Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moray Blatting

This was a popular sport on Hittadu and I wondered if Gannites did anything similar?

Re: Moray Blatting

I remember this rather unsavoury pastime Ray - Dunno about Hittadu though - we used to find em when ogin-trogging between Gan and Fedu during a low tide.
I wasn't into clubbing Moray eels or anything else, but if we encountered one trapped by the tide, we'd have a little poke about in an attempt to get it out in the open. Years later when snorkelling, I had dived down the side of a reef (in the Maldives) and nearly messed my trunks when I caught sight of the front end of a particulary large specimen. He looked like he could have swallowed a flip-flop whole. I haven't always been a wildlife conservationist mind - I remember chasing crabs around the beach in Masirah and it getting really personal with me digging down 3 feet in the sand so that I could clobber one that had tried to give me a nip. The things you do when you've got time on your hands!

I suppose it was a bit unsavoury thinking about it. My weapon of choice was a left handed seven iron. We kept sharks in the static water supply and the morays were caught to feed them.

Used to catch loads of crabs on the beach at the Tacan beacon,crush them and throw them into the shallows,and wait for the dozens of morays that came to feed on them,follow that up with an all out assault on the eels with whatever weapon you had.A half hours entertainment!!!Should have had my **** kicked Larry