Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Lady on Gan

For those who may be interested I have just come across the photograph I have been looking for ever since I first discovered the Gan Remembered site.
It is of the arrival of the very first WRVS lady on Gan. She is stepping down from the RAF Transport Command Comet to a welcoming committee of a few OR's including yours truly, Geoff Smith and Tony Hill,I think, all three Stn. Armoury(SASF) the others whose names I cannot remember were probably all SASF ground crew. Sadly there are no further details as to date of arrival or the lady's namebut at least we can all say "I Was There!"

Re: First Lady on Gan

The photograph mentioned in my previous post re: First Female resident on Gan I have now e-mailed to Taff Small for inclusion in the photo gallery. If anyone recognises either themself or others please e-mail me with details. The date must have been around late August to October 1960. I was on leave in Penang for two weeks in August and I left Gan for home in Novemer. I am 3rd from left on photo, 2nd from left I think is Tony Hill and 5th left facing away from the action is Geoff Smith. Tony and Geoff were both J/T armourers and my colleagues in the Stn. Armoury. I will be pleased to hear from anyone from those wonderful days.

Hello Frank,,if you google wrvs,their website will pop-up.I know they have records recording all their service records for the ladies.I dont know if they will release that information,but you can always try.I am sure a list of all the Ladies that served on Gan,would be of some interest...Larry

Thanks Larry(Geordie) for that WVS advice I'll try that later.
Incidentally whilst surfing one of the ex-service sites late last night I came across a posting from a Peter Hill who was apparently on SASF Gan during the whole of my year on the island 1959/60 and mentions some mutual friends whose names I had forgotten and in particular an incident where ,and I quote,"some idiot left a shark in the bathtub one night"
The problem now is that the posting is about 3 years old and I don't know if I can still contact the guy. There was no e-mail address on the posting. His name is Peter Hill, also I believe, known as Philly.
This is actually the very first Gannite I have come across in 2 or 3 years of searching who really means something in terms of past Gan friends and memories and I'd like to contact him if Poss. I shall be delighted if you or anyone who knows Peter could put me in touch with him or pass my details on to him. After all it is now almost 50 years since we were on the Island.
Many thanks Frank

Hello Frank,regards your old mate Peter Hill,your best bet is to go onto facebook,put his details in..ie pete hill raf gan,and you can nearly bet that someone who knows him or some family member will come on..Larry..

I arrived on Gan in February 1960 and I think the WVS lady was there then, she must have been in her 50s and was very pleasant. I can't remember her name although Sue keeps coming to me

I got there in 1972, and by the age the woman looked, it was probably the same woman!!

I have just Googled the question of the first WVS lady on RAF Gan and it took me to Philip Small's site where he remembered her name as Gwen Caton and I'm sure thats right thinking about it

Problem solved at last gents. Taking Larry Dodds advice I contacted the WRVS Archivist and two days ago received a letter from him confirming that Gwen Caton did indeed arrive on Gan on either 3rd or 4th of October 1960. Sorry Terry, your date of February 1960 was a bit shy of the mark. Are you sure it wasn't 1961 when you arrived? Thanks to Larry for that suggestion. WRVS were very grateful for a copy of the photograph since they have very little other than written records to do with their operations on Gan.

Hello Frank and well done.If you have a wrvs contact ask them if they know if any of the ladies are still around and if there is any ,,do they have contact with them. If you get a positive reply,I will send them copies of the Lonely men dvd and they can forward them on to the ladies.I am sure every lady that spent time out there would love to see the place again...Larry

hello boys,,after contact with Frank and WRVS archives officer,I have received requests for Lonely men dvds..Now for the archives officer to forward a dvd to any of the wrvs ladies,he needs to know their full name [ie mrs joan smith]and approx date on Gan.The wrvs database only holds the ladies names and not their service records,,so I am asking for any help you can provide iin this matter..thank you Larry