Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It was 40yrs ago today

Nothing special boys,just been looking through my Gan memorabilia box and noticed it was 40yrs ago that I left Lyneham for Gan.Did not have a clue where it was thinking it was in the Gulf somewhere..Pleasant surprise when I saw the greenery,never forgotten the old place,good or bad times,and looking forward to seeing her again 5th time along with 60/70 of you next year OK ..LARRY

Re: It was 40yrs ago today

40 years ago today, I was in the middle of my tour in Cyprus, Episkopi to be exact. I have to say, I preferred my 9 months on Gan, to my 3 years in Cyprus.

40 years ago was exactly one year before I joined the RAF. Stuck in a dead end job totally ****** off.

1 year later, best decision I ever made in my life, bar none!!

Come on Willie - me thinks we were still at Stanbridge, I left for Changi in May, and I think you left for Epi in June or July, there again you may have left before me, can't recall but anyway wot are we gonna do for the 50th ??

Ron, methinks the ale has addled your grey matter. 40 years ago was 1969 and I was in my second year in Cyprus. My tour was 1968-71. As to 50 years, that will be 2019, and I will be 72!! But if youre up for a 50th anniversary beer or ten, count me in!