Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan Holiday

Have just booked a week on Gan commencing 8 May for a week with my mate Brian Hodgson. Costing us around 800 quid for the flights and about the same for the local flights and accommodation. Thanks Larry for the tips, made it a lot easier.
Managed to get a couple of Gan siggie t-shirts from Rod in Glasgow - might be a bit tight on Hodgie. He reckons he's only taking 1 pair of shorts and his flip-flops.
Taking a camera as well and we're hoping to re-enact some of our best moves on the five-a-side court. Of course my film won't be professional like Larry's, but I hope to have more action from within the massage parlour.
Been on the weather site and looks like we've booked one of the four wettest months of the year, never mind, it's the only time we could go cos of Hodgies responsibilities with Scarborough FC.

Re: Gan Holiday

Have a good time freckleknob, stick some photos on the site when you return, massage parlour ones in plain brown envelope please, cheers, Wullie.

Have a good 'un Nobby, photo's please on your return.

Photos of the island in a brown envelope will do fine here also
Thanks

Nobby , just one thing...try and not sexually molest Fred AGAIN !!!!!!!! Since we left hes had the sex change and now goes by the name of Chantelle, the new bird at the massage parlour !!!!

Shipperley the mind bogles, "me and Hodgie and going to re-enact some of our moves", i dread to think what you two will be getting up to. If you look at the photo section on this site you will see that i have a good one of you and brian taken in 75, you were acting at something on that i recall(under jeff scott gallery). sorry could not make the reunion in glasgow and will be flying out to the canaries week after you come back from gan. do put some photos on the site via taff.
cheers for now your old room mate jeff.

Yeah, I've seen that photi Geoff - the one with the No 1 Headgear on. Somebody is going to have to give me the clue's for posting photi's, I may have a state of the art PC, but I can switch it on and view my e-mails and thats about it.
Hope you are well Geoff, you missed a good one in Glasgow, but no doubt you've seen the next is in Blackpool - see if you can make that. I'm on to Hodgie to be there, but like I've said before on this site he's involved with Scarborough FC and does'nt get many weekends off.
I Still see him a couple of times a year, he's got this dirty great house in Scarborough and does the Self catering flatlets bit.
I've just left RAF Stafford now that the Commcen has closed and they have me on Special paid leave, supposedly to find me a job, but not much chance of that at 57.

Nobby, seeing as you are now booked up,take a photo of you circa 73 and leave it in the RAF book in the hotel reception.When you sign the book,have a look to see if anymore ex Gan lads have been back since Mick DeBell and myself last December..Also take a few small denomination dollars for lifes little things?. PS if the massage parlour is fully operational!!! let us know,and I wont take the wife next time I go back...Larry

Hello Larry, sorry the response has taken so long, but I have just returned from Cuba with my wife. Yep, I've got at least 200 dollars saved up for the massage parlour. Hodgy is taking more cos he's got a bigger body.
Now we have Cuban cigars to enjoy as well - normally seven quid each, I've got 10 for the same amount, can't be bad. I found some interesting photi's from my time on Gan before my Cuba hol's - usual drunken caper's. I'll try and stick em on with the Gan photi's when I get back

Hello Nobby, soon be on your way,get some gen on when the airport opens for international flights.You will no doubt bump into Rob Poole in the hotel bar,ask him to take you out to Willingilli,and when the new hotel will open, then tap him for some complimentary holidays for ex-gannites and we will all go back to try out the new hotel.Have a good time ,but if you get into trouble,just pop a note into a bottle,throw it into the lagoon[high-tide]and one of us will come to the rescue---sometime....Larry

Wilco Larry - time is getting short, only 24 hrs to go, Hodgy and I are on the phone every 10 minutes discussing the forthcoming week and the probable highlights. My luggage weighs around 5 kgs and that includes one football, one bicycle pump, pair of jesus boots, 2 gan siggie t-shirts, 1 pair of swimming trunks/shorts, zero shreddies (I'm wearing the swimming shorts all week), wash kit - I'm packing the shaving gel, shower gel and gobwash plus razor - he's packing the underarmpit (mum rollette) and toothpaste. really organised eh?
Been on the hotel website looking at the Spa facilities and on the massage front I quite like the sound of the "Sun lovers" and "Island Indulgence" packages - not keen on being pummelled in the groin area so may opt for the face down position. I shall be on my back for the "Adam and Eve Serenity" package though, cos I reckon thats the one containing the "Full relief" option.
I'm really looking forward to the first morning, cos I have a good tan after Cuba and Hodgy will be still be white as a sheet like the day he arrived in 1975 and I shouted "Moonie" at hime across the mess.
Will probably post a message during the week - Tella

What's the betting, that they come back with the 'uncontrolable itch'

would they haveta sit in the corner, drinking orange squash ??

