Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"Would Jesus wear a Rolex"

Before I log off for the night I wanted to share a song with you guys. Enjoy.

Re: "Would Jesus wear a Rolex"

Great song and good question.

Something I've struggled with myself. There are so many hungry and poor. I've never been wealthy enough to have something as expensive as a Rolex, but I have had my fair share of nice clothes and jewelry.

In our affluent society, from a woman's point of view, women get engaged the girl gets a diamond engagement ring. Later for an anniversary maybe a diamond tennis bracelet, or diamond earrings, diamond anniversary ring. Nice perfume for Christmas or a birthday.. I could go on and on with lists of expensive gifts.

These gifts are tokens of love, respect, affection from the husband or betrothed almost expected in our culture. Is this wrong? I've changed, and now I'm thinking maybe it is.
It's obviously wrong when considering children, the family to give gifts you cannot afford, but I'm talking about beyond our immediate families. There will always be the hungry and poor. Should we deny ourselves these pleasures to help humanity. Isn't that what our Lord would do?

For a preacher, should they be spending their donations and gifts in this way?

Very good question!

No, Jesus already knows the time.
:)

Servant
No, Jesus already knows the time.
:)

True I though the same thing besides in Jesus outside of time? He know the exact time as created it :) Besides Jesus said he was the beginning and the end so anything else falls in between I can see god having the ability to see the current, past, future all at once and he is outside of time so he basically is outside of time. Also I find it interesting that he can take human form and be outside of time at the same time so I honestly think god can split his spirit between human time constraints and timeless eternity. I wonder if God left the throne while he was on earth and just kept a watch on heaven? I also wonder if when he slept was he sitting on the throne or was he separated from the father in Heaven like Adam? father? sorry got off on an tangent. But yeah GOD doesn't need a rolex besides he would consider it an idol as it is an earthly possession that people covet.

I personally don't wear a watch I go by a clock when I see one but other than that I don't own one but yet I know that I have idols too who doesn't? It is hard to not have idols it is nearly impossible due to human nature as see we like to think we have ownership of things and it really is sad because it stays on earth when we die the only thing we take is our soul/spirit even our body stays on earth and turns to dust.

I really do not know what is expected of us on earth. If you go to school, work hard long hours and save to have nice things and be comfortable, then should you give it all away? If you did that, would you not be a burden on society since now you have nothing and have your hand out? There must be a middle somewhere. Poor people are not the problem in society, the lazy people are the problem.

I have a rolex - but its fake! Bought it as a gag gift down on Canal St. in NYC hahaha - seriously- even if I could afford one I could think of a better value to spend my money on - some things are just over priced, its just a watch!

Funny story I just have to tell. Over 30 years ago I worked in a machine shop. Two employs there had rolax's. One was gold and the other was stainless steel, both very beautiful pieces. That being said, the two employees someway were talking one day and out came the watches (they both removed their watch, wrapped them in cloth and put them in their pocket at work so as to keep them nice). One of the guys said in front of everyone, his watch is a fake. Of course the other guy was very irate and they almost came to blows, never to talk again. I don't think I need a rolax.

The song was aimed at the excesses of prosperity gospel televangelists who were displaying their wealth through wearing expensive jewelry and wristwatches, among other things. This is in contrast to Jesus, who had almost no possessions while he was ministering, other than the clothes he wore.

Wealth is not the issue; pride and arrogance are. It is possible to be a Christian and honor God with your wealth, even though it is "hard for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven." But with God, all things are possible.

So in context it is obvious that Jesus would not have worn a Rolex, both because they didn't exist and because the Lord was not concerned with presenting an image of success. He came to lay down His life as a sacrificial lamb, not to reign as a worldly ruler.

There is a huge "on the other hand" here: The first time Jesus came, it was as a servant; when He returns, it will be as the Almighty King.

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. Revelation 5:12

God is the Creator, and owns the cattle of a thousand hills, so to speak. What He clothes Himself with upon his return would put a Rolex to shame. He is worthy of all glory and will freely display it.

That is not the context intended by the song, and it would be unfair to go where the song doesn't lead. Stevens once commented that the title was phrased as a question on purpose. True, and it doesn't strike me as being appropriate to flash expensive items to suggest that God's blessings consist of gaining material wealth to those who are poor. I would not say that has any bearing upon whether or not someone is allowed to have expensive possessions. Having an expensive ring or watch given to us as an honor is not sinful in itself. I don't have such items, but if I see another does it is not my business to condemn what is done with their possessions.

I like David R.'s reply.

My reply: I don 't know any carpenters who wear Rolexes! lol.

"I have a rolex - but its fake! Bought it as a gag gift down on Canal St. in NYC"

Remnant Navi, you really have me laughing! ha ha ha my husband and I bought fake ones on Canal St too!! Actually we needed some cheap watches that we could "beat up" so to speak and not have to worry about working in them like in the yard etc. We saw them and cracked up laughing and bought one for each of us. I think we only paid 30 bucks for them and they lasted us forever!!

Servant, LOL! That was funny. First time I laughed in awhile.

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com