Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Radio Gan

Hello, as a one time Radio Gan presenter I managed to continue to broadcast regularly through the years. I am now working at Sunny Govan Radio which broadcasts right across Glasgow on 103.5FM. As I am on 6 days a week I have a lot of air-time to fill and I interview people from organisations every day. I am keeping a forces connection alive by talking to Forces Reunited on Monday 23rd April and to a rep from The RAF benevolent fund on Thursday 26th.

This is just a programme idea at the moment but are there any former Radio Gan presenters who live in the Glasgow area who would like to come and chat about their time on Gan and particulary about Radio Gan. I will also consider stretching the format a little to turn it into a programme about Gan itself.

If you are interested in this get in touch through this forum or directly to macdonald428@btinternet.com

Check our credentials at www.sunnygovan.org where with the help of Real Player you can listen live.

This won't happen overnight but if I get a few replies we can do something late May or in June.

Thanks guys and my best wishes to you.

Re: Radio Gan

Hi Ski Boots nice to see that you haven't changed at all in the last 34 years. You and I were on Radio Cosford together when we were doing out teleprinter op training. I remember then that Radio 1 DJ Stewart Henry was your big hero. I checked out your website on Govan Radio and I left a message. How come you haven't aged?? Is it something in the whiskey over there. Look forward to seeing you if you can make it to Belfast for the Gan Reunion. Check out the website "Gan Remembered" Hope to hear from you soon,
George Lavery (Paddy)

Thanks Paddy, some people just drift through your life and you forget totally their names and faces. As we had some good times in basic training, Cosford and Gan I remembered you as a good buddy.So what are you doing at Downtown Radio? I checked the schedule to see if you were on-air but I guess you are a producer or something else behind the scenes. Check myspace this week as there will be new photos there in a day or two.
I am probably the last person who served on Gan to become a father as my children are 4 and 1. A boy and a girl and they are beautiful. Not bad for a 52 year old!

You can catch me on air via the web Monday-Friday from 10.00am-midday and Saturday 1.00pm-4.00pm. I said hello to you on Saturday afternoon just in case you had tuned in. E-mail me direct for memories of girls booze and wind-ups.

Good to hear from you.

Hi John, You wouldn't see me on the schedule at the moment as I have to submit a new Bio. Recently Emap Radio took over Downtown and a lot of presenters got the chop. I was offered a position with 5Fm and Covering 6Fm which is in Cookstown. I did my desk training and was due to start when they told me that I was getting £35 per show, so I was forced to tell them where to put their offer, and subsequently returned to Downtown Radio. I am on air Monday night from 10pm to 1am and the same time on Tuesday night.
You can text me on 07717 478 478. email me on george.lavery@downtown.co.uk or if you want to have a chat phone me on my mobile 07871936945. Great to know that you are a father, I have a 4 year old and a 13 year old, second marriage of course. I shall listen in to your show soon and contact you whilst on air. We must meet up sometime I might organise a wee visit to Glasgow sometime. Ps. My wife Carolyn and I were married in Dalhousie Castle, Bonnyrigg near Edinburgh.
Isn't it strange how we both ended up in broadcasting!! Speak to you soon, take big lad, regards George Lavery

Hi John, You wouldn't see me on the schedule at the moment as I have to submit a new Bio. Recently Emap Radio took over Downtown and a lot of presenters got the chop. I was offered a position with 5Fm and Covering 6Fm which is in Cookstown. I did my desk training and was due to start when they told me that I was getting £35 per show, so I was forced to tell them where to put their offer, and subsequently returned to Downtown Radio. I am on air Monday night from 10pm to 1am and the same time on Tuesday night.
You can text me on 07717 478 478. email me on george.lavery@downtown.co.uk or if you want to have a chat phone me on my mobile 07871936945. Great to know that you are a father, I have a 4 year old and a 13 year old, second marriage of course. I shall listen in to your show soon and contact you whilst on air. We must meet up sometime I might organise a wee visit to Glasgow sometime. Ps. My wife Carolyn and I were married in Dalhousie Castle, Bonnyrigg near Edinburgh.
Isn't it strange how we both ended up in broadcasting!! Speak to you soon, take care big lad, regards George Lavery