Just black syphillis to go and then I've had the lot Ron. It's a wonder it aint dropped off. In Singapore, up to 5 or 6 blokes out of 12 in a billet contracted some despicable sexually transmitted wotsit at any one time. Generally, they were'nt bothered,(unless they were married) cos it was just a swift injection in the botty or in the case of crabs a dose of the terrible white cream - the effects of which were like hanging your nuts over a barbecque.
Trouble with us blokes is that when sex rears its ugly head the short circuit kicks in. Anyway at my age, I think I'll be happy with a vigorous rub down.

Just got back from Gan yesterday - had a great week with Brian Hodgson. He's still as daft as a brush - I have'nt laughed so much for years.
He managed to befriend just about everybody on the island, even the Germans at the resort (until one of them caught him goosestepping round the pool!).This helped us when looking round the place. We met the project manager for the new airport (he's been there for 3 years), a bloke called Terry from Accrington - anyway, we explained the difficulties with getting all the way around the island and he kindly took us in his car. I filmed it through the car window - but to be honest, it was like driving through a forest with only the occasional glimpse of the resort side of the island through the tree's.
We also managed to access the Astra cinema, courtesy of the local Estates manager (located up in the old Stn Cmdr's block). No electricity, so it was a bit dim inside, but filmed it anyway and there's a rendition of the old Brylecreem song thrown in. Visited the old 6 SU stations sigs building and we were shown around the Tower where I've got a pretty good panoramic view around the island on film.
As far as 6 SU goes, well obviously, they have built internal walls etc which made it difficult to determine where everything had been, but we did get a gander at the old frame room and were shown some really old DOE maps of the station from the late 50's - early 60's.
We also got inside the old Airmans mess, which has been gutted and like most of the other RAF buildings, is in a state of decay. Evidently, according to the Estates manager - there is no provision for maintenance on old RAF buildings.
We spent the whole of one morning establishing the location of our old billet block and found the footings inside a large compound where they have built a large villa intended for visiting Senior Government officials from Mali. A local told us that our block had only been destroyed 4 months ago - but we were more than a little sceptical about this and reckoned it had been years. We had made a big deal out of it but we were certain we had the right location.
They're playing football again in roughly the same place as the old RAF pitch and they've only recently chopped down the row of tree's that lined the pitch.

Summing up, it's still worth visiting the place and we are planning to go back again next year with our wives.

We signed the guestbook (under the reception counter) and it looks like Steve Ellis gets the award for most visits, closly followed by Larry Dodds. Only around 30 guests whilst we were there and if we had'nt been around, then the place would have been really quiet.
I am planning to put a DVD together in the next couple of weeks - but whether it'll be good enough for general distribution is another matter.

Hello Nobby, back in one piece I hope? I see you never mentioned the massage parlour,does that mean you can still wear your Gan tie with honour ??.You will now know what I meant when I said the place had changed,but still a must go for ex-gannites. We should try for a few of us plus wives for next year,because as you say those Germans are devoid of humour and a few of us together would make a difference.As for the RAF book, Steve Ellis was there same time as me,but came home towards the end of 1969,I have spoken to him several times since regards return visits..Had anybody else signed the book after Mick and me? Keep me a copy of your dvd regardless and I will speak to you later...Larry

Hello Larry, I forgot to mention the massage parlour. The one outside the resort is now closed, because according to our waiter there were "Dirty" girls operating there. Anyway, I did visit the one in the resort and had a 50 minute all over job for 45 dollars. She was a young slip of a thing, but had the finger strength of a silverback gorilla. I regretted leaving the choice of oil (lubricant?) to the masseur, as the one she chose smelt like essence of skunk and took several showers to wash off.
We also bumped into the Project Manager for the Villingili resort and he said that contrary to all the rumours, the construction was going ahead and the resort would open at the end of 2007. Also he reckons that eventually Gan international airport will be the destination for all visitors to resorts within 200 miles. Also again, he said that Villingili was only the first of several islands on the atoll to be developed.
The Male government have sent a police force to Gan to counter the protests of the local maldivians. Evidently they are seriously disgruntled with the way the local economy has stagnated, whilst the president grows hugely rich on the income from tourism. The empty factories on Gan are a testament to the failings of government officials up north.
I agree it would be great if we could sort out a gathering on Gan next year - but as we have seen with generating interest for reunions in UK and the considerable expense. Should be cheaper once they open the new Airport for international flights and we can go direct.
I will knock up a DVD Larry and send a copy to anybody who wants it, but it won't be for at least a couple of weeks.

So you got back in one piece ??
Now you have to wait 6 weeks, if your nuts fall off, suggest see your local doctor...

I'm sure that there was no exchange of body fluids at any time Ron - but now you mention it, I shall be checking the status of my nuts on a daily basis for the next few weeks.
I was sensitive to the notion that everybody thought that Hodgy and I were a couple of ageing ****** on holiday and worse still, that I was the "passive" partner, and took every opportunity to inform everybody that we were old RAF mates on a nostalgia trip and that we had wives at home.
Anyway, Hodgy has got piles and the sound of his early morning screams after applying the cream will live with me forever.

Glad to hear you had a good time, Nobby, hope you did'nt get the galloping nob rot! By the way, check your email, the box is full.
Cheers, Willie.

Good to see that Hodgy had piles of fun and you got creamed..

Hello Willie, the freckle is definitely getting bigger, either that or my pecker is getting smaller. You did'nt mention the Cyprus Hols - did you have a good 'un?

Glad to hear yourself and Brian had such a good time back on the island. You did promise some pics, whats the score. I only got back from the Canaries Tuesday so am a bit behind with e.mails etc. Cant think why everyone at Valley keeps calling me Ghandi though it could be the well tanned body that I have.Thanks mainly to the months spent on on GAN in my youth, I tan very easily SEE YOU SOON NOBBY

Anyone heard from Nobby lately? I sent him an email but no answer so maybe he's gone off galavanting again.

He's probably trying to find out how to empty his mailbox.

So it's just not me then? Nobby, stop loooooking at the foties from the massage parlour, and empty yer mailbox.

Anyone got a phone number for him? I wanted to ask him a couple of questions before we book a trip to Gan.

Ray, have got Nobbys adress,but not his phone number, give me a call on 01830 520060, if you want it, also plenty info on going back to Gan...Larry

Thanks Larry, I'll give you a call this evening if that's ok. Looks like things are progressing. We have flights to Male' and it's just a case of deciding how long we want to stay on Gan.

Well I've done it. Had a really great chat with Larry and have booked 7 days at Gan and then another 7 at Giravaru, which is close to Male' 4 weeks tomorrow :)

That's supposed to be a smiley face, never was much good with technology. Probably why Skynet never worked!

I must be losing my marbles, cos I could swear that I replied to Ray Barber on this site a few days ago and when I logged on again, it had disappeared. Gerry reckons he saw it as well.
It does'nt matter Ray, cos it sounds like you have all the gen from Larry and he was the best bloke to ask anyway. I am however, the "massage" expert and can recommend the best package, indeed it may be the main reason you are going back to Gan.
Also send an e-mail to the resort and see if room 101 or 102 are vacant for your trip. 101 is right on the beach (what there is of it) and a short walk back from the bar at night. We were in 102 and a Russian couple on honeymoon were in 101 next door. Adjoining wall not so soundproof especially when listening through a drinking glass on the other side. Hodgy and I reckon she fancied us cos she could'nt look at us without giggling. We went snorkelling one morning and I lost interest in the coral/fish when I saw her swimsuit and I followed at a discrete distance monitoring her unique breaststroke leg action.
Have a great trip Ray and tell us about it when you get back.

Nobby, still having problems with emailing you, keeps coming back with "mailbox full" message. Is it just me having bother, or are you in the huff!!!!!!

Don't understand it Willie, my mailbox is most definitely not full and most of my other contacts seem to be getting through - Granted, I have another mate who regularly gets non-deliveries to my mailbox, but at least some of his get through. I'm starting to wonder if my Mcafee Firewall or Virusscan is causing the problem.

Nob

Nobby, I just got a reply from Gan saying Room 101 has been taken over by KGB agents looking for clues about an English sex maniac that was chasing their totty. Larry was a great help and I've just been showing the missus Google Earth and pointing out where I threw up in the watermelon patch and where the volleyball court was and where I rode my bike into the sea whilst cycling to do "middles" after spending all afternoon in the Hermitage Club drinking charlies. I could tell from her expression that she can't wait to get there to see it for real along with other notable spots I'm sure I'll remember once there.

I must try this google lark, I came over all funny on my first night holiday in Gan after smoking this big cuban cigar and subsequently suffered an involuntary bowel movement in a bush outside the old SWO's office. I wonder if it will show up on Google?

The palm tree outside the SWO's office has just pegged it

Due to administrative cock-up, we are now spending 2 weeks on Gan. I don't know if I should show my wife your video Larry, whilst it was home to us, it might be a run down industrial estate to her. It was great to watch and also the Lonely Men. I'd forgotten about the trip to Hittadu and Rosie visiting us once a week. I never saw her step foot on Hittadu. The Padre used to pop over every so often but I think that was to get away from you whinging b***ards. ANyway, I'm getting really excited about the holiday now. Just over three weeks to go. I'm planning to do a video, so if there are any requests please let me know.

Are you doing Desert Island Discs while you are there Ray as you have asked for requests.

Could I have 'Its over' by Roy Orbison for the England football team please....

Gerd

and how about "Keep on Running" for Andy Murray?

How about 'Tears of a clown' for Beckham.....

What about 'Friday on my mind' for Robinson Crusoe

"Ya feets too big" For Rooney.