Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Google earth

Someone may have pipped me to the post with this one, please forgive me if it's old news. Google earth until recently only showed half the atoll from space (the wilingilly half) but now they've run a high resolution pass over the other half clearly showing Gan and Hittadu. If you havn't done it already, download google earth and have a look. You will need broadband to use this program.

Re: Google earth

Excellent Tony. I'd noticed that Male' and surrounds had gone hi-res but didn't think to look further south. It will give the wife an opportunity to see where we are going. Is anyone able to pinpoint the main areas. Sgt's Mess etc. Just the seconds will do from the pointer coordinates. E.g. I assume 11.61 - 48.67 is the swimming pool at Equator Village. Also, if any Hermits or MCU can identify where the jetty was on Hittadu, that would be useful. I think I've got it but not absolutely sure.

I had been thinking of downloading google earth for a while until you (Tony) said you had a look a Gan, I just had to have a look, Brilliant. I did not think the resolution was that brilliant unless I am doing something wrong. (any ideas if I am making a prat of myself??)
But what I have seen so far is great.

Thanks guys, keep in touch

Take a look at:

http://110499.aceboard.net/110499-524-0-.htm

All the best

Tony

Tony, I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. It could be that you are trying to zoom in too far which will obviously exceed the usable resolution. You should be able to see the shape of the swimming pool but not the people in it. different areas around the globe give variable final resolution, Bournemouth for instance is better than Gan. It could be that sometime in the future they will improve it as google are constantly updating their pictures. Just for interest, have a look at Singapore. If you travel in a straight line from the south/west end of Changi runway, after about 3 or 4 miles you will see a plane which has just taken off. If you look carefully you can pick out it's shadow on the sea (about half a mile ahead of the plane). Happy hunting.

Thanks Tony, will try that. I did see the pool, but the image was downgraded, but you could make it out

Tried it - saw me garage, noticed that I wasn't there, so decided to leave and go to the garage and investigate for myself.

Just came off the Gan Google bit and it's stunning. I'd already zoomed in on Changi a while ago, but it was fascinating zooming into Gan and old haunts like the footings where the Marine bar was. It's a pity however, that the technology does not permit lateral movement at ground level, so that you could peer inside the massage parlour for example.

Nobby, I tried to zoom in on your todger but the machine told me it doesnt do microscopic !!!!!

It did highlight the freckle. !!!!!

Gerd

investigated the garage - still there - decided to sample a few or 5, came out looked up - no one watching, went back inside, demolished a few more then decided to go to bed.