Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maldie chicks !!!

Did you all see that post on the guestbook,from Iyan,a young lad living on Addu ?.Tony got straight at him to wise him up.Apparently his grandmother told him that some of our boys got hooked-up with Maldie girls[naughty naughty].Well I can honestly say,missing out the marine bar decorations,that in my time on Gan[69/70]I never saw a warm pair of nickers,never mind a Maldie girl wearing them.If anyone of you lot did then I would like you to put your hand up and admit it!!.I know some of Sas flight wore underwear that was questionable,but that does not count,and that corporal in comcen would have been at home on Hampstead heath,but shagging Maldies no chance!!!!.I have been back 4 times and there is still no chance,but if I can have the old grandmothers adress ,next time back who knows.Granted I might have to take a tablet,but this old geordie is still game....Larry

Re: Maldie chicks !!!

I'm the same as you Larry, the only time I saw a Maldie woman/girl was when they came over to sick quarters for medical reasons, and the only bit I saw was their eyes, so where this guy got his gen is beyond me.

The out of bounds on Hittadu was just past Skynet. Girls would make eye contact with us then run over the invisible line and shout "Jiggi jig" whilst giving the tradional bicep curl salute. Don't know who taught them that but I suspect it was the Atoll Chief's daughters who went to school in the UK.

I also saw his guestbook apperance. I was on SASF through 74 and I agree, nearest we got was in sisk quarters, I cant agree Larry about SASF people wearing nickkers not in my time any way! The marine bar had aquired a blow up girl but even she was not in Maldie cloths. perhaps we all went too late and should have been there in 1960.

On another subject I had an email from a Maldie looking for a photo of his father, I told him to contact this site, I saw that Ray had given him the address of records office has he had any success?...Rod

Didn't hear anything but I was not that confident that Records would keep stuff for Maldivian Civvies.

BTW, my Gan video is finished. There's a low-res sampler at

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/raybarber/pics/gan.wmv

The video is 30 minutes long and covers Equator Village, Gan and the other islands, underwater stuff and wildlife. I went in search of RAF Hittadu and that's on the video - all 15 seconds of it - nothing left. I'm afraid I'm not as generous as Larry and there's a charge of £4.99 including worldwide postage. For any Gannites or Hermits, I'll include another DVD with all of the RAF related stuff I edited out. Send me an email if you are interested.

rayb@rber.name

You'll need that to email me.

I was on Gan Nov 73- Jan 76 in the Met Office (bloody civvies!!) and before I went I was told that fraternisation with the locals, especially female ones was not allowed! And the only ones I did see was in the Medical Centre. But on Maldivian holidays room "boys" etc were allowed to invite a few of us over to Fedu for the day. I went over twice and saw lots of Maldivian ladies. As I was in my mid twenties in the mid 70s I had hair almost to my shoulders and a beard half way down my chest. I got lots of looks from them but more out of disbelief and curiosity rather than admiring ones! One curious thing I do remember was the odd ginger haired Maldivian. Must've been something to do with Costains!

Regards the Maldie girls now,they are becoming very westernised ie wearing tight jeans and teeshirts and of course they are very petit and very pretty,but you will not see even one of them wearing a skirt,but they do speak to you and are in no way hidden from euro visitors,but!and I mean but,no chance of the other.I know we have got a few miles on the clock now,but on one of my visits I took my godson,tall blonde 19yrs old new girlfriend every week,handsome bu---r,but he never got more than a smile.Like I said in a previous post,when the Sri-Lankan girls were there in the factories,they only got out from their guarded compounds so as to go to work,so I am afraid sex was and still is only for the married Adduans.Next for Ray the weatherman,I think that Moslems dye their hair ginger if they have been to Mecca,either that or they had been sitting on those rusty old pipes left by Costains,and as for the Sas flight lad,you dont get swimming trunks/underpants with lace trimming,and those washing lines outside your block were festooned with them.Mind you your lads had contact with passengrs so who knows what gifts were passed between yourselves and them,happy days but where have all the years gone? Larry

