Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan 1989

Way back in '89, my wife and I visited Gan to assess a possible Joint Venture with the Maldives Government to set up "Indian Ocean Bunkering", using the tank farm and facilities at Gan.
It came to naught, but we believe to this day that it would have worked well.
Our visit was just for the day, but it left a powerful and indelible impression on us. Mostly sadness. To see the deserted buildings, the mess with the snooker table looking as if the ghosts had just been interrupted in their game, but at the same time a certain pride at such a vital role that the base played.
Sad, too, at it's demise (not unlike HMS Mauritius).
I don't suppose we'll ever go back - and experience the wonderful curry that the local Maldivians/Adduans prepared for us and served to us in the Sergeant's Mess.
We both hope that your organisation will be able to keep Gan memories alive for many more decades to come. If we're left with a sense of loss and nostalgia after just one day, we can only imagine what it must be like for you guys.
Take care and stay safe
John & Julie Dalby
www.marinerisk,com

Re: Gan 1989

What a very moving post. Every time I read something like that it brings back memories of the island, of the times we had there, of the people we met which I, for one, have never forgotten. We are going back next March for a reunion, which I am very much looking forward to, I think it will be a very emotional experience for all of us. We also have a reunion every year somewhere in the UK, but to return to Gan will be entirely different. I wouldn't miss it for the world. Thank you for putting some of my thoughts into print.

Re: Gan 1989

Smashing post John,,I have been back 3 times,03/04/05,I will regret for the rest of my life that I did not try to go back in the 80s or 90s.You would not know the place now,but I think your good idea would maybe be possible now as I am being lead to believe that cruise ships are going to start using the place.I dont think the military will ever return,but who knows what is around the corner looking at the state of the world....Larry