Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Jesus Culture.

I just want to give my brothers and sisters in Christ a warning about this group...There's more in depth stuff but I'd just like your opnion on that for now. I feel it's important to warn brothers and sisters in Christ when something isn't right. And I know this isn't going to be too popular....I just hope it helps atleast someone.

Re: Jesus Culture.

There was some discussion a number of months back on RITA Now about the "Jesus is my boyfriend" element in Christian music. I fully agree that this kind of music is indistinguishable from any standard fluff about romantic love. The unstated mentality behind producing such music is that direct references to Jesus Christ or Christian theology are unwelcome and might even be considered embarrassing to the audience. Therefore "you" is the one being addressed, whoever that might be, and the end result is a hollow emotionalism.

Emotions are fine, although they are not what our faith is built upon. It is not worth much to stir up feelings when you have no object that those feelings are attached to. It becomes nothing more than an ode "To Whom It May Concern." It is hard to insist a song comes from the heart when the one being sung to might be anyone or anything.

Sadly though that isn't the end of it,brother.

http://jesuscultureawakening.blogspot.com/

http://apprising.org/2013/01/25/jesus-cultures-spiritual-mother-cindy-jacobs-admits-shes-a-false-prophet/

"for educational and discussion purposes only"

Love me some Jesus Culture. I've been listening to this group for over three years now and have seen all this stuff all over the internet. It is the epitome of a critical spirit...just my opinion. Their music blesses me a leads me into worship. Don't believe everything you read or see on the internet.

CLICKABLE LINKS

http://jesuscultureawakening.blogspot.ca/

http://apprising.org/2013/01/25/jesus-cultures-spiritual-mother-cindy-jacobs-admits-shes-a-false-prophet/

I was spooked by the girl Kim Walker on Youtube...

But Thank YHWH, MyRockIsChrist for these links!!!

Glory to YHWH

Daniel

I am confused- I thought "Jesus Culture" was the name of a Christian singing group - now I am reading about a cult in California - who are we talking about here? Are they one and the same? someone please explain....

Okay, folks, let's put down the torches and pitchforks for a moment, shall we? LOL I have my own pet peeves about Jesus Culture and Bethel Church. My church seems to ADORE them, and I have struggled in prayer feeling a desire to leave my church and yet seeming to be led to stay. I'm in a rut that seems right to me to leave, but God seems to be telling me otherwise. Anyway, that's my own struggle, so I do understand the skepticism of Jesus Culture/Bethel, because I, too, am skeptical.

That being said...

I am absolutely, totally, amazingly, completely, wonderfully, and unashamedly IN LOVE WITH MY GOD. He is not my boyfriend, granted, nor do I limit Him to a romantic love. However, one cannot escape the obvious "eros" within the passion buried deep inside those who are overtaken by God in their hearts. I just did a study on my blog regarding Cana and the changing of water into wine. I highly recommend you read it for further understanding of where I'm coming from:

http://yahwehishisname.blogspot.com/2013/07/cana-communion-and-christ.html

Do not misunderstand me here. What I mean by "eros" does not include improper thoughts or actions regarding Christ. I wrote this on another post on my blog:

This cannot be fully encompassed by phileo (brotherly/friendship), storge (familial), or agape (unconditional/selfless) love. This kind of love has a touch of eros (romance), we cannot deny it. Lovers know every detail about each other. Every inch, every secret. Every hope, dream, and delight. This is the foundation of the First Great Commandment. God wants more than lip service, He wants it all, every piece of ourselves: our hearts, our souls, our minds, even our very strength. This is passionate love.

If God didn't want us to have this kind of passion for Him, He wouldn't have given us the allegory in Song of Solomon. This isn't a book only for women. So "judging" the singer of the Jesus Culture for being "in love with Jesus" because he's a man is overlooking the depth, width, and height of Scripture. Granted, the word "lust" is a poor, poor choice of lyric. So, too, is the "sloppy wet kiss" in another of their songs. And perhaps on that merit alone we should be discerning.

But it is absurd to be judgy of someone for being in love with God! That's the WHOLE POINT of the First Great Commandment! Come on, let's not be Pharisees here. God wants our entire passion, even above and beyond our spouse! He wants our Greater Love, and how can we give our Greater Love to Him without being IN LOVE with Him?

As I said in my blog study on Cana, this is the mystery of our relationship to Him -- changing the water to wine. The ordinary to extraordinary. Gratitude for salvation into love for Christ.

