boddice is a bit tight, the half cup bra is.....oooops, i'm thinking of a different weekend....only joking Gerry, dont panic.....

OH No he is'nt joking, I well remember what I had to put up with in Belfast, and all I wanted to do was go to the Leather Boys club, but no, we had to go to "The Pink Pantie" instead. Cheers Willie.

Hi Larry
So what is the title of the DVD. Have you any idea when you will be sending them out. Im really looking forward to it and I am going into hospital in March for a triple by-pass, (lucky old me). I would really like to see it before I go.
Terry

And I was thinking that evening wear was, jock-strap, tin hat and flip flops.

Hey Larry!! your latest DVD arrived in the post this morning, hot foot to the player and it's great!. Chuffed to naafi breaks - got thru half a bog roll and that was only the introduction. It's maybe too late for the oscars, but it's taken pride of place in my collection along with "Goodfella's" and "Bambi". I have'nt blarted so much since that scene in "Dumbo" where his mum is in a cage and swinging him on her trunk. Seriously Larry, watched it twice already and I can't wait til I go back to Gan at the end of May. Although there's no denying the place is changing - being realistic, what did we expect? I think all things considered whatever they do there, enough will remain for us want to go back. Having been to the northern atoll's on holiday, My wife is not particularly interested in going to Gan, but once the Willingili project is up and running it could be a different story. Thanks Larry, you've made my day

Hi Larry,
DVD arrived in the post today, but I will not be watching it until tomorrow night then Ruth is at the Bongo, just so as I can get the serious greeting (Scots for bubbling like a bairn) over, then when we watch it with my missus, I can kid on that it did'nt affect me in the slightest, who am I kidding? Thanks again, mate, and will get in touch again after the premiers, Cheers, Willie.

Hi Larry - Thanks so much for the DVD for Dad (Bill Lloyd), it arrived today. I've watched some of it already and now I can see why he is so fond of the old place. I'm going to watch the rest tonight (got engrossed and was nearly late for work this mornign!) and will then invite him down for an evening of nostalgia over the weekend (he doesn't have a DVD player). He's 77 now and it's 35 years now since he was there but he still has great memories of the place. Thanks VERY much. Rose

Hi Larry,
have just finished viewing the DVD, bloody hell, right at the start it just said RAF Gan 1969 and that was me!! Anyway, I managed to sit through most of it without any more emotional outbursts, there was still a few moments however. It was really great to see the old place once again, and as you said, it will change in the next couple of years, I will still remember it however as it was in 1972/73 especially the Christmas billet bar. Thanks once again, and looking forward to seeing you in March, cheers, Willie.

Thanks Larry for the dvd which I got a few days ago. Finally got around to watching it and as expected it was full of old memories. Some of the places are almost unrecognisable but the water looked just as inviting as it did 30 odd years ago !!!!!
Look forward to seeing you in Glasgow and to settle up for the dvd in liquid refreshment perhaps ????

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the dvd & watched it with nostalgia,especially looking outside the window now it is chucking it down with rain!grey & miserable.oh how I would love to be sitting on the old jetty next to the old Marine Craft unit supping an ice cool charlie.
I really did not recognise hardly any of it,but was good to see it all again it really took me back.
Thanks again & keep in touch.
P.S We hope to be going to the Marine Craft Reunion in Southport in May.
Regards Mike.

Wonderful stuff Larry, received said DVD this morning!

Somehow I think your title hits it on the head in one 'Paradise Faded, A return to Addu Atoll' There are a few items of building, oil jetty/pier/fuel tanks etc that I still recall from 47 years ago. Its also interesting that the same shed for the same Blackstone Generator is still in existence and the genny still working too, a friend who lives but 10 miles from me his father ran that baby in 1957-60 Stan Vince, the memories fade a little with time but its good to see the 'old place'with or without a lick of paint.

I think you did a fantastic job of the Video, thanks again and I can thoroughly recommend it to those that were there in the halcyon days (or not, whichever your viewpoint)

It was really great seeing the DVD and seeing the old place again. Larry did a great job with the filming and the commentary. It looks very different to our day though
Terry Medland terry.medland@virgin.net

Thank you Larry - great presentation

Received, watched, enjoyed.

Can't say no more.