I was on Gan in 1972. I was a j/t in GRSF and was also a presenter on radio gan and used to present the breakfast show for 6 months, I also was part instamental in moving the radio station into its new building next to Air Traffic Control. The building was purpose built for radio gan and we had all new equipment which i help install. I was olso the Technical Director for the staion. The equip and Tx,s supplied free by the BBC, and for the first time in Radio Gans history we went on air not only on medium wave but also VHF Fm. I also was sent back to the uk for 3 weeks to BBC Pebble Mill to collect equip that the BBC did not want, I also made a 30 sec apperance on the Archers radio soap while there about RAF Gan. Also while at Pebble Mill I arranged for the BBC to supply radio gan with free transcripton recordings of such progs as Navy Larks and other shows for us to broadcast on Gan. It was during this time that BFBS took an interest in radio gan and posted a perminant BFBS rep to Gan to work with us at radio Gan, at this point i was relived of my duties in GRSF and made the only full time member of radio Gan as my job while serving on Gan. We also iniated a perminant weekly link via Sat with Singapre and Cyprus thus linking into the BFBS forces weekly families radio show.Before i was posted back to the uk, radio Gan went to 24hr broadcasting on MW & VHF FM.The old radio gan prior to the new building was in a shack attached to my section GRSF and we only broadcast on MW using a converted radio ham transmitter. My broadcasting/presenters name was Chris Mason, as we all had nick names for some reason.Hope this is of use with the History of Radio Gan...Rgds Richard Emerson..PS also met and interviwed the Queen and party of the Royal Yacht when she pulled into Gan for a brak during 1972, yes we did broadcast the interview then the tapes wher destroyed by her staff.

I know we couldn't pick up MW Radio Gan on Hitaddu. Another advantage to being a Hermit :)

Richard I have been a bit lazy recently about checking out this site. My workload increased to six daily three hour shows at Sunny Govan and another one hour for an overseas radio station. Tonight I was just thinking it was time I popped in here again and this is the first time I have seen your post.

By the time I got into Radio Gan there was no longer any BFBS representative there. This would be May 1975.Broadcast hours were 6.00am-7.30am and then from 2.00pm until midnight.

Mids music (and who remembers that) would then come on if someone was available. For some reason we had to shut down for half an hour after regular broadcasts and then shut down at 5.15am. I have no idea why. Someone once suggested it was a BBC rule but what they had to do with the daily operations of the station is beyond me.

Anyway because I was a siggie working almost next door to the station, if I was on nights then I would often get sent through to "play the lads some music" and "don't talk too much" by our shift NCOS

Sunday we broadcast all day from 7.00am till midnight. I can't recall anyone working there full time so I guess this is the reason for no regular morning broadcasts on other days.

During the Gan Fair of 1975 I was on-air for 50 hours from 8.00am Thursday until Midday Saturday and I still have nightmares about that. Annoyingly I was required to back at work on Sunday and it took me days to recover from that.

This was what I did rather than soak up beer in the bars around the island. To this day I am using skills I developed at Radio Gan and thanks to my daily oldies hour I am playing many of the same tunes!!!

Anyone else have memories of Radio Gan?

I remember running Roger Galloway ragged one night, by getting him to play some really wierd and spurious records, all with a recurring theme, but to his credit, he managed to comply (mostly), but that now maybe explains his gray hair, when I met up with him a couple of months ago.

Hello all

I wwas at Radio gan 70/71 and ended up as Programe Director and Chief Engineer. We broadcast from 7am till Midnight during the day it was virtualy all BBCTranscription service tapes of continuous music.Part of my job was to run over from Ground Radio next to the tower to the studios to switch to World service news and change the tape. We produced a lot of home grown progs interspersed with Transcription service discs of things like The Goons, Navey Lark, Saturday Night plays and lots of others.

