Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ex (and that's definitely the right word) Gannites

Where are all you ex-Gannites. I know you come to this page, don't post, have a look and then go on your way again.

Can you answer me a question?

Why do you not keep in touch with an important and life changing part of your lives?

Are you content to just let life pass you by and hide away?

Why do I care? It's not my website!

To keep in touch with old mates and make new ones for one reason.

Another reason is to find out what life had in store for everyone after Gan.

Come on, you can make a difference. Don't let this website die, because that is what will happen if you just let the "lack of interest syndrome" take over!

Re: Ex (and that's definitely the right word) Gannites

Hello Tony,,when you look through the guestbook and read the posts you are lead to believe the Island was full of fun loving young lads.Full of drink,full of carry-on,now either a lot of those lads are telling porkies or time has taken all the spirit out of them,or are they all henpecked old men..So come on boys let us hear a few stories,makes no differance if they are about Gan or your life and times after....Larry

Well, Larry, when we were there (Tony,Rod, Ron and myself) among others, we were all fresh faced and full of the Tiger, so what happened to the rest of them, I dont know.

I know when I arrived, When I left. Whatever came in the middle is a blur.

I remember arriving, the miidle was a blur, so was leaving!!

Do you mean to tell me that no other ex-Gannites apart from the names listed above this entry have visited this site over the last couple of weeks?

I give in, no that's the wrong terminology. What I meant to say was, I give up on all of you lot out there who ignore your history. Will you visit this site when you have frig all else to do and you are dribbling down your chests?

Your loss!!

I came, I read, I dribbled

I often visit the site to update on possible old acquaintances. My time on Gan (61/62) was an early part of my trip through the university of life. I actually saw it thro' clear eyes and not affected by a beery haze. While I consider my stay to have been important it is only one facet to my life. I will contribute to sensible discussions but most times the theme seems to be about the prowess of ex siggies boasting of their alcoholic input. Put a little more intellect into the content and maybe there will be more posts. Having returned to Gan I fulfilled a promise I made to my friend Abdullah Ali when I left and had the good fortune to meet him again, albeit in sad circumstances. Let's hope that the Adduans will now prosper under 'new management'. Best regards.

Hi,always look in quite regular on the lookout for any ex Gannite trade grp 19s I might know,even got myself on an RAF Gan airport group on facebook though ninety nine
% of the members are our Maldivian friends.
cheers Bob

Pete, I agree with you entirely about people not wanting to contribute regarding the content. There is a time and a place and a bit of banter in it's place is fine. Not just one liners all the time.
Hopefully, the site will pick up and thrive again, as it used to up until a year or so ago.

Let's hope so!

Hello Pete,read on your post that you had met your old pal Abdullah,Iam guessing he was your old roomboy but dont know the circumstances of your meeting..On my first re-visit to Gan I made it a point to try to contact my old roomboy,,,Mo Didi.The hotel workers started to hunt about for me and after two days they found the correct Mo,little MO from Medu[their words].He was about to leave on the plane up to a North Atoll resort where he was still working.They held the plane up and taxid him down to the hotel to meet me.I have to say it was quite emotional for both of us.He recovered enough to take all the American dollars I had in my pocket,with a promise to take me to visit his home if we ever met again.I have been back twice since,. but he has always been working away.Next time out I will go to Medu as I have been given his phone number and he says ,if he knows I am coming he will be there.. ..Tony has the photo of our meeting and will post it on his site as soon as Larry

Hi Larry. Abdullah was in fact the SHQ runner when I was working there as a J/T. I remember one day asking where my tea was. His reply was 'Mr Hosborne you only have one stripe, Mr Sergeant there has 3, you have to wait!'.When I left Gan he gave me 2 knives made on his home island (Hitaddu)and I had the pleasure of returning them to him on my visit. The only drawback was that he was bedridden and not 100% lucid but we did communicate. It was through him that I learnt early in life that money and material possessions are not necessary to having a broad smile on your face all the time. Anyway I was invited to Sunday lunch with the whole family, including 2 granddaughters who were studying in the States and acted as translators for the rest of the family. A really emotional experience which brought real tears especially seeing the physical state of my old mate who was so active 40 plus years previously. C'est la vie!

Hello Pete,I should have added that last time back 05,we were all invited to another old pal,Mohammed Rasheed[blue lagoon]on Hittadu to share everything his family had at his house.I know you have done it,but for the other lads out there,you have to go to there house to understand just how much they value your friendship.I dont think they are wealthy people but they must have had everything on the table that was available to them..I was a bit wary of making a pig of myself,thinking that we may have been taking the food out of their mouths,but nothing could have been further from the truth..I had been taking fishing line-hooks-lures etc out for the family and in return we were offered everything they had including a model dhoni..Tony Sirrel went out the next year and gave Mo the photos.They are all on my photos on this website.Great memories Larry.....

Hi all, are there an ex-Tanker Wa****s out there???
(1973/4)