Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Royal Baby Named

Today William and Kate named the new royal heir. George Alexander Louis.

http://news.yahoo.com/britains-william-kate-keep-world-waiting-babus-name-130549733.html

Each name explained here.

Email: victorychanter@raptureintheairnow.com

Re: Royal Baby Named

...and if you wonder what the lil' babe's last name is...

...take a gander at this story from the official source.

The Royal Family Name

Email: kc4wvl@peoplepc.com

That is interesting and educational, Slade. I knew the Windsor part but not the hyphenated version. The Mountblaten-Windsor surname. Thanks for adding to the baby's name; the full version.

Bless little George today , Lord , and grow him up in Your Grace and Love !
bb

Email: bonniebell81@hotmail.com

I believe that the current royals William and Harry when serving in the military have the surname 'patch' on the chest of their uniforms as "Wales."

Just wondering how this has come about and is not "Windsor"?

Email: bandj.gravelle@gmail.com

Weren't Charles and Diana given a title involving Wales? Duke and Duchess of Wales. Yet "Princess and Lady " was used with Diana's name, too. I believe William was the Prince of Wales and then on his marriage the Duke of Cambridge title was bestowed. "Wales" is in there some place.

I don't understand how they come up with these titles. But Wales is involved --you're right TSS.

Fergie was a Duchess for awhile when she was married to Prince Andrew. Aren't her daughter's considered "Lady" Eugenie, and Beatrice? So the Princess, Duchess and Lady titles must be the descending order as they are moved farther from the throne. Yet Prince and Duke seem interchangeable. I don't know. Maybe someone else knows how this works.

Victory Chanter, I live in Australia and the royalty thing is followed a little more closely than in other places.

I remember that when Charles married Diana they wanted to call her 'Princes Charles' to be correct about the title, but of course this never caught on or was accepted by the press or public.

Email: bandj.gravelle@gmail.com

Charles, as the Queen's son, is Prince Charles. When he was a young man, he was invested (in a special ceremony) with the title of Prince of Wales, traditionally given to the heir apparent (usually the king/queen's eldest son). [The title Prince of Wales being given to the heir apparent of the English monarch goes back more than 800 years, and was intended to make the Welsh feel better about being ruled by the English -- which wasn't notably successful.] Charles has a number of other titles, the highest-ranking being Duke of Cornwall (Cornwall is the southwesternmost county of England).

Charles's first wife, Lady Diana Spencer, was the daughter of an earl, and so was known as Lady Diana (never "Lady Spencer"). As the wife of the Prince of Wales, she was known as the Princess of Wales. However, although she was often called Princess Diana, that was never her actual title (as she was not born to a ruling king or queen).

Charles's second wife is known as the Duchess of Cornwall rather than the Princess of Wales, apparently to avoid the appearance of trying to replace her predecessor in the love of the British people.

Charles and Diana's sons, being the Queen's grandchildren, are known as Prince William and Prince Harry.

As the son of the Prince of Wales, Prince William was also called Prince William of Wales (but note that he is not the Prince of Wales; that is his father's title). Just before Prince William was married, he was given the title Duke of Cambridge (and some lesser titles).

His wife Catherine/Kate was not born to a titled family. Once she was married, she took the title of Duchess of Cambridge. She is not Lady Catherine/Kate, as her father was not an earl, marquis, or duke.

Their son George, as a descendant of the Queen, is called Prince George. He can also be called Prince George of Cambridge (the Cambridge is from his father's title -- just as William was known as Prince William of Wales before he was given his own title of Duke of Cambridge).

Sarah Ferguson became the Duchess of York when she married Prince Andrew. (He had been given the title Duke of York, just as Prince William was given the title Duke of Cambridge.) Though divorced, she is still known as Duchess of York (but won't be if she remarries).

Fergie's daughters, as descendants of the Queen, are Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie -- or Princess Beatrice of York and Princess Eugenie of York, from their father's title (Duke of York).

===

"Lady," used with a woman's given name, refers to a woman whose father is or was a duke, marquis, or earl (for example, Lady Di).

"Lady," used with her husband's first name, refers to a woman whose husband is a younger son of a duke or (IIRC) marquis. [Calling Lady Di "Princess Charles," as TerribleSwiftSword mentioned, would have been on the same principle, though I don't think I ever heard it suggested.]

"Lady," used with her husband's surname, refers to a woman whose husband is a knight or baronet.

"Lady," used with her husband's title, refers to a woman whose husband is a baron, viscount, earl, marquis, or duke. [There are a few titles which are identical to the owner's surname -- for example Lady Di's father -- but for these noblemen the title is what's relevant, not the surname.]

===

No, I did not do all of this off the top of my head. Some of it I picked up in my youth from reading (mostly historical novels).

The rest I learned from a couple of college friends who could do it all off the tops of their heads. They were roommates.

The one who was a history major once audited a course on Louis XIV which was being taught by a prof from the French Department. The others in the class were all French majors; the first day of the class, the prof announced to them that because of my friend, the course would be taught in English (my friend being ... allergic to the French language). The other students didn't know my friend, but since she wasn't a French major, they weren't much concerned with her. The prof knew her by reputation from a couple of her friends, already graduated, who had been French majors.

Anyway, one of the French majors got terribly confused about the nationalities of Henrietta Maria of France and Henriette d'Angleterre, and why they were not the same person. The prof called my friend's name and held out a piece of chalk. My friend went up to the blackboard and -- without any need for notes, and explaining as she wrote -- covered the blackboard with a genealogical chart showing several generations of the English and French royal families. I don't think she included any dates, but she might have. In any case, let me just assure you that if the blackboard had been larger, she could have filled it all.

[Henrietta Maria of France was a French princess who married Charles I of England; the state of Maryland is named for her. Their daughter Henriette d'Angleterre married Louis XIV's younger brother, who was her first cousin.]

Thank you Perian for straightening out the royal title confusion. That's quite a lesson. Our thanks to your college friends who appear to be great teachers. They certainly have taught you well! And here we are benefitting from those past lessons they taught you. It is indeed a small world after all.

Not being connected royally, most of us haven't "gone there". There was no need. lol You cleared up the haze very nicely!

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com