Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Rules Of Disengagement

15 When Yosef's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "It may be that Yosef will hate us, and will fully pay us back for all of the evil which we did to him. 16 They sent a message to Yosef, saying, "Your father commanded before he died, saying, 17 "So you shall tell Yosef, 'Now please forgive the disobedience of your brothers, and their sin, because they did evil to you.' Now, please forgive the disobedience of the servants of the God of your father." Yosef wept when they spoke to him.

18 His brothers also went and fell down before his face; and they said, "Behold, we are your servants."

19 Yosef said to them, "Don't be afraid, for am I in the place of God? 20 As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save many people alive. 21 Now therefore don't be afraid. I will nourish you and your little ones." He comforted them, and spoke kindly to them. [Genesis 50:15-21 HNV]

In her book Throw Out Fifty Things, Gail