Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello Everyone From 1969 - Great 2 Find You Larry

This is wonderful. Cannot imagine why I have never investigated this site before.

I was stationed on Gan from Jan 1969 to Jan 1970.
Anyone know what happened to Sgt Jack Biddle, bit of a lad with the booze, worked in Commcen as did I.

What about Sgt Mack [Black Mac as he was affecionately known].

Anyone remember Brian Greenwood, Mick Huntley, Derek Ward, Eric Wilson, Larry Dodds et al.

Radio Gan was my hang out when not sailing the waters in the "Blodwyn Pig" a white canoe with what passed as some kind of sail attachment.

I achieved the lofty position of Senior Announcer and presented "The Scene Machine" and "Variations On A Scene" which seemed to be quite popular shows.

In the "Tea Room" at the rear of the building we would be making a horrendous racket by way of bashing on guitars and drums much to the consternation of anyone who was brave enough to enter in search of some light refreshment - and a cup of tea was just not going to cut it.

I am still in touch with Derek Ward who lives in a little village just north of the border in Scotland.

Later,

Mick.

Re: Hello Everyone From 1969 - Great 2 Find You Larry

Remember you very well RE music and that canoe!!.Been back 3 times and going again in march..Speak to Derek most weeks and meet often for a few drinks..Will speak to you again..Larry

Well Well. All I have done for the last few hours is trawl thru' this great site full of awesome memory joggers/pictures etc.

Came across a guy called Andy Souter who was there twixt 74/75 I didn't know him but knew of him thru Derek.

So pleased to hear that you are in touch with the old grizzled one, pass on my best when you next see the lad.

Love to be part of your trip in March but pennies tight these days.

I have a few pics that I will send to you but they are all of me that someone took one day and two of them are with the canoe with a Vicky 10 taking off in the background - got one of Derek also plus myself and Mick Huntley in the billet and a blurry one of me at the controls at RG.

What a strange retrospective way to start off a new decade.

Cheers the gnu,

Mick

Hi there, just read your thread, you mentioned Sgt Black Mac, he was my Sgt at Hendon when I left Gan mid 74, what a character, he by then had divorced his first wife, re-married, but was still seeing his first on the sly, terriffic bloke

cheers

from an old Siggy