Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gannite reunion Blackpool 2007

Got back from the reunion Sunday afternoon. Great weekend, 15 turned up and we had two bloody good days.

What can I say, the reunion went off brilliantly. Pity there was no Tiger beer, so we had to make do with British brands. It was hard work, but we forced ourselves to drink it !!

It was a great weekend and we talked our heads off and the more the drink flowed so did the memories. There were a few tears and lots of laughter. We also had a minute silence for absent friends.

Nobby Shipperley was on form as usual and had us all roaring with laughter all night.
It was great to see Ron(Oz) Taylor who made the effort and came all the way from Australia. He is still as wacko as ever. Couldn't believe it was 35 years since I saw him last. Good one Ron!
Lou Bridgnell was sorely missed and we all toasted him before we got too drunk.

The photos are now on my Gan site. If any of you took any at the do, send them to me and I'll put them on the site also.

http://hometown.aol.com/llerris/rafgan.html

Just click on the Union Flag.

Re: Gannite reunion Blackpool 2007

I'm gonna throw the cat amongst the pigeons here Tony cos as much as I enjoyed the trip and the Hotel which seemed tailor-made for us, Blackpool itself was a dismal and depressing place. I know that several of our party were talking about going back next year, but what about other options - Belfast for instance? I know its early days yet and cost will be a prime consideration when compared to how cheap Blackpool was. What does everybody else think??

Nobhead

I have to agree with "the man in black", Blackpool can be a depressing kind of town, BUT, then we went to the Palm Beach 3 years ago, it was a lot better, eg more pubs up that area, the bar in the hotel was open Sunday night, errr, more pubs in that area, and the bar in the hotel was open Sunday night!!!!!
Belfast, when there was a record attendance of TWO, Rod and myself, was excellent, the city centre was close at hand, pubs within easy reach, and the bar was open Sunday night!!!!
Lets see what the concensus of opinion is from all the troops. Donnie seemed to be a good bet too, and thats pretty central for us all, apart from Ron!!
Forums open, lads, what do you all think??

It would be Belfast for me for obvious reasons. See my post on Tony's site for more information.

Gerd xx

OK guys - had a good time at the reunion apart from the 'no-shows' I wonder what type of excuses they will come up with - come on guys don't try the old 'me granny got her left one caught in the wringer' cos we've heard it before.
Got back here 0600 today(SATURDAY)not a bad flight back,
so will havta to check me boys out in the garage
Hope to see you all in Gan for the 'big one' then we will sort the men out from the boys - so come on girls start saving your pocket money for the trip.

Hello Ron, hope your journey back wasn't too bad. Lawrie Salvoni is on his way here for the weekend. I've only just recovered from last week, but this should be tame compared to that.
I've saved £50 for Gan already - I'm as good as there.
Right gotta go - my porridge is ready and I have to hoover the carpets before lawurie gets here - all the best Ron

Hello boys,nice to have met you all again,especially Ron,who really had to put himself away ,to get from Aussie to Blackpool,so well done you..Next time could be anywhere as long as it has the transport links.Newcastle would be ideal as would somewhere around Gatwick,or any of those cheap airflight destinations.BUT !!!the big one will be on Gan,so Phill get it onto your main page and see if we can get it moving..There has never been a posting/raf station like it so let us have a last tour of the place,a hundred or more to show the flag for the last time before she or we are gone for ever...Larry

Hi you guys I have been reading your messages re a Gan reunion and where you would want to have it. Now I live not too far from Belfast and if enough of you were interested I could set this up for you, but only on the condition that Nobby Shipperley is kept under tight control. Nobby I would have come to Blackpool had it not have been my daughter's wedding, so it would be great to help you guys arrange a doo in Belfast. Also a tour of the North Antrim Coast would be included stopping off at the "Old Bushmills Distillery" for a tour and a taster. Have I wetted any appetites?? You can find me on george.lavery@downtown.co.uk.
G. Lavery (Gannite 1973-1974)

Hello George, must admit Belfast is my first choice, I've just posted on Tony's site about it - 2nd choice would be Scarborough (cheap) and 3rd choice Newcastle. We need to attract fresh blood to these do's beyond those that visit Taff and Tony's sites. Any ideas?

Don't believe this but am gonna agree with Nobby !!!!!

Lets narrow it down to 2 or 3 places just like awarding the Olympics !!!! Then everyone can then vote on the one they like.

George. You'll be lucky if you get this lot out of the pub for an hour never mind a trip up the Antrim coast !!! Lets take them to carrick-a-rede rope bridge and see how many can do an imitation of Indiana Jones !!!!!

Who suggested Blackpool for 2008? they want a serious seeing to - what a dump!
Probably miss that one and as Nobby is doing - saving up our green shield stamps for the 'big one' in 2009.

Ron - pleased you got back to oz ok, good seeing you again even though you prefer girly drinks!

cheers
Lawrie

Lawrie, don't think we have ever met. Unless it was in a drunken stupor on some unit years ago.
You are right, Blackpool is a a dump and we are trying to get another venue for next year.
Take a look at:

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

Where we are voting for the 2008 reunion.

Nobby, re atracting fresh blood. Setch was trying to rope in some ex SASF guys to attend this, but he had to give it a miss this year.
I don't know what you think, but all the ex Gannites that passed through Gan. Where the hell are they these days?
They obviously can't be bothered to look up old mates.
What more can be done to spark a bit of interest. Any offers guys?

Yeah, pay my fare over and I will definitely be there !!!!

I guess I will havta give the next one a miss, but gonna save up for the big one in 2009.
So hopefully see most of you there - gonna check out flight prices at the week-end.

Great to see you Lawrie after all these years, also what I was drinking cider and black is about 3% stronger than those designer beers

Hi guys.
Interesting thread re next years location.
Blackpool would be fine for me, but there again, so will anywhere else. Belfast was a magic place, even if there was only myself and Willie, and I would lurvvvvv to go back there and see it properly, so if everybody else votes for that, i'm up for it.

Belfast will be fine for me too, Rod and meself will show you round, seeing as we are natives!!!

Belfast it is then. !!!!! Glad that decision was finally made. All those in favour shout "Aye" all those against shout " Aye will if you will so will aye" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t was hard saying goodbye, but it had to be done - so I locked up the garage.
After a 9 hour flight from Melbourne to Hong Kong, about 3 hour lay-over, then 12 hours to Heathrow. Cleared customs, got me hire car, then drove to my parents in Devon - lasted till about 7.30pm then crashed. Next day drove to Kiddlington to pick up Rod and Sandra, then headed to B/pool, did it in about
3 1/2 hours (couldn't get Rod and Sandy to pedal any faster). Arrived, checked in, then legged it to the bar, where we encounted the 'blue rinse bingo night'.
That was enough for us, so we legged it down the road to 'the gynn' pub.
Next day (Friday) went on a tour back to 'the gynn', had to be back early to see who was arriving, Mick, Larry Nobby, Tony, Gordon and Phil were in the bar, found out that Willie had just booked in, so met him in the room. We all ended up in the bar.
Saturday - had to do a small tour, as pubs don't open till 12, then back to the bar to continue for the evening session.
Sunday - some legged it home, but the 'A Team' stayed (Willie, Mick, Nobby and Myself) - Lawrie showed about 12 all met at the 'gynn' and started again.
The bar in the hotel was closed, so had to find other establishments.
Monday - We all left, and went our way home.

Thursday - Flew back

It was a trip that I would not swap for anything - Looking forward to the actual trip to Gan 2009.

That's all for now folks - got some bottling to do - so back to the garage.