BFBS in Singapore provided us with a tape of two way family favs which we played the Sunday after it went out in the UK.

I was on Gan from Feb to Nov 74 and did a bit on Radio Gan, think the controller was John Claridge or something like that, use to do mids music being a tape ape and had a show called My Way which went out in the evening on one day a week.
We use to go straight from the late show which finished at midnight into the William Tell overture and Big Ben sometimes which maybe the reason for the half hour delay!
Remember there was some bloke who did family favourites on Sunday and also another show which was very professional. Still got some reel to reel tapes of some of the shows!
Brill times

Hello, I was on Gan for a whole year 1965. I worked as the Operating Theatre tech at the Sick Bay.
I prsented a Scottish Programme, Plus evening requests, Classical Music and in the last months of my tour i was Programme Planner and typer up.

I was on Gan when the Eagle Airways Brittania decide to miss he runway

Hello Bill,had little to do with radio gan barring presenting a geordie christmas show[xmas69]but what I would like to ask is? how did they get the brittania off the island..If you look through the earlier posts there are plenty of mentions of the crash,but nobody to say how it was cleared up...Larry

My memory was that it was awrite off, broken down at the airfield after the runway was cleared and went out on a boat.

Some one asked aboUt BOSS MOSS Wg Cdr C/o I was there under his command for 6 months or more he wasa 5 star c/o

“This is Sheikh Saadi presenting the Weekly Pakistani Program of Listeners’ Choice”. Yes, this is what I used to say in Urdu presenting the weekly one-hour program in Urdu from Radio Gan, when I in 1970 I temporarily took over from Mr. Nasser who went on annual vacation.
If any of you remember, I once presented local talents’ program of songs for one-hour. Besides a couple of Pakistani singers, I myself sang English songs and I remembered that while the song was being played I received calls from many English friends on Gan requesting me to sing any of Beetle’s songs. I sang Cliff Richard’s “Constantly”, “Lessons in Love,” etc. and some Urdu songs.
I was also once interviewed on Radio Gan as “Man of the Month” by Sq. Ldr. Mike Lambe, the Education Officer, Education Section.
I also wrote and presented a 45-minutes radio play in Urdu and presented it myself from Radio Gan. About half a dozen Pakistanis played different roles in the Play.
When Her Majesty the Queen visited the Pakistani Camp on Gan, she turned to the crowd with her usual charming smile, and I was the first person among the crowd I talked to her our lives on Gan.
I am proud to have participated in many activities on Gan during my short stay of 3 years.
The memories of Gan “haunt me constantly”.
Sheikh Saadi.

Hello Saadi,,,your posts are what the site is all about.Somebody new telling about their time on Gan,there must be loads of lads out there that heard you singing on radio gan,and maybe your post will bring a few new posts..I went home in Jan 70,so I missed all of that,,but my memories of the Pakistani camp are only that of curry nights and skittles,and of playing football against your team..I have to say that if you went back now you would be sad at the Pakistani camp area as factories were built there in the 80s,and for that they demolished your beautiful mosque....I have 2 dvds,,lonely men of coral command,made on gan in 68,and one I made on my return visits which shows the remains of your camp as well as how the place has changed..I will ask my Gan mate Derek Ward [who you may know from radio gan in 1970]to copy you the dvds in the format so you can play them with the Canadian voltage..I have previously done them for another ex-gannite in Alton Ontario and they played well...When I manage to get them copied I will come back to you for your adress.....Larry

Dear Larry: I am pleased to read your reply posted on Forum. Thank you for the dvd's you mention. Please let me know when you are ready to send,giving your address in England, and I will send you the full cost. Since you mentioned about Football, I sat for FA Referees' examination on Gan and I was granted Class III Referees' Certificate with FA Badge. I played two or three matches, as Linesman also as a Referee. As I said, I will remember Gan and all the activities of my time at Gan Feb 70 to Nov-72. I wish I could stay there more, but circumstances did not allow me. I look forward to more gannites who remember me. My pictue in included in my article entield "PARADISE LOST",which you will find posted on the website.
Sheikh Saadi.

Just like to let ex Radio Gan Dj's know what became of the equipment. I was on detachment to Belize in 1977 when the Guatamalans decided to "Buzz" the airfield and we were sent to provide any communicaions needed. We set up our tent near the operations block and suddenly there were 'urgent radio equipment' boxes sent out to us which turned out to be the mixers and other equipment from radio Gan along with a few hundred records which were duly sent to Radio APC in Belize. I recognised the radio Gan equipment as I had been on the air there in 1974.

I was a presenter on Radion Gan from 1960 to 1961 I did a programme most days but my greatest memory was the Christmas Request Programme. We had so many requests from family and friends that it just went on and on, it was a great time though

Worked on Radio Gan 1962/63 TOTP on a sunday night DJDW also introduced the Gan Top Six GTS iS THERE ANYONE STILL ALIVE OUT THERE ?Living in Edinburgh would be DELIGHTED TO HEAR FROM MY LISTENER Yours Aye Dud williams

Hello Dud, Yes there are still other living fossils from 1962/63. I remember you very well presenting Sundays T.O.T.Ps and your Gan top 6.Do you remember how we raised money for radio`s for the blind?. By the way you were instrumental in introducing the chaps to an up and coming obscure little group with the odd name- "The Beatles" ,whatever became of them?!!!Cheers Tony Hill.

Thank you Tony I,d almost forgotten the name of my listener Have been enjoying your fotos on the other site.Live in edinburgh mob 07536023868 Email dwilliams57@btinternet.com still golfing so if you are in this neck of the woods get in touch will keep watching the message board. Eh we outlived half the Beatles anyway yoursaye dud DJDW

Tony/Dud,,invite down to our get together if Derek can put something[ie dates]when our pal Tony O,Brien arrives in Edinburgh.[he has the dates]Also there is another lad of your time in Kelso,,I will try him...Larry

awaiting details of get together better make it a ground floor venue////?dud

V.interesting we must meet up sometime and share experiences I date back to 1962/63 now live in Edinburgh but dont hold that against me look forward to your reply mob 07536023868 your move JohnB

Nice to see all the tributes to RG. Worked on RG in 1963 and again in 1975 and remember well the dulcet scottish tones of John Macdonald and of course GB of RG in the big IO (Gerry Brown)

Served on Gan Feb-Dec 74 as a Tape Ape, was also DJ on Radio Gan did show called My Way. Now at the age of 55 and father to a beautiful boy born 27 July 2010, sorry John blown your claim!
Anyone reading this on Gan in 74?

Steve wait till a little growth comes in, mine are seven and four now and murder trying to keep up with them. I am still on the radio now having moved stations six months ago to present daily on Pulse 98.4 out of Barrhead and broadcasting across East Renfrewshire and Glasgow. If anyone is interested you can hear it at pulseonair.co.uk and I am there daily 1.00pm-3.00pm.

Re John Macdonald. Are you still using Johnnie Christie?

Does anyone remember Radio Gan DJ Jumping Johnny Hall who served there in 1973/74,

No Mick. I dumped that once I returned to UK. Though still serving I went almost straight in to hospital radio at Stanmore and decided not to hide my real self anymore.

It was just a thing we did in those days. Nowadays the kids call themselves DJ this and MC that, even those who never make it past their bedroom door with a recording of their mixes. I had 'done' Radio Cosford and Radio Biggin Hill before Gan and hadn't used the same name twice as I searched for my identity. Finally, I just decided to be myself and stuck that way from 1976 onwards.

Do you remember a John Hall. Think he was an aircraft technician in 73/74