RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

Forum: RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Ex-Gannites

Am working in Gib with two more ex-gannites, Rod Boast, Met engineer and Richard Camilleri, Richards claim to fame is he was a civvy fireman at RAF GiB in the 70s and was sent on detachment to Gan for several months

Email  
Re: Ex-Gannites

What does he want then ??
A medal or another Charlie ??

Email  

A Tiger would be good.

Am I right in thinking we couldn't get Tiger on Gan. Anyone know why?

Email  

The reason we couldn't get Tiger on Gan was that the NAAFI was contracted to Carlsberg. The only time we got it was when a tanker docked and we bought it off them or were given it in return for swapsies. And a lot better than charlies it was too. Oh, happy days/daze!!

This site seems to be used at times by cretins and wanabee comedians

Email  

Well you're on it mate. !!!!!

I take offence to cretin, but CRETIN will do for starters. (I am now a lower case person) !!!!

Welcome to the Magic Roundabout

Email  

Zebedee here !!!! Room for one more Cretin on your roundabout Ron !!!!

I thought Harry said he was on Gib not Crete? He never did say what a vulture was.

Email  

No wonder we never got any Tiger on Hittadu then, you Gannites had drunk what little there was. Same with the food. By the time the Officers/Sergeants/Airmens Mess had taken the pick, there was little left and the MCU guys refused to carry that because it was a health hazard. If it wasn't for the fish we caught, we would have starved. Mind you, it was because we ate so much fish that Hermits were so much more intelligent than Gannites.

A bottle of Tiger is $2.50 + service charge on the Maldivian resort islands. How many bottles would we get for that in 1970?

Email  

I sent a reply to Tony and Ray but some how it has not been posted, so here goes again. Tiger was on sale it the Sgts Mess in 1974 as was Amstel and Charlies all in bottles also a Courage draught Larger. Bottles were 10p each the draught 15p a pint, that to my sums makes 14 bottles to on of today at $2.50US
Regards

Email  

The reason that it wasn't posted, was due to the fact that 'the sgts mess' was mentioned. We all know that RHIP, but to rub it in, was worse. Just to think, we pinched the naval uniforms, got onboard the visiting boats, found the tiger den, then managed to get them back to the blocks, without other guys knowing where we got them from, and all you had to do was walk into the sgt mess - some people have it easy

Email  

If I remember, a double ronrico in the NAAFI bar at Luqa was 2d in 1969.

Email  

Funny, but I dont remember ever having any problems getting Tiger on Gan. The only problem was getting anybody to drink the cans of brown ale, that somehow found their way onto the food chain!

Remember Willie, we were in the same raiding party.

Email  

It's all coming back to me now. Was I ****** at the time?

Talking of tiger beer, does any of you regular corrispondents, remeber Jack Russell, I gave him my room fridge when I went escaped, now we all want to go back, yes RHIP! Could not make Glasgow Setch and Pom wanted me to go may be next time more SASF.

Email  

Not the infamous Jack Russell !!!!!
The guy is a tight arse, never bought us a beer for christmas, but he came by to sample ours, and what was in that violin case - we will never know ????

Email  

Tiger!!

What happened to Harry Walsh, the guy that started this thread off?? Doesn't he like talking to (lwr case) cretins?
By the way, what is a bloody "Vulture"????

I think we must have upset him, can't see how. I thought all Gannites had a sense of humour, obviously not!!

Not confused is he??

Email  

About the lack of Tiger beer on Gan. The MO banned it in either 72 or 73 when some nutter that came out with me set fire to the Rigger tent and let the tyres down of the surgeons car.

Email  

Perhaps you guys were spoilt for choice,in 1962 I can only remember having Hobsons Choice i.e,"Slops" (Alsops Burton,in cans), I did`nt get to taste "Tiger" `till I went to Singapore, however, by way of consolation H.M.Customs used to send out all the conficated cigs,which were ditributed free to us "deprived erks" which saved us the one shilling for a pack of 20, 5p intodays money! Haappy Days!!!

Email  

I remember Jack, one of the fairest SWOs I every came across in my time in SHQ, mind you he was tight, the only way you could get a drink out of him was by sticking your fingers down his throat.

Email  

Quote: malcolm woodcock
About the lack of Tiger beer on Gan. The MO banned it in either 72 or 73 when some nutter that came out with me set fire to the Rigger tent and let the tyres down of the surgeons car.

Mal, that would have been the last week in March 72.
The riggers tent burnt down the week after I arrived.
I have never seen an oxy-acetylene bottle climb that high in the sky, it was like Guy Fawkes night, brilliant.
The prat that did it got on board the UK bound VC10. He was rumbled at Akrotiri and sent back to Gan the following week. He did some quality time in Colchester.
As you say, happy days!

Email  

Quote: Tony Sirrell
Quote: malcolm woodcock

Mal, that would have been the last week in March 72.
The riggers tent burnt down the week after I arrived.
I have never seen an oxy-acetylene bottle climb that high in the sky, it was like Guy Fawkes night, brilliant.
The prat that did it got on board the UK bound VC10. He was rumbled at Akrotiri and sent back to Gan the following week. He did some quality time in Colchester.
As you say, happy days!

Can't remember them banning Tiger! I got there in October '72, and we had it then. There would have been a riot if they had banned it!

I also remember the docs car tyres being slashed but as for Tiger? As Wullie says if it had have been banned there would have been a riot as it was in short supply (by Wullies standards) at the time!!

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools