RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

Forum: RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Half sunken tanker

What was the name of the half sunken tanker laying in Gan waters. She was still used by the RN for refuelling. Was she Wave ...... something. Thanks.

Email  
Re: Half sunken tanker

I think it was twelve inches wasn't it??

R U L E R ! !

She was launched 17 January 1946 and was completed within a year. Participated in the Christmas Island nuclear test and fisheries dispute. In 1953 she ran aground at Swansea. She became an oil depot ship at Gan Island in 1971 (replacing Wave Victor) and was sold in 1975.

Email  

Thanks, I was there in 1960 so reckon she must have been the "Victor". Thanks for your help

Email  

Hello Chris
The name of the tanker was Wave Victor, an old grey coloured ship. Not a big ship by any means compared to today's tankers. However, it served somee urpose back then.
I remember it arriving at Gan. It arrived under its own power.
I was working in the Marine Craft Section at the time. Sqdn Ldr Manson, our commanding officer, called all staff togethe and ttod us of the forthcomming arrival of the ship.
I served on Gan from Nov 1960 to Nov 1961. The ship was still afloat and being used for fuel storage, though its engines were decommissioned. I did not rtealise they sank the ship. Do you know when that happened.
Kind regards
Clinton

Email  

No don't know much about it. I was under impression she sunk on sight and was used by passing RN vessels as a fueling stop. I was there about February 1960. Thanks for your information. What is Gan now. Reverted to tourist resort I suppose, any idea.

Email  

Hello Chris,the old tanker was towed to India and scrapped up there..Regards Gan now,been a hotel there for nearly 20yrs,and several others starting to open up around the Atoll..Been back 3 times myself..Will send you a dvd of the place that we made..No charge just e-mail me your adress Larry

Wow, thank for that I am in Thailand now, address: Pahonyothin 21, Supa Lai Park Tower 2, 3/235, Lat Yao, Jatujack, Bangkok 10900.

Thanks for that mate, look forward to it. Cheers.

Email  

Hello Chris,,mind that is some adress,,will put in post tommorow,,Lonely men of coral command[1968 Anglia tv]and my own 69/o3/05..Hope you enjoy the memories....Larry

Thanks Geordie, will surely do. Again mate, thanks a bunch. cheers.

Email  

Hello Chris,looked at those dvds before I posted them,and there is a great picture of the said tanker on my own dvd..Watch with tears in your eyes...Larry...PS we are hoping to have a reunion on Gan 2010,try and get down from Thailand,,just keep an eye on the site for updates......

Hi Chris,
The Wave Victor was changed over to her sister ship the Wave Ruler some time during 1970. They were permanently moored there and used as glorified fuel tanks for the Navy ships.
Cheers,
Dick.

Email  

Just a side reference to Larry and the lonely men of Coral Command,see someone has posted it on U tube in 4 parts if anyone is interested, anyway best wishes to all good health and compliments of the season.Bob

Email  

It was the Wave Victor

Email  

Sorry Chris Tony Sirrel is correct, I got it wrong

Email  

She was called the "Wave Victor". Her "Captain" changed every 6 months.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com