RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Following received from Mr Ismail Rasheed

Dear Sir,

Good day to you and greetings from Maldives Islands.

My name is Ismail Rasheed the youngest son of Mr.Reki Futha who employed in Her Britannic Majesty's PSA/DOE at the island of Royal Air Force Gan / Maldives from 3rd April 1963 to 22nd April 1976 as a M.T Driver (Heavy) and his check No is 190.

I am written this because my father passed away just a sudden on the 10th day of December 1977 after few months of your withdrawal and I was only 15 months, and none of our family or my father's friends or anyone got any kind of picture of him. I have tried my whole life to get a picture of him and so far I couldn't get anything except his leaving certificate, issued on 22 nd January 1976.

Therefore I kindly request your good self's to help me to find a picture of my father (who even couldn't remember the face of his own father), or any other person who can help me to get a picture of my father. From the words of my mother, my father's ID card has been taken from a British man who worked in the admin office. No one knows who he was!!!

This is a good work that you all did. Thank you.
I hope you will help me on this matter and I am waiting for a quick replay from you.

Thank you in advance.

Ismail Rasheed

Anyone out there with any knowledge let Mr Rashid know on the following email address:

theismail@gmail.com

Thanks guys

Re: Following received from Mr Ismail Rasheed

I've sent him the address for the records office at Innsworth but I don't know if they would have such details.

Hi Tony,I am an ex Gannite July 74-April 75 I was a Sgt MT Tech and worked on the MT Refuellers, Cranes, Tugs etc. I have an MT Section photo of that era. It may be of help to Mr Rasheed. If you can instruct me how to best help, I will dig the photo out over the weekend. I also played football for the Station team and went to Singapore with them in 75. Hope that I can be of help.

Yours Aye
Roy Sloan

Hi Roy, hope you are well mate.

If you look at the above entry from Ismail you will see right at the bottom is his email address. If you can upload the photo on to a site or attach it to the email and send it to him.
Let me know how you get on mate. If you get stuck let me know.

Pop along to my site, details below

All the best

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

Just cut and paste the above into your browser

Guys,

I picked up on this posting when catching up on the site entries after some absence partly due to illness.
I know some of you have been in contact with Ismail as I have been corresponding with him over the last few days.
How can we push this up to a wider audience?
We may be old farts now but for Gannites we should be able to hack this!
Someone,somewhere has to have a bloody photo surely!
There were guys even in those days snapping everything that moved.Ismails father was an MT driver(heavy) from 1962 -1976,that takes in a lot of servicemen over that period.
Come on guys this is a great site lets get an appeal going, it is the least we can do.
I have banged out an Email to Gordon Brown to ask for assistance through records via the DOE,MOD or even the public records.I am waiting for a reply,hopefully they might help.
Can we raise an appeal on the site that would catch the eye of any visitors?
Put your thinking caps on and lets get Ismail a photograph of his father,its there somewhere!

Best Regards to you all

Frank

Hi guys I shall put this out over the radio as Im sure that there were a lot of Northern Irish personnel who were on Gan. You never know who is listening. If you contact John McDonald of "Sunny Govan Radio" he will broadcast it throughout Glasgow!!
John was a Radio Gan Presenter. Type in Sunny Govan Radio on any search engine and you can contact him under "Presenters". Hope this will be a success for you. George Lavery.

Re: Re: Following received from Mr Ismail Rasheed

Hi Frank,

I was on Gan 74 - 75 as a Sgt MT Tech working on Refuellers, Cranes, Tugs etc and have just sent a Section photo out to Mr Rasheed as an attachment. I dont know if his dad is on the photo but their are a lot of civvy personnel who were Drivers etc in the MT Section. I look forward to hearing back from him soonest. Kind Regards

Roy Sloan.

George,

What about you!! I an originally a Bangor boy myself and there were at least three of us in ATC in 68/69 from the old sod.

Your help would be much appreciated,

Regards

Frank

Guys,

Roy emailed me to say that Ismail had confirmed that his father was not on the photograph Roy kindly sent to him.

So we are back to square one lads!
'Where do we go from here'? as Ian Paisley would say.
We need to somehow step this up a gear.I will do the Government side but any suggestions on how we can wake up the sleeping ex-Gannites?.I have had a few replies but nothing as yet that sounds promising.The problem is we are all getting older and I suppose web sites are not on the top of must do lists for our old mates out there.But if we are getting older think what its like for a Maldie,you only have to read about their life expectancy now we are not there.The truth is we don't have time to waste if we want a result.If anyone has read this posting don't just move on, join in contact an ex-Gannite, dig out your photographs and HELP!

Regards

Frank

Frank, I have been trying to get ex-Gannites on my site for the last 2 or 3 years without a lot of success. I have emailed them, written letters and searched for them on the web with no a great deal of success. But, I will keep trying.

Have a look on my site under ex-Gannites and see the response I had. You may have a bit more luck.

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

Correction to above entry
"I have been trying to get ex-Gannite to dig out their photos of Ismail Rasheed etc...."

Tony,

You guys have done a fantastic job with the sites.I think it is as I said. we are talking about guys who were there, (Gan) 30/40/50 years ago,a bit frightning when you think about it!
The problem is Ismail although a lot younger than us will need family members to verify that any possible photograph, unless we have definite proof by some other means,say an official photograph is indeed his father.
Those people are probably more our age and time is ticking by.
Don't beat yourself up on getting ex-Gannites interested in the site it is their loss if they hav'nt seen them.
I have to confess I first looked at the site quite a few years back on a regular basis.The problem is other issues come up and you just tail off.
I hav'nt got an answer Tony as to how to get people back,probably a newspaper article or television report would be the only way.If people don't surf the net they would have to be directed toward it somehow.
Anyway it's their loss Tony as I said coming back on the site has been a tonic for me and it's great to know that there are still others,albeit a determined few who keep these sites alive,Iwould take my hat off to you guys if I had one.
I intend to crash on with the search for the photograph,I don't give in easily when I set my mind to something,I have only started.We WILL get this photograph in the end!

Regards

Frank