Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The RAF Gan Website

Due to ill health, I am going to have to hand over the reigns of this site.. If you are interested then contact me.. I'll do my best to transfer the site to whoever would like to take it on.. I use 1&1 and have a site name of www.royalairforcegan.co.uk, this I could easily transfer ..if the person taking over uses 1&1 as a hosting site. I would provide help for a while if needed... Sorry Lads..

Re: The RAF Gan Website

Sorry to hear this Taff, you've done a brilliant job with this site - it's given us all a lot of pleasure. I'm most definitely not up to the job of taking over mind, but hopefully somebody out there fancies it.
All the best

Are you washing your hands off the site then Taff !!!!! That'll be a first then !!!!

Sorry bad joke. Anyway hope you are feeling fit and well soon and hope to see you at the next reunion.

Regards.

Gerd

Over the next few weeks I will update the site with whatever I have received by post or e-mail, which is quite a bit.. As previous posts have alluded to it IS time consuming and unless you are 100%, carrying out updates is a sort of hit and miss affair.. So far no takers. If no one takes it on I will 'mothball' the site, which will most probably be a change of URL and keep it on-line. That is until I am ready to 'resurrect' or someone takes it over. The site is written using Frontpage 2003. Thanks for your kind messages.. Taff

As I have said on Tony's site, I'm sorry you are having to give up the Gan site. Hopefully you will be better soon. Keep your spirits up, or failing that, keep the beer levels up LOL

As a recent newcomer to the website I too am sorry to hear you are having to give up Taff. I'm sorry I cannot offer to take it on, due mainly to lack of experience backed up by my own age and health problems. May I wish you all the very best for the future and a swift recovery from your illness.
Frank.

Hi Taff,

I am really sorry to hear that you are in ill health and I sincerely hope that you see some improvement in the near future.
I would like to be able to offer my help with the site but I really would not have a clue how to go about it.
I am afraid websites are something of a mystery to me,I manage to get into them but that's about it.
Hopefully someone might have the neccessary skills to take it on.
I wish you well Taff and would want to express my gratitude for all you have done to make this site what it is.
It is a credit to you and you have brought a lot of cheer to us old Gannites with some great memories.
My best wishes to you Taff,

Regards

Frank

Come on all you retired techno buffs, someone can surely take over Taffs site.
If I wasn't stil working I would take it over tomorrow.

Any offers from you lot out there?

Taff, you can't be too ill to type an entry on to your site and let us know how you are mate.

I thought working for the NHS you would be as fit as a lop!!

Let us know how you are getting on Phil, that's the main thing.

Best wishes

Tony

Hello Tony, any update on poss reunion Gan 09...Larry.

OK Guys here is a proposal, I will volunteer to take on the site with two others, I have too many sites of my own to maintain this one full time so presumably it could be shared.

What do you reckon Taff, maybe Tony Sirrell might like to chip in and one other, it would have to be someone with experience as a webmaster. My era was late 1950's. I would not be able to start to undertake this role [if accepted] until early November

Someone asked about parades well here is one that was conducted in the noon day sun in the late 50s early 60s

http://rides.webshots.com/album/35920546pDTVzm?vhost=rides&start=108

Hi John, I for one would be delighted to have you as webmaster, albeit on a part time basis as you said. You do a great job on one of the other sites I visit, and I would appreciate you helping out on the Gan site.

Hello boys,just a note to keep you informed regards Taff.Without being specific Phill has not been too well and has also had a bit of bad luck,but being the lad he is and with all our good wishes,he will bounce back.You lads out there that worked with him will know him as a smashing lad,the lads who know him through the site will also know what a great job he makes of it,and I am sure he will be back and once again making a terrific job of RAF Gan memories etc.Taff I personaly wish you all the luck in the world....Larry

Hope to see Taff back on this site as soon as he gets better. All the best from us all, hurry back, mate.

The true value of the site||.As most of you know I send copies of Lonely men-coral command dvds to ex-gannites most weeks,last week mainly mcu lads and one siggie ex-comcen Rod Rush who spent 9 months on gan with me.Rod will confirm,with no shame that his speciality was getting a seat in the front row of the astra.Another lad was Alan Herbert,a roommate of Trevor Haycock,and on the dvd along with Paddy Beecher who has also passed away,,but great memories,good or bad for both of those boys.But what was the best,was an e-mail from a woman[I cant disclose her name]who came on and told me her husband who was on Gan 71/72 was now confined to his bed with a terminal illness and that after finding the site,she spent hours with her husband scolling through the site looking at the photos reading the stories etc.Anyway at her request I sent her the dvds and she came back to me today to say that she had set everything up and she and her husband had sat on the bed and watched them right through,with her man pointing things out that he remembered and how it had changed.She said it was the best she had seen her man for ages and without shame the two of them were sitting on the bed crying thinking back to the good times..I dont know if he was an airman,nco or an officer,but isnt everyone welcome??.Now to all of you that look in but dont post any stories,just think of that lad and what it has brought to him.Maybe it could be one of your forgotten mates that looks at the site next.It has to be kept going if just for those odd occasions....Larry

I think that attention has been drawn away from this site to Tony Sirrells new site where a very few ex-siggies are having a very cheap banter between themselves. How does someone like myself, ex sasf, join in. Kill it all boys your are doing a good job so far.

As being one of the ex-siggies who use Tony's site, for the un-enlightened, there are 5 of us, we were on Gan at the same time, and still keep in contact, and we also have a reunion once a year. So feel free to join in with us anytime - don't just visit and leave without saying anything.

Hey Hutson, get a life mate.

We are as Ron says, ex siggies who were on Gan together. We have our sense of humour so please try and find yours if you can. There is no need to have a go at us as we are just having a laugh.

Cant you find any ex sasf boys to play with then ????

As one of the '5' who regularly meet up on Tony sirrell's site, I cant let Hutson's comments go unanswered.
When Alastair Curragh first started this site, it was 'us siggies', that were the main contributors, and, as more and more people came on board,the banter between different groups got better and better. About 10 of us Siggies have now, for the last 5 or 6 years, had a mini reunion amongst ourselves, as wewere all in Gan at the same time. that in no way implies we have given up on this site, if you look at most of the postings over thelast 12 months, they are from ex Siggies, however, we use Tony's site to keep 'our drivel' amongst ourselves, but still use this site for anything that is anything to do with Gan. There is NOTHING to stop you posting on a regular basis on this site, and if you had a read through Tony's site, you will see that we keep on saying that ourselves, nobody else is keeping it going, so rather than have a dig at the few who are, get involved yourself and do something about the lack of movement on the site, OR BELT UP.
I hate to see this bickering and snide comments amongst ex Gannites, we were/are something special within the RAF, and we can well do without it.

I wasn't going to get involved in this as when I first read your comments Mr Hutson, I didn't think it was worth an answer. But, upon rereading it I thought I would try and set you straight.

Here goes.

Firstly, you are quite free to come on to the "Very cheap banter" site and air your views. That is all it is, and as Rod says so very succinctly "however, we use Tony's site to keep 'our drivel' amongst ourselves".

We all still post on Taffs site, and if you look back on all the postings, you will find the majority of them are from us ex-Siggies.

And, the reason we are all still posting is to keep this site going, as Taff has not been very well lately and is unable to maintain the site. So we thought we would get stuck in and keep it going, along with another stalwart, Larry Dodds.

Don't knock it until you have tried it son!

And by the way, where are all your listed entries on this site? Or am I missing the point!!

As I said above, if you want to come over to the my cheap banter site (where most of it is just chatter and not appropriate to put on here as it would just clog up Taffs site) feel free and no hard feelings.

I might be a bit dense, but the above doesn't seem to have struck a nerve half as much as with you lads.
At least he had the decency to leave his email address.

Just the sentence "How does someone like myself, ex sasf, join in?"
Now that did strike me as odd. I just thought you typed something and hit the send button.
Blatantly obvious from where I'm sitting

I might be a bit dense, but the above doesn't seem to have struck a nerve half as much as with you lads.

Hi there Stud ????

Can you explain the meaning of this sentence as it doesnt quite make sense. Are you really dense ??

Quote "the above doesnt seem to have struck a nerve half as much with you lads" ?????????????????

Hello Mr Muffin, can you explain why you cut and pasted the below paragraph from my chat site, and put it on this site?

"I might be a bit dense, but the above doesn't seem to have struck a nerve half as much as with you lads.

Just the sentence "How does someone like myself, ex sasf, join in?"
Now that did strike me as odd. I just thought you typed something and hit the send button.
Blatantly obvious from where I'm sitting".

There is not a word of orignal input from yourself, just the cut and paste job.
Can you explain to us dim siggies mate?
You've certainly got me curious as to why cut/paste!!

Cos I can and I did

Cos I can, and I did.

Groundhog day, I say, I say!!

I came, I saw, I read, I copied.
Tough ******* Pertunia

Have just got back on line after about 4 days PC-less, and I have read, without much interest, the bleating of Mr. Hutson. Now, anybody who knows me, will tell you that if I hear any bleating, I am very attracted to it, but in your case, I couldn't give a toss. I am another of the "siggie 5", and I echo the retorts of my fellow Siggies, if you dont like what you see on Tony's, or any other site by the way, you are quite at liberty to go elsewhere. OK?

The famous 5 have spoken

Infamous if you dont mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see some of you boys still have a bit fire in you,,but think of your blood pressure,,,at our age you need to conserve all of the pressure for the rare occasions you get the chance to divert it to a more intimate part Larry

Yeah thats Ron's brain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry, its because we dont get the chance now to divert it to 'more intimate pleasures' that we have to let off steam somehow, and that just seemd the perfect chance...rant over now, and back to the gneral humdrum of dailylife...

I think "Taff" will be back in the near future. I hope so anyway.

It would be nice to hear from him on this site again, mothballs only last so long.

Come on "Taff" pick up the reins again mate, they only belong in your hands, no one else could take it on.

You know it makes sense!

In full agreement with Tony. Lets be having you, to coin a phrase of Delia Smiths!!!

Sorry to hear about your illness. I often have a look at the site. Think you have done a great job. Good Luck in the future

I read on another site that Taff Small had been contacted and the chances were that he would return. Let's hope that he does; we miss you TAFF!

Let's hope that's sooner rather than later. It will be great to see you back, and maybe at one of our annual reunions.

I would like to see Taff back.
Maybe some of the others will return also.

I am going to try and update the site in the New Year.. sorry to all who have sent in items for inclusion, I will try and get them all up on site as soon as.

Regards

Taff

Dear Taff - we knew that a techno genius who survived bare footed oggin troggin, doby itch, third degree sunburn, tiger beer poisoning, chuff chart delirium and leaky nissan huts would bounce back.
Lots of love from the female fraternity.
Lorraine x

Hello Phill,great to see you back on song.We need you back now to put our proposed return to Gan on the front page.[see Steve Ellis post] I see Lorraine sent you a kiss, now if that doesnt cheer an old [oldish sorry]gannite up,I dont know what would..By the way Lorraine,nice to see you still look in,now what about a couple of 10sqdn girls coming out to Gan,bring your partners or your families,if we get it organised everyone will be made really welcome...Once again Phil welcome home...Larry

Great news that you are back Taff. The place has not been the same without you. Take your time and dont spoil us too much too soon. Regards Pete

Great to have you back on line, we have all missed you.

Ok, now we have normality back - who is gonna get the beers in ??

PS - WELCOME BACK TAFF

You just cant keep a good 'un down, great to have you back on board Phil.

Good to see you back on line Taff !

Onwards and Upwards eh?