Email: juliemc1@hotmail.com

What year/s were you on Gan? N/A

Which section? N/A

Where do you live? (Town/Country) Belfast

How did you find this website?
Word of Mouth then Google Search

Please enter your comments?
Hi

I am the daughter of Harry McMenemy who served in Gan in '72. It's now 16 years since my dad died in 1990, but seems like yesterday. I am getting married in June and he has been on my mind a lot.

In case anyone wasn't aware of what happened after Gan, Harry was married in '75 and I was born in '76 and my brother in '81. We were posted to Cyprus, High Wycombe, Gloucester, Dunfermline, Gibraltar, and finally Whitby. He loved the RAF and his friends he made.

I only knew my dad as my dad, it is so nice to see photo's of a time I wasn't there and see him in so many photo's. Actually, I'm not surprised he was in so many as he was a complete poser and would put me and my mum to shame with the amount of time he spent getting ready and lookng in the mirror!!

Anyway, thank you, it's so nice to see him, especially in a place he thought was amazing. I would really appreciate it if anyone would e-mail me any stories or pictures you might have so I can keep them and also tell his future grand children what a great grandad he would have been.

Thanks again

Julie Mc xxx

Email  
Re: Harry McMenemy

Hi Julie, I am please to say I was lucky to work with your dad twice - once in London and then in 1980's at RAF Pitreavie Castle, Dunfermline.
He was a very nice person to know - also showing a humourous side. He got ticket's for myself and a friend call Taff Owen for the Man Utd v Brighton cup final and had a great time.
I was sorry to have heard of his death, only heard a
couple of years ago, I am pleased you obvously enter this site on a regular basis - so in a way he keeps in touch.
Take care, I have to leave for now.

Jim Cross ex RAf

Julie
I was lucky enough to serve with your dad in Gan.
He was one of the ones instrumental in introducing me to bad habits, such as, Drink, Drink, Drink, and more Drink.
Quiet moments when he and Paddy Byrne were around, were few and far between, and no more so than now, when we turn up for our reunions, and neither of the 2 of them are there with us, although they are always in our thoughts. All being well, we may be having next years reunion in Belfast, and if so, it would be lovely to meet you, so please keep in contact via the site.
All the very best for now.
Rod.

Email  

Hi Julie, Your Dad's name rings a bell with me but not from my time in Gan. Was he in Gibraltar between 1976 and 1978? By the way I live in Gilford near Scarva and you can also hear me on your local radio station. (Downtown Radio) I'm thinking of doing a segment on the show about Gan and the people who served there. Anyone who can't pick up Downtown Radio on the Mainland go to www.downtown.co.uk and click on "listen live". I shall let you know at a later date when the show will go on air. Regards George Lavery.

Email  

George, could you email me when your radio show about Gan is going out? I would hate to miss it. See you, hopefully, next year, when our annual ******* sorry, reunion looks likely to be held in Belfast.

Email  

Ok you lot, for any of you who wish to hear the blast from the past otherwise known as George Lavery then tune in to Downtown Radio on the internet for those who live on the Mainland it's www.downtown.co.uk and click on "listen live" I am on tonight at 10pm to 1am (17 April) and next Monday and Tuesday night at the same time. Next Monday I would very much like as many of you to either email me on the show at george.lavery@downtown.co.uk or text me on 07717 478 478, these messages will come up on the computer screen in front of me and we can have live communication with each other. May even take a phonecall from Mr Shipperley. Studio number is 02891 815050. Hope to hear you all next Monday night. Regards George Lavery

Email  

Do i have to ring you as you dont seem to answer my emails !!!!!!

Gerd I have emailed replies on two occasions to you but looks like you have not received them. We will have to get together and have a drink and a chat give me a call on 07871936945. Regards George Lavery

Email  

George Lavery, never met you but have been to the last two reunions with some of your oppos,and will almost certainly be going to Belfast.What I would like to ask you is? do you do a where-are-you-now thing on your programme as I would love to meet again an old pal from Belfast[Lurgan/Logan street]one Billy[paddy]Smyth.No harm done if you dont,as my plan is to trawl thro the phone books when I get out there.I have been back to Gan 3 times,and will try to make it on your broadcast just to see what turns up...Larry...PS Billy Smyth was Butterworth 66/67..

Email  

Hi Larry, I live only about 7 miles from Lurgan so on the show tonight I shall give this a mention and see if I can come up with a result for you. If not I shall check out with people who live in that street and let him know your email address ok? George Lavery

Email  

Larry, I used to work with a Billy Smyth, who comes from Belfast, he now lives in Glenrothes, I will try to get his phone number and ask him if he knows you.

George/Willie thank you both very much and am looking forward to a result.By the way Willie,you know I asked Tony Sirrel to take some photos out to Gan with him,photos of myself and Mohammed Rasheed and his family[some on the site]Mohammed was ex Blue Lagoon72/75.Well tonight out of the blue I have had an e-mail from his daughter[english teacher hittadu] thanking Tony,and also saying how people on the island look at the site,and are asking when we are coming back..Over to you Phill.......Larry

Email  

Hi,
I worked with your Dad at Pitreavie Castle back in the early 1980s. I have fond memories of your Dad and his family (prob your Mum, Grandma etc.) giving us a version of the Camdown Races song down at the White Bear Club at Pitreavie Castle. Another memory of your father that sticks in my mind was him and Happy Halliday doing the Balloon dance!
I last bumped into your Dad back in the late 80s at Maastricht during an Exercise. We met in a bar and I remember the 2 of us wandering around Maastricht at 1am looking for a nightclub/bar and i think by doing so we were also breaking a curfew as we had to be back by midnight. We returned to our accomodation later that morning, shook hands and that was the last time I saw Harry. I was gutted when I heard of his death in 1990, I remember having to read the signal twice whilst in the Commcen at Strike Command. What a great Dad you had.
Regards
Bob MacDonald

Email  

I worked with Harry (geordie) at Stanbridge in 1970/71 had a few drunken times .... got back in touch with him when he was at Fylingdales and was trying to arrange a session up that way ... but unfortunately he passed on before I could meet up with him again ... what a guy .... one of the best ... and what a fantastic turn-out for his funeral .... it's a shame we can't put the clock back for people like Harry

Quote: Tony Sirrell
What is your name? Julie McMenemy

Email: juliemc1@hotmail.com

What year/s were you on Gan? N/A

Which section? N/A

Where do you live? (Town/Country) Belfast

How did you find this website?
Word of Mouth then Google Search

Please enter your comments?
Hi

I am the daughter of Harry McMenemy who served in Gan in '72. It's now 16 years since my dad died in 1990, but seems like yesterday. I am getting married in June and he has been on my mind a lot.

In case anyone wasn't aware of what happened after Gan, Harry was married in '75 and I was born in '76 and my brother in '81. We were posted to Cyprus, High Wycombe, Gloucester, Dunfermline, Gibraltar, and finally Whitby. He loved the RAF and his friends he made.

I only knew my dad as my dad, it is so nice to see photo's of a time I wasn't there and see him in so many photo's. Actually, I'm not surprised he was in so many as he was a complete poser and would put me and my mum to shame with the amount of time he spent getting ready and lookng in the mirror!!

Anyway, thank you, it's so nice to see him, especially in a place he thought was amazing. I would really appreciate it if anyone would e-mail me any stories or pictures you might have so I can keep them and also tell his future grand children what a great grandad he would have been.

Thanks again

Julie Mc xxx

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks