Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

Forum: RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
'Station Parade' urgently required!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys,

I know this subject has been mentioned many times before but we REALLY need to do something if this site is to continue.
Some of you guys have done a wonderful job in trying against all the odds to keep this site alive.
I have been trying for the last few days to email members from the archieve and send them photographs only to receive failure to deliver notifications.
I would have more luck in making contact with the dead!
What's more to the point is perhaps that's what I am trying to do.
It could be that these guys have just given up or changed their email address.
On the other hand we are all getting older and we don't know how many of us are still around.
Sorry to be so morbid but we do need a 'roll call' and we also need a strategy to bring back any surviving ex-Gannites' to the site.
It would be such a pity to see this site just cease to function and just drift away.
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE!!!!!
IF SO MAKE YOUSELF KNOWN!!!!!

Regards

Frank

Email  
Re: 'Station Parade' urgently required!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank, if you go on Tony's site then you will find people who are more brain dead than alive. !!!!! But at least some of them are still posting on site from time to time !!!!!

Email  

Jerry is right, there must be thousands of ex Gannites out there, but it is the same people who post every time, same with our annual musical **** up, same faces there, not that I would ever change any of them !

Email  

Well count me in, but if Gerd is gonna be there, then I am going back to the garage - gotta do some more sampling.

Thank you Lord, there is a God. Ron is going back to his usual place. Cirrhosis-by-the-sea !!!!!

Email  

I guess we can be Frank with one another Frank? I was on Gan 159/60 Nov-Nov approx. 'Among my souvenirs' for which I wrote a parody, 'Souvenirs of Gan' I have one or two slides of Station or AOC' parade in 1960. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for? I am no expert at posting photos on the gallery and until I get my B & W's back from dreemkatcher I'm afraid I cannot part with any more. I guess one day I might get around to printing from them, then maybe I will send them for anyone's perusal. OK

Email  

Yes I was there 60-61,put my details & history on a few Gan sites,never any feed back,perhaps because I was trade group 20.RB

Email  

Still upright (well, except for the odd Friday & Saturday night after visiting the village pub!).

Email  

Still here as well. You will all know that Taff has been unwell for a while, and dont know how he is at this moment in time. I think Tony tried to contact him, without any joy. If any of you are interested, Tony now has another site up and running.

Email  

Guys, there are a number of site you can go on to re Gan.

Try the following links:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/RAF_Gan_Ex_Gannites/index/

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=46291&p=1

Try one of these.

Email  

Replyng to Frank regards going on parade,I never did a parade on Gan,I cannot remember getting my haircut[must of I supose]In fact I cannot remember doing anything remotely military but what I wanted to say,is after nearly 40yrs my wife and myself along with my old Gan pal Derek and his wife,we went to an airshow at East Fortune[just this side of Edinburgh]an old ww11 airfield.Now apart from everything else there was a lot of old RAF stuff,and I have to admit I was getting a bit emotional,and at the end when the Eurofighter came to the end of his display and stood her up on her tail and dissapeared straight up 24000ft in 20secs,I could have cracked up,cheering along with the thousands of others..I was saying to Derek,the last time I saw anything like that was at Conningsby[70]when we were re-equipping with Phantoms,and the Lightnings from Coltishall/Binbrook??would keep calling in flying just a few feet above the runway then standing them on their tails and dissapearing..Trying to show the Phantom pilots who was best? did not work of course as like everything else they were phased out..Back to East Fortune,there was also an old but complete Vulcan standing there,now although not a great plane-spotter I can remember Vulcans and Victors and Lightnings landing on Gan as well as dozens of other Raf and Navy aircraft,,I was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive list of all the types of aircraft that had ever landed on the Island..If you have post it on the site...Larry........PS by the way I nearly gave a display of rifle drill with an old Lee-Enfield rifle.I am pleased the wife was there to pull me away!!!definitely getting daffter as you get older....Thought you might have been there Willie,we could have done a double act....

Hi, I still look in nearly everyday to see if theres owt fresh (Lancashire talk) ,more of a Ganofile now as when I was there.nostalgia must be a sign of old age methinks cheers Bob

Email  

Now you tell me,Larry!!. Any time you are up this way, let me know, and I'll do my best to meet up. Talking about meet ups. The next Gan reunion is on the 20th of March next year,in Leighton Buzzard. I would be great to see you and Mick again. Any other ex Gannite will be more than welcome.

Email  

Come on then all you ex-Gannites. Just don't visit and look, visit and post.

It's really easy, honest. You see the four rows of keys in front of you. Well if you hit them in order it makes sentences. And, if you are really clever they make sense.

Come on lads, come out of your hidey holes and get your stories down and a bit of chit chat thrown in.

Email  

Guys, there are a number of site you can go on to re Gan.

From Tony.
Try the following links:

http://s1.zetaboards.com/RAF_Gan_Ex_Gannites/index/

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=46291&p=1

Try one of these.

Have you tried mine ??

http://www.270dayspissed.com

Email  

Is the do at Leighton Buzzard on 20 March 2009 still on? If so how can one put one's name down?

Email  

Steve
Oh yes indeedy, it is...If you want to phone the Hunt Hotel in Leighton Buzzard, and book your room, all you have to do is turn up on the day (bring plenty of cash, as there is a fair amount of alcohol consumed (mostly by Willie, the rest of us are fairly conservative). It's usually a pretty stupid sort of 3 days, but good fun, and you would be most welcome...

Email  

Only parade on Gan as far as I can recall was on April 1st 1968 for the 50th anniversary of the RAF only lasted a few minutes while the flag was raised and that was it. Stn Cmdr at the time was Wing Commander Mullineaux now there was a real gentleman

Email  

The only parade I can remember on Gan was sick parade.

When I look back to how many people were involved with this site when we had the reunions at Odiham and Duxford. There were continuous postings and it was great being here. A lot of us had met up at the 2 reunions and we had a lot to talk about afterwards. It has all stopped now you can go a couple of weeks without a posting on the site. It was a great place but it seems that its all over. I will keep coming on and looking.

Email  

Come on, lads, we can't let this site go down the tubes. There were thousands of guys who passed through Gan over the years, I can't believe they don't give a stuff about the place!

Email  

Apathy certainly seems to be the order of the day. In the the brief 9 months that I was there, there was so much happened, that over the years, with the thousands of people that passed through Gan, there has to be loads of stories/memories that could be put on here to keep it going.....as Delia Smith would say 'come on, lets be 'aving you'.......

Email  

Has Mr Small gone missing again - just look at the guest book which hasn't been enetered (stay calm Rod) for a couple of weeks.
Or are we on the Extinct Species List?
It looks like it from my side of the world - makes me want to take up brewing my own again.
Any suggestions, as I thought the problem had been solved earlier.

Email  

Taff is alive and kicking on Facebook!! Don't know why he doesn't bother his backside about this site!

Hi Larry,I was on Gan 62/63 and never saw anything like a parade, even though we had V.I.Ps staging through constantly.I was at East Fortune last Summer for a W.W.2 day,and was thrilled to see the old Vulcan, telling my wife that I had fuelled up the tankers that had re-fuelled the Vulcans when they flew non-stop from U.K to Australia. I then turned my attention to a Danair Comet4C which was also on display, telling the wife that it was this sort of aircraft,along with Brittania`s that I refuelled during my time in the Maldives. On reading the aircrafts record, imagine how the hair, that I still have on the back of my neck, stood on end when I dicovered that the aircraft had been sold by the R.A.F.to Danair when the six Comets were replaced by V.C 10s, and that I had actually refuelled that very one. I live quite near to you in the Borders so will be in touch regarding the reunion , for now cheers Tony.

Email  

The welsh git is back, alive and kicking. If only we can get him to the reunion in York that would be good.
Are you up for it Taff????

Email  

York...

When is it? Venue ?.. Depending on that and as long as it's it's after March 31st

Email  

Hello Tony Hill,,myself and my old Gan pal Derek,[who lives beside Berwick] along with our wives also went to East Fortune..Regards the hair standing up on your neck--well the Twin Pioneer was used By the RAF during and after confrontation in Borneo and Malaysia and I was sure that was the same plane I flew from Singapore up to RAAF Butterworth in after leaving Borneo at the end of confrontation..YOU have to turn away as your eyes fill up---must be getting soft eH...Larry

Email  

Still going strong. Hoping to have a holiday in Herethera (the island next to Gan) at the end of this year and to visit Gan. Also, looking forward to running around Gan as I used to do in '68. Probably a bit slower now!!

Chris Bell

Email  

Still here - what used to be blond hair, blue eyes and a lythe body is now grey hair, false teeth and relaxed muscle.

Email  

Hi Frank,I am a comparatively new computer user,and active member of the Gan Remembered site,however I am currently co-operating with Derek Ward, another Gannite, to post a whole lot of new, and early material on the site. I have the material and memories, Derek has the scanning and other expertise, so hopefully there will be something new to interest visitors to the site in the near future. hope this is a tiny help to your cause. Cheers Tony Hill

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains