Return to Website

RAF Gan Message Board

Welcome To The RAF Gan Message Board

RAF Gan Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gan airmens scholarship??

Hello boys---when Taff updates this site,he will show a letter we received from the people of Gan/Fedu.We were all given a copy of this letter during our--meet the locals--evening at the reunion dinner.The letter outlines all the false promises that those islanders were given at the time of the RAF leaving GAN.They were in fact left almost destitute with the [government!!]taking everything that was of any use and of course no employment with the RAF gone..They were told they could have their island back just as they had been given it back after WW11,it never happened of course and now with tourism etc taking hold it never will..They ask in this letter if there was anyway us ex-RAF could help get them some sort of compensation for their abandonment all those years ago..I dont think that there is a snowballs chance in hell of anything being done now by the MoD or the British government..If any of you have been back or are going back,,,just step behind the main street of Fedu and see the squalid conditions they still live in..NOW this is the suggestion!!!We were thinking of trying to contact as many gannites as we could,in the hope of asking for a token donation[maybe £5]for to either make a donation to their hospital/school,,or the favourite seems to be to provide a scholarship..You all have to understand that this would be totally provided by the ex-Gan airmen with no official involvment by any government agency etc.,after all we only did our tour there and had no say in the closure or abandonment of the Gan/Fedu people..This suggestion is of course open to discussion before anything is decided,and if any of you have any experience in organising anything of this nature,you are most welcome to become involved..Now of the 20000 or so airmen that served on Gan--its time to show yourselves,,,read the letter when Taff posts it and then lets see if the ex-gan airmen can leave something for the Gan/Fedu people to remember us by.There is something to read on Tonys site ex-gannites-raf.activeboard.com.....I am sure if we can all get together we can leave a lasting memory of the Airmen on GAN Thank you Larry

Re: Gan airmens scholarship??

Hi Larry,

Very sorry to hear that the locals were abandoned in such a way. I don't suppose we should be too surprised though....that's politicians for you!
I think the Scholarship is a great idea. Count me in for a donation. I guess some kind of charitable foundation would need to be set up. Anyone out there any experience of this?

Cheers,

Mike.

Larry,

Further to my previous post, I have been sufing the net and found plenty of free help available on setting up charities etc.

It would appear though that one has to be clear about one's objectives and the impact the organisation would have on the beneficiaries.

Raising funds initially may not be so much of a problem, but what about long term? None of us are getting any younger and there are no ex-gannites to follow us. Bequests would be helpful if people are so minded.

Are we seeking funds to employ a teacher on Gan/Fedu or sending a student or students to Male?

Have we a liaison on Gan who could co-ordinate our efforts and who could establish the approximate annual cost of such a venture?

I think the idea is well worth investigating but I'm sure there will be more questions than answers to begin with. Collectively I am sure we should be able to help in some way.

I hope this at least stimulates a meaningful discussion.

Mike.

Below is a link to the Letter that Larry mentions.
It makes interesting and sad reading and anything that Larry can organise and we can dig all the other ex-Gannites out of the woodwork would be great. Any ideas you lot out there?

http://www.tonysirrell.com/raf-gan-reunion-2010-letters.php

Hello Mike and all,,,yes we have a contact on Fedu,a teacher educated in Edinburgh,there is also my friends daughter who is presently training to be a teacher[in India]I also know quite a few civic figures on the Island..I have mentioned our idea but of course we cant push-on untill we know the extent of interest..I have today had some positive interest from MCU members who will be bringing the matter up at their next meeting,where they are hoping for a positive response..Can any of you post a +or- regards the idea,on either this or Tonys site..Thank you ..Larry

Hello boys,,have today received from a Mr Abloh Saeed,,Addu consultancy centre,an e-mail saying they could facilitate and contribute in some way towards awarding a scholarship,with us as ex-airmen having the final say on candidate selection..He also says we have the blessing of the Province Minister.I have asked some questions regards cost..If it seems to pricey then we can buy some equipment for their hospital..Had plenty of pledges of funds,but only from people I know,what of you other lads??----Keep looking in should know details next week..Larry

Hello boys,,reply from Mr Abloh Saeed.....Abloh Saeed june5 at 9.47am...Re Gan airmens scholarship?? ----Larry,,The medical centre does need extra equipment...but it might be better to spend say around £3000 per year for 3 years and educate 1or2 students,lets say in India or Malaysia..It would be called the Gan Airmens Scholarship and will carry prestige in addition to motivating students to try and do better........That is just as I received it Larry....NOW what do you all think,,a bit help please...PS Tony should have a copy on his site shortly..L

Hi Larry,

At your suggestion of say a fiver per head we would need 600 pledges per year to raise the £3,000 required. It follows that we would need 300 pledges at £10 each or 150 pledges at £20 each.

I know it's not easy raising funds and many ex-Gannites are now pensioners, but at less than 50p per week, I will wllingly pledge £20 per year. Can we find 149 others?

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Mike,,,there was well over 10,000 men served on Gan,,,and some of the posts on the site have over 1000 visits,so the lads are out there,,and I just dont believe that any of them would begrudge a few pounds.Of course simple mathematics shows the more people the less each needs to donate..One of the lads at the reunion has around £150 to donate and I have pledges from lots of lads[and a VC10 Q].These are all what we would call regular site people,,its the others we need to contact.I have today asked HSBC to open an account for us,they have a branch in MALE and transfer of any Maldivian money anyone has left,will not cause a problem.I will post my adress etc when I get an account name--suggestions please ie Gan airmens fund???---Come on then boys,lets have a real go,I will personally match the highest donation[looks like you Peter] and if it really takes off,we will run some sort of competition for one of you to go out and make the presentation,,got to be worth a few quid...Larry-- Mike ,look on new stuff, Mick Hollaway is on looking for ex-teammates..L

With so many people saying just how much Gan meant to them, when they were stationed there, this is an ideal way to show just how much it did mean to them. Its so bloody simple, walk into any HSBC (once the account details are known), slap a crisp £10/20 note on the counter, and hey presto, you then become part of an everlasting memento of our time there. there are hundreds of you out there who regularly read these posts, and never contribute, fair enough, but this does not involve you writing anything on here, just go and bloody do it......

OK! What have you done with the REAL Rod Matheson!!!??