Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan on Google map

Has any Ex-Gannite tried the Google map facility lately? I did last week and zeroed in on the Maldives. It turns out that, of the whole chain, only Addu Atoll is mapped and, if you click on 'Satellite' and zoom in, it is quite incredible. You can see the old place in such clarity and even pick out your accommodation etc. Not sure whne the picture was taken but it is ceratinly recent. Give it a try.

Re: Gan on Google map

John,dont know if I ever met you or when you were on Gan,but I have been back several times and made a great dvd of the place last chrismas.E-mail me your adress and I will send you a copy.I often send 2 or 3 copies a week out to ex-gannites from all over the world.There is no charge for happy memories....Larry

Hi Geordie,
Have often thought about Gan and what it is like now. Would love a DVD of the place to see how it has changed. Will recompense you for postage etc. I was there on Air Movements from March 1967 to March 1968 so I would have gone back to UK well before you got there. It was a great tour, would love to go back there.

Rgs

Gerry

Gerry. no problem just e-mail me your adress Larry

Hi Larry,
DVD received this morning. I really do appreciate it. Have just finished going through it. It certainly brings back memories of 40 years ago! How time flies. It is sad to see the state of some of the buildings, but at least they are making progress. (Still, I suppose they should after 40 years!) I had forgotten some of the layout of Gan, but your film really helps. I have a few Gan Island Posts which I have emailed Philip Small to see if he wants to put them on his website. He can borrow them to copy for the site. Episodes 247 to 256. Seeing your pictures etc has encouraged me to scan in some of my slides (I did only slides in the days). Once I work out how to get a decent scan from a slide in my scanner! If they come out OK will send you some. Lots of pictures of Christmas and our billet bar (called Laka Nuki Inn!)

Thanks Again Larry

Best Wishes

Gerry

Hello Gerry,pleased you got the dvd OK,as you would have noticed there was not much change between your time 68 and mine 69,but a helluva lot over the next 35 or so years.The last time I was there 05,we could only get half way around the island because of the security reasons i.e.the new army camp,so I think a visit now would really have to be for a holiday,with just a bit of nostalgia thrown in.In saying that I will probably have one more trip out and after that its just memories and the web site...Larry PS anyboby else want a DVD it is no bother to get a copy and send out...L

Thanks again Larry, I don't know whether I will go over there now. I had always wondered what things were like but with your great DVD my questions have been answered and there are so many other places to go and see before I get too old! Off to Malaysia on 23rd of next month for three weeks. That really is a great place. Have been going there to see my wife's family since 1970 (nearly every year!) Pity they can't stage through Gan!! Anyway, will haev a think about it.

Best wishes

Gerry

The thing to remember Gerry is that the whole atoll has changed and unlike other Maldivian tourist islands, you can get out and see for yourself.

Yes Ray,
I understand that and would love to go back but, but there are so many places I would like to go in the time I have left that I have to choose carefully. Seeing Gan as it is now and considering the actual cost of the trip, I would rather go somewhere like walking in Machu Picchu or photographing the animals in Africa.

Rgs

Gerry

Gerry, as regards going back,I am a bit like yourself really wanting to see other places before I get too old to enjoy it.Therefore my plan and hopes is for to go out to Penang where I was stationed[Butterworth]down to Singapore,out to Borneo[Tawau]then back over for a week on Gan..Sounds great and am hoping it all fits in.Good luck with your adventures Larry

Larry,
That sounds like a great trip. Sadly Singapore has changed now, although it is a lovely city, the character is not there any more. Still, it was a bit sleazy way back when. I got married there in 1970! We are off to Penang next month for a family reunion and then perhaps to Langkawi & the East coast. Really looking forward to the break. Have foiund some of the Gan photos, including the Christmas Billet bar. Email me your address and I will send some on to you if you want?

Have a good trip

Rgs

Gerry

The trouble with the world nowadays is it's too **** small. I did my "Out of Afica" bit 15-20 years ago, when you could still find a secluded spot. Now the Game Parks are largely overrun by "Safari Operators" who will go to any lenghts to ensure their guests get the best views. I think that areas like Macchu Piccu are pretty touristic now.

Here's a brief excerpt of my travels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJqVUDexm8w

Sigh, Ray, thats the way of things now. You just have to look for the places that are left. Liked the two horses in pyjamas on your video!

Rgs

Gerry

If you can leave tonight, First Choice return Manchester to Male £74 + tax approx. £200.

Can't go yet, hosting a Chinese New Year Party on Saturday!

Gerry

Here's something the vast majority of you have done at least once. It's the first 90 seconds of my Gan video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GxpvYxgLSM

Ray,
Tried it, says not available

Rgs

Gerry

Should be ok now