Hello to you all.Got a copy of Ray Barbers dvd and to any of you thinking of going out there it is well worth a look[some nice euro girls on it].Afew changes since last I was there,one being a disply in the garden[welcome to equator village]spelt in English when 99 out of a 100 guests are Germans.What does that tell you all.Next, nice to see Nobby back on the site,I was thinking maybe he had been abducted by aliens,but they would have sent him back sooner than this,by the way old pal where is your dvd??.The woman in the massage parlour says if you go back she will do the front for you at a discount,no reason just a giggle...Larry

Hello Larry, I only made one copy of Hodgy and my holiday in Gan and he's got it. Feedback, is that one of his sons fell asleep whilst watching it and another one reckoned that I needed a zimmer frame after watching me run/lope around the five-a-side court. It actually ran to 3 dvd's, which would put most people off and some of the content, like film of Hodgy applying his piles cream is not everybody's cup of tea. Actually, the highlight would be the short clip of bikini-clad Russian bint with her new husband on board a boat.
Changing the subject, the best news Larry, is that Gerry has finally condescended to going to next years reunion at Blackpool. Brought about by a personal sacrifice, in that I have promised to wear a baby doll nightie and share a double bed with him.

Re Gerry, that is good news, you wearing the baby doll I mean!!
Glad he finally made his mind up re going, it wouldn't be the same without the silly old bugger there would it?

Changing the subject Nobby, how long did you stay in Gan, am just pricing up a holiday out there, I think 7 days should be long enough. I don't think that there will be that much to do out there but sunbathe and drink, with the occasional wander about (yeah!, what's wrong with that then!!)

Have you got the pricings for your hol, if so, can you email them to me?

Thanks

I thought 7 days would be enough but I didn't manage to do it all in 2 weeks. Could have done with another week at least. Remember you've got bikes so you can go the length of the atoll if you want.

Yeah, I thought of that Ray, but I don't know what I would find to do for a fortnight, apart from the above.
I think a week will be long enough, just to look around Gan and maybe the neighbouring islands.
Hopefully, it should pan out, am looking into it at the mo. My wife won £2500 in Thomas Cook Travel Vouchers a couple of months ago. She wants to go to New York near Christmas. After that, it should leave us with about £1500 to play with for Gan, add a few quid and we can probably do it on the cheap, only prob with the vouchers is that we have to book with Thomas Cook, so it could work out more expensive than the direct way, of booking your flt only to male and booking the hotels separately, but what the hell, we'll give it a try.

Hello Tony, my pals daughter works for Thomas Cook and she says they will do any holiday anywhere,at a price.The most it ever cost me and the wife,was around £1400 all in,so I think you would need very little extra,and as we all could tell you ,you can hardly spend anything when you are there.[no change there old pal].As for time spent,unless you are going as a tourist a week is plenty,you can see all that is left of RAF Gan in about 2 hours,but,if you are going as a tourist just stay as long as you like,you wont regret going back,I think it is about £50 a night all in,flights to suit,and the same from Male,the hotel will sort it all for you if you dont have a specific timetable,nothing too much trouble...Good luck LARRY

Thanks for that Larry, we hope to go early on in the year before the rains start. Would be great, just sat around doing sod all, as back at work it never stops. So really just looking forward to a quiet break.
Fingers crossed it will all pan out.

Equator Village rate is $130 per room AI. I'll email you the contact details and then all Thomas Cook need to do is get in touch. Be interesting to see how much they mark it up. If you go independantly, let Equator Village sort out the transer flight. You settle it all up when you check out, so if you don't go for any reason, you don't pay.

Hello Tony, Hodgy and I paid around £700 each for a week which included flight to Male, flight from Male to Gan and accommodation. Seems you're going during the peak season so will pay a different daily rate to us. But anyway, if you're committed to Thomas Cook, what we paid is probably irrelevant. I've done the north and south atolls and although not so scenic, there is more to do on Gan, even without the RAF interest. You won't need to carry much dosh, although Hodgy and I spent a few bob eating ice-creams in our favourite cafe by the jetty every morning. Also theres a supermarkety type place not far from the resort where you can buy toothpaste, suntan creams and the like. You'll pay extra for hiring snorkelling kit, so if you've got any, take it with you, but again its not mega. Bikes are free of course and once you've got it - it stays outside your room so you can use it anytime. Rooms are clean but basic with aircon a must and the grub can be a little repetitive - pay extra and you can have lobster. All in all it was good enough for Hodgy and I to plan going back again next May

Remind me again Nobby, what time of year did you and Hodgy go?

I want to go just off peak season if poss, keep away from he crowds

Hello again Tony, we went in 2nd week of May. This is supposedly the start of the monsoon - but we only had one wet day and a couple of sharp showers in the week. You remember what it was like - it belts down for 15 minutes and then its glorious sunshine again. Go for the first week and you probably won't see any rain at all and like I said on my previous post, its cheaper than peak season for the room. Worked out at 75 dollars a day all inclusive for the 2 of us. We didn't actually hammer the booze much but we reckon we easily got good value for money every day. There was only about 30 odd people in the resort with us, which meant it was pretty deserted most of the time with only a few people around the pool during the day. Also it meant that when they produce the little cakes or sandwiches in the bar area late in the afternoon Hodgy and I ate the lot by ourselves. Only talking to Hodgy yesterday and we are talking about going again, and it will probably be May next year - so if your wife fancies a quiet time of it, don't pick the same week as us. My only problem is that its my 30th wedding anniversary in February and my wife's 50th in June and she is gonna expect to do something decent for both of those - down to dosh available and I might have to forget about Blackpool in March to enable me to gain approval for the Gan trip.

Hello Tony, middle of july if you want the place to yourselves.I may have been back there myself before then,but if not let me know when you are going as I have some photos of my Maldie pal and his family that I would like you to take out for him.Much prefer the personal touch as opposed to the post.If anyone else is going out before then,same applies,thank you Larry.

Yeah, no problem Larry, will let you know whe/if we are going, what was the weather like when you went in July?

We were there late July early August and it was excellent. A couple of showers which were quite welcome, rest of the time sunny.

Well, I finally booked the holiday in Gan boys. Tried to get a flight that landed on the 15 March in Gan but, unfortunately the nearest I could get was the 12 March. I will still be on Gan on the 15th so I can toast my arrival back in 72 with a few beers.

It was quite painless booking the holiday. Booked it with Thomas Cook. Flying with First Choice from Gatwick and then the Island hopper aircraft from Male to Gan. All inclusive it works out at about $150 dollars a day which is about £75 which is not too bad for 2 people.

The flight out to Male and return did not cost us anything so all we had to pay for was the hotel (the old Sgts mess) on Gan and the island hopper to Gan from Male.
So that works out at about £450 for the stay, plus a bit of spending money. So I reckon the total cost wil be around £650.00.

Had emails flying back and forth to Gan for the last couple of days and everything is arranged. The only thing, which is not too bad is that the return flight from Male to Gatwick is at 1100 in the morning so we have to leave a day early and spend the night in Male so that we can catch the flight. Will give us chance to have a look around Male. So all in all it has worked out just right.

Hello Tony, well done and tell us all how you managed to get the long haul flights free??.The travel company that does the Gan thing have their own hotel on Male,and very nice it is,and also included in your package,excepting the food which only costs around a fiver for a good feed,no drink on Male by the way,and as you will find out, one day on Male is plenty.I will send you these few photos to give to my Maldie pal,a bit closer to you leaving.Keep in touch Larry

Hi Larry. The flight was paid for by Thomas Cook vouchers which my wife Ann won in a competition, so that paid for the flight. Couldn't use the vouchers to pay for the hotel etc. as Thomas Cook don't have Gan on their books. But it's still not bad and we still have about £600 in vouchers which we are going to use on a New York trip later on this year.