Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan 1942

Gentlemen, my father was a Royal Marine Engineer, posted to Gan in 1942. He was given responsibility for construction of the control tower, after the runway clearance works, and this was accomplished using Teak. Amongst his effects, I have some quite faded photographs of moored landing craft, a very small photograph of the Queen Mary in the bay, and my sister has an equally small photograph of B24 Liberator bombers lined up alongside the runway.
I will gladly post them on this site if you will please let me know the best format. I have already scanned some into Photoshop to try and improve the clarity. Please let me know if you would be interested in receiving these.

Re: Gan 1942

Hello David,

Welcome to the site, its really great to hear from the son of one of the early pioneers of Gan.
I am in the process of reading' From Port T to RAF Gan' and have been reading about those early days.You must be very proud of your father, they had a pretty rough time in the early days and did a fantastic job under the very difficult conditions and circumstances.
I remember reading about the difficulty in obtaining the teak you referred to.
I am sure everyone will be delighted to receive your input to the site.

Regards

Frank

P.S. I was in ATC for my year on Gan but the Control Tower was a bit more comfortable in my time!

Hello David, again, welcome to the site.
The stories you can tell of your dads tour on Gan must be very interesting and we look forward to seeing them. Come on, get them down.

Best wishes

P.S. try this site:

http://110499.aceboard.net/index.php?login=110499

Apologies for the delay, I will try to post some photographs and maybe a little story or two later today.

David

Hello all,
could you please tell me how I can upload photographs to your site. They will be in jpeg format.
I cannot seem to find a method to attach them to posts in the forum, so there must be another way?

Best wishes,

David

David,
Go To Home page.
You will see:-
Wanted. Anything,articles,memories etc.
Email them here.
Regards. Peter G

I arrived in Gan at 1942, Marine Bar 1952, on floor 1959 that was a bad day

Yeah 2008 still telling bad bloody jokes !!!!!!