I've never been a fan of the "over-the-top propaganda" of the Wretched show. That guy just wigs me out every time with his sing-song voice, puppet-like facial expressions, and caricatured movements. Yes, Christ was a man. Yes, men can be in love with Him. People, quit thinking horizontally and start to think vertically! This goes beyond "sex" and into eternity! This is becoming intimate with Yeshua!

If you don't like the verbiage "in love with Christ", you certainly won't like "being intimate with Yeshua." And if you don't ever take this plunge with God, you'll never go to the next level and have your water turned into wine.

I'm pretty sure you guys know me well enough now to know that I don't view Yeshua as a boyfriend figure. But, He IS my Greater Husband, and I am 100% abandoned to Him. I will never apologize for it, either.

What is this if it's not being in love with Him?

~~Becka

Email: rebeccagoings@gmail.com

Jesus Culture is the name of a Youth Ministry, focused on music, in a church that smells, looks, walks and talks like a cult. (Yes it is the name of a band but they are the ministry dependent of this "Church"

You'll be fixed after just a few minutes in this video, but there is more everywhere.

Bill Johnson (google that) is the pastor: He believes

that Jesus was born again
that he performed miracles not as God, but a as human perfectly in tune with God
etc

At the beginning this video shows that this youth leader and the ministry "Jesus Culture " only talk about "feeling" the love of God, and they are there to provide an encounter, in the presence of God...
Never mentioning the bloody sacrifice of Jesus, salvation, repentance; caring for the lost etc

They are part of a greater movement, targeting the youth.
please research that, a good place would be the links given by MyRockIsChrist

Or Here: Below is a Video of the leader of that Church Bethel, that is responsible for that ministry "Jesus Culture": YOU'LL BE CONVINCED IN 4 MINUTES 20 SECONDS OR LESS!

Matthew 7:15-19
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Be all blessed of YHWH

Daniel

Matthew 22:38 . . Jesus said: . . , You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. . . "

That's relational, that's passionate ~~ directly from our God in the purest form of commandment to know Him in Spiritual intimacy~ not as our boyfriend, God forbid, but as our God and Groom of the Heavenly Bride, as God and Creator to be reverently honored and 'feared' in the wisdom of His passionate Love for us and we to Him~~

God is s-o-o-o-o-o relational, . . directing us to know Him and love Him passionately . ~The Price was immeasurable tearing down the veil ~~ HE calls us to enter in to the Holy of holies ~~ what's more intimate?

Is prayer a drudgery to some? doesn't need to be . . communion of the deepest kind is spirit to Spirit with the Living God! It is relationship with the Lord God ~~ Jesus died for such intimacy with the Living God. Jesus in the Father, and we in Jesus . .oh, the immersing of the Spirit's power is passionate through the Son! ~~ our new nature longs in continuance to know the Lord God, in Intimate worship causes discovery of Who He is. Alive, Passionate, and Powerful~

. . our God is Spirit and Truth and delights when His children move in pursuit for Him . . by faith, Jesus says to KNOW HIM ~~the Great Pursuer created us to worship and adore Him ~~ what's higher and more lofty among the reborn in Jesus than spirited and intimate adoration of Him ~~

our purpose? To exalt and love and express worship to the Creator and God of our very spirits and souls ~~

God's perfect pursuit is gloriously passionate, isn't it ~~ His first commandment is not a request, but a commandment

God, (Who needs nothing) has revealed Who and what satisfies our souls, we were made for His pleasure going for more of Himself granted in us . . want passion for Jesus and His beauty and splendidness immersing our soul, spirit, and mind? . . Jesus says He is ours to behold . . for our renewed nature is passionate for Christ Jesus . .

I really hope this isn't going to cause a devision...but the truth has to come out

http://www.donotbesurprised.com/2013/01/jesus-culture-and-judah-smith-to-join.html

"for educational and discussion purposes only"

Look down. I can't copy it because it is a picture but here's the quote. They think God spoke to them.

The members of Jesus Culture claim that the Lord spoke to them, revealing the characteristics of their movement (which noticeably does not include repentance or sanctification, only love and supernatural experience), commissioning them to "mobilize this new breed," and in so doing issued a mandate to Jesus Culture that cannot be ignored. Taking this to its logical conclusion, then, to question the actions or words of Jesus Culture and its members is to question God Himself.

Examination of this website further reveals that the goal of this group is to lead people into an experience or an "encounter" with God. It seems that truth may be cast aside in favor of temporary and potentially deceiving experiences.

Thank you,brother. I just don't know how to do that to links.

Don't think I was defending Jesus Culture and/or Bethel Church. I am well aware of the "glory cloud" and "gold glitter" and the weirdy-weirdness that goes on.

I came to this thread only to defend being in love with Jesus, and that it's true and Biblical. But "in love" is only the way we in the flesh can describe this burning passion. It goes FAR BEYOND eros. It's as high above eros as the heavens are above the earth. "I am my Beloved's and His desire is for me." Songs 7:10.

But being "in love" with Christ is as close as we can come to describing it. I certainly don't feel this way toward my husband. And how I feel toward my husband isn't the way I feel toward God, but that doesn't negate the fact that "in love" and "intimate" and "longing for" God are the only human, fleshly words that describe the level of love I have for my Creator.

~~Becka

Becka, the title of this thread is:

Jesus Culture

Be blessed of YHWH
and your Family

Daniel

My Rock Is Christ,

go here:
http://pub48.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=4086901292&frmid=13&msgid=1097049&cmd=show

Perian will show you how to do it.
You need to have FIREFOX, Change to it if you don't use it, as it is the best and most secure, and NEW NEW RITA is optimized for it just google it;
then you want to install in it a thing called BBCODEXtra! again kjust google it

And you will be the champion!

Be blessed of YHWH

Daniel

I'm well aware of the title to the thread. My problem arose when the man from Wretched (the original video posted about Jesus Culture music) seemed to scoff at the idea of being in love with Jesus.

~~Becka

Thanks Daniel. I don't know really anything about installing programs though.

Sorry,Becka,about the video...Forgive me.

Ok My ROck IS Christ

I'll teach it in an upcooming post in here ok?

gotta go

Thanks,brother

MyRockIsChrist

your example:

http://jesuscultureawakening.blogspot.com/

YOU HAVE TO WRITE IT LIKE BELOW BUT REMOVE ALL THE @ I HAD TO PUT THERE

<@a href="ht@tp://jesuscultureawakening.blogspot.com/"@>ht@tp://jesuscultureawakening.blogspot.com/<@/@a>

You will have to do that with any address you want to be clickable.
copy these things somewhere so you can paste them when you need them!

Be blessed of YHWH

Daniel

Thank you,brother.

I would like to go on the record and say the Lord has been opening my eyes more and more to this movement these past few days. Many thanks to MRIC and Daniel for posting this thread and being true to the original message of the thread. I have known for awhile about Bethel and Jesus Culture because they're such a big influence on my church. It's *always* made me feel uncomfortable, but I always stayed, because I was going to church and I do love the people.

In prayer, I heard no firm answer from God to leave my church, and every time I went, I'd hear people praise my posts on FB or my blog, and I thought God wanted me there to shine a light for them. When I first attended, it was amazing. I was learning left and right, I was sucked into the "romance" of it all, of finding a new church, meeting new people, and praising the Lord with them. Over time, as I continued to do my own study, I became more and more dissatisfied with the sermons. I wanted meat, they were preaching milk. I wanted firm Biblical exegesis, and I did not get it.

But again, I loved the people, so I stayed. I loved my small group, and book club was great too for fellowship.

In these past few weeks, God has been leading me through Psalms, and I came across this verse in Psalm 119:99:

"I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation."

I had to take a step back from that Scripture for a moment, because God was shining a BIG light on it for me. This is what I have been feeling for awhile now, but didn't want to sound full of pride for saying it. You know, you want to be humble, and lofty thoughts of being more learned than those teaching you isn't exactly a humble thought. I don't know the Bible backwards and forwards. I know what God illuminates, and that's about it. So having this mindset didn't sound humble. Yet it was truth. God was telling me that I've outgrown my church.

Now, this is a separate issue than my church being involved with Bill Johnson. That just gave me a bad taste, how much they venerate Jesus Culture, Bethel, and The Message Bible. (Don't get me started on The Message...) Or, maybe it's not a separate issue.

What I have learned from my own Bible study is the absolute MAJESTY of God. What I see at Bethel is a demotion of God's majesty to gold dust - even my church had a guest speaker who claimed they had gold dust on them during worship (I wasn't there that Sunday, or I likely would have walked out).

I have learned the beauty of Christ, and how He is laced all throughout Scripture.
What I have seen at my own church is a neglect to teach the Word of God. They teach on a "theme" and use choice Scripture as a springboard for their laid-back lecture.

Just this morning, I have felt convicted by God to really dig in and study these people and make a definitive decision. I did watch another Wretched with Todd Friel about Bethel Church, even though I don't like his schtick. Goofiness aside, he was absolutely right about their encounters with God (without the Word), the word of faith movement, and Kingdom now.

Even though I love the people I've gone to church with for the past year and a half, I now know without a doubt God is calling me out of this church (it's a Vineyard). The Vineyard has always been charismatic, and I even got baptized in a Vineyard, but things changed after the 1994 "Toronto Blessing" and have never been the same. I have been doing some research, and I think I actually have Baptist leanings, if I were to categorize myself denominationally.

So now, I don't know what to do. Please pray for me. I haven't broken the news to my church yet, as I just made the decision today to quit attending. There's a Calvary Chapel up the road, where I used to attend years ago, but I'm kind of gun shy now of trying it again, considering it was birthed by the same "Jesus People" movement of the '70's that the Vineyard was. Calvary Chapel is less charismatic as the Vineyard, but still, I don't know. Maybe I should try a Baptist church? Or go search for a more traditional church. But I'm afraid I'll find a stuffy lot of Pharisees, a stand-up-sit-down let's focus on tradition more than Christ congregation, or another situation where I spend more time with God than the pastor himself.

In other words, I'm wondering if it's worth it. God has been doing a fine job of teaching me, not only on my own, but through pastors online that I love. If I lived closer to their churches, I'd go there. An example would be Alistair Begg. I love him. But pastors always tell you to go find a church, that we were meant to be a community. And yet I feel like I only go for community, that I don't get fed there spiritually.

Maybe pray for me, that I'll have clarity for what God wants me to do. I need it to be obvious, because I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (lol).

Thanks for listening, and thanks again for posting this thread. I believe I was mixing up proper love for God through prayer and study of His Word with experiencing Him in some "touchy-feely" way outside of prayer and study. We CAN be in love with God, but in the right context. Thankfully, God has been preserving His doctrine and reverence within me, as I've NEVER been comfortable with Bethel, Bill Johnson, or Jesus Culture. Hopefully this experience of mine is meant to teach me further as a child of God and perhaps help others in this same predicament. God doesn't do anything "just because."

Church-less, but thankfully not Christ-less,
~~Becka

Gee, I sure miss that "thakyou" button because I would thank everyone on this post. All great posts.

David R>> "Emotions are fine, although they are not what our faith is built upon."

That's exactly it. We cannot rely on our emotions, we rely on our faith.

Be blessed of YHWH Becka

Daniel

Becka,I understand what you mean.

The church I used to go to was so seeker friendly. Yes,they liked Jesus Culture. One time before the sermon they even had gangum style played on the screen. First time I seen it and I was so creeped out. They also had other songs,like the secular songs from the 70's,played before the sermon. I thank God that He got me out of there. And I understand what you mean. At first I liked it. It got worse and worse eventually.

Praying for you,dear sister. :hugs: Remember Proverbs 3:5-6

And I have similar fears about finding a church. Is it going to be so watered down or are they going to be so stuck up if you don't wear a suit or dress? It's a good thing the Lord has given us fellowship online.

Becka very well put,
and not the only non-religious christian around here,
not quite sure of where they belong, church-wise.

you have a calvary chapel?
as in j.d. farag calvary chapel?
surely that would be perfect if they preached on endtimes etc as well as the word?

i wished j.d. were my local pastor too.

the local christian radio asked 'why dont people do to church so much?' and i responded because so few are preaching the truth and warning the fold about the times we are in, dangers of islam why hgay marraige isnt biblical etc.
but all 2 christian commentators found my comments way too fundamentalist. and that would scare people away.

traditional churches are nice for the old hymns. but sadly just that, traditional, no longer spirit-led, at all. sad.

God bless you in your church search. you have christ and that is all that matters in the end.

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but upon going through old threads, I saw this and felt compelled to post. This will be long, bear with me!

I'll first say I love Jesus Culture. I've been listening to them on and off for about 3 years and like Joseph, I've been nothing but blessed by their music. They are indeed an anointed band---God's presence is always over their songs and I sense it every time.

Here are the lyric to one of my favorite worship songs, that happen to be sung by Jesus Culture.

"Verse 1:

I’m alive to bring glory to You, King
God of victory, You are my passion
It’s in the way You are, You don’t change at all
Great and humble God, You are my passion
Pre-chorus:
My strength in life is I am Yours
My soul delights because I am Yours
Your will on earth is all I’m living for
Chorus:
Jesus, I glorify; Jesus, my love is Yours
You are my heart’s desire; I live to know You more"

Its basically my motto!

I have looked at some of the criticism against them, and much of what is said is either completely off or is a misinterpretation of the group.

For example, Jesus Culture is aware of the need for sins and repentance.

Here's more lyric from their song "We cry out" "Oh Lord we cry out
we've been lost change our hearts to Yours
Oh God we repent for our sin and we turn to You again
and we turn to You".

However, the focus of their ministry is for people to know God, to experience God in a way that has not already been preached. Hardly anyone is talking about the love of God and his desire to meet with people, to tell them "I love you, come to me, I died for you". Jesus Culture is one of the few groups that does this. Perhaps God wants this message out there, in addition to what is already made known , that "you're a sinner". Maybe people have already heard this, they probably already know they are sinners (their conscious condemning them), but because of certain portrayls of God as wrathful and always angry, they are too afraid to come to him....some people are like this and need another approach.

I was one of those people. Before I was saved, I had this image God as sitting in the clouds, cold and distant. I was afraid to surrender to him and let go of my desires. I was also ashamed to come to him. However, when I finally did come to him, I was blown away by his LOVE. For the first time I could hear his voice--everyday he spoke the words to me "I love you my child". He assured me I was his beautiful, precious daughter. It melted all my fears and insecurities away. People need to know that God is a personal, loving God. Yes, also "you are a sinner", don't misunderstand me, people should know that too. Even more they need to hear to the good news. God loves them, "righteousness and peace have kissed each other"(Psalm 85:10). Christ has come. "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men" (Luke 2:14). They should feel and encounter this peace and good will.

Jesus culture does a great job of bringing God's love to people. They certainly helped confirm the God that I was discovering each day after my salvation.

We often denigrate experience, but experience is your life. We need the scriptures and we need to live the scriptures. The bible is meant to be a blue print and guide for your life. Not every single thing you run across in life will be written down verbatim in the word. How often do you have to eat, buy clothes, etc. without seeing that exact brand and model spelled out for you in the bible? There comes a time where you have to learn how to apply scripture to your life, even your spiritual experiences. Not all experiences will be pre-written for you. You must use your knowledge of God's character, from the Word, and in faith experience Him in your actual waking life. Scripture is contained of but people who have experienced God.

As for Bethel and Bill Johnson, I don't know too much about them. However, I see the majority of their doctrine is correct. There is not one Christian with perfect doctrine. There is nothing dangerous about what these Charismatic preach from what I can see.

As for the gold dust and feather, well not one person has been able to give a clear, scriptural argument against it. All that I see is personal bias and dislike of it. If you don't like it, it doesn't meant its heresy. I am personally not bothered by it; God has done stranger things in scriptures...moreover, since his whole heavenly city is paved with streets of gold and jeweled gate, I don't see why a few particles couldn't float down here. Still, I don't know if its from God yet and I will continue to do research on it.

I will close by entreating all to really pursue God and don't view things with a "critical" or overly skeptical spirit. God desires people who passionately, (neither religiously nor foolishly), delight him and want to be delighted in by him.

We must be careful not to quench the Spirit.

"Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5:20-22)

Many Christians treat the "prophetic" with contempt out of fear,ignorance, the enemy's influence, or mix of all three.God is moving in more ways than any of us can understand. Who can contain his revivals, who can search out his ways? Who can fathom his power or how he chooses to display his glory? Who can understand how he moves upon the human body, causing us to behave passionately---consumed by him in worship?

(its difficult for those who have never encountered God directly to know how overwhelming his Glory---his Being is)

Manifestations have always been funny , at least to me. But it takes true humility and surrender in order to see and recognize a move God. Let's stay in prayer, search the Scriptures as the Bereans to see what is true, as in Acts 17:11 ( notice their attitude and how they searched not to see what was "false")and be open to God blowing past our understanding and expectations.

I am eager that all would "prophesy"; that all would truly be open to the inspiration and moving of God's Holy Spirit in the lives and others, in a variety of ways.

I pray he leads us into all truth.

P.S for info on the mission of Jesus Culture: please see this link below:

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/worship/features/24868-the-movement-behind-jesus-culture

Email: shanadrsy@yahoo.com

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com