Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery postcard

Going through my Gan photo collection I came across a postcard with an aerial shot of Gan from Villigili end. I remember finding it in a book(crime novel) I purchased a few years ago from a charity shop. It is addressed to a Sqn/Ldr & Mrs. CD Andrewartha(A good Cornish name) and was sent by a Babs and Derek, probably from Gan. They were obviously travelling home from somewhere 4 hours East? of Gan and their next stop was Nicosia and then to Lyneham. So, obviously RAF. Anyone have any ideas? Would either couple like the card back as a souvenir? Please e-mail if interested.

Re: Mystery postcard

A long shot but there was a Canadian WWII pilot C Andrewartha.

http://www.lancasterdiary.net/colleagues_and_friends.php

Hello Ray,
I rather fancy this postcard is much later than WW11
It's in colour and was taken well after the airfield was completed. In fact the whole island looks much, much greener than when I was there in 1960.
This Sqn. Ldr. Andrewartha was at RAF Shawbury, nr. Shrewsbury at the time. Unfortunately most of the stamp has been removed and along with it most of the postmark.
It was just a thought. Just as well I hang on to it as a souvenir of the old place.

Well done Taff Small, Dreemkatcher. Successful outcome to Postcard mystery. Sqn. Ldr. Derek Andrewartha has contacted me re: postcard which he and his wife sent to his parents whilst stopping on Gan on way home from Singapore in 1968. His mother lives no more than 2 miles from where I live and it is her 88th birthday on Saturday. With Derek's permission(pending) I hope to surprise her with a mystery birthday (post)card. Thank you Phil.

A further thought Ray. Your long shot re. a WW11 pilot Sqn. Ldr. C Andrewartha probably was Derek's Father. Derek does mention the fact that his Father survived several bombing raids during the war then died of a heart attack aged just 57 years in the early 70's. Thanks for the interest.

This story is like something out of a novel, or at the very least a short story.
Good result!

Anyone else out there with any stories etc. that would interest the lads and lasses who visit this site?