Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mike Tyrala

My father was stationed for one year in Gan. 1968 to 69 I think. He was a meteorologist and had come from Poland during the second world war and then settled in the uk. He went for the year to Gan and sent many slides and gifts back to his four daughters. I still have a shell carved out with the word Gan on it and many other shells that he was allowed to bring back. I have a lot of slides of his time there. Does anyone remember a short dark haired Polish man from those years? My father died in 1977 and so I didn't have much time to find out too much about his time on Gan.

Thanks

Susannah

Re: Mike Tyrala

Hello Susannah
I worked for the Met Office 1965-2004 and did nearly two years on Gan, but after your Dad. However I did a few stints in the Met Office at the old Liverpool Airport and there was a Polish forecaster there called Mike, but I can't remember his surname. This Mike played a violin, could he have been your Dad?

Ray Taylor

Re: Mike Tyrala

Thank you for that. I don't think that it was the same Mike as my father didn't play the violin. I don't think that he ever went to Liverpool either. WE did Cyprus and he did Bahrain on his own. My younger sister and family are going to the Maldives in a week and they hope to visit Gan for the day. Thank you for replying and I am sorry for the late response.
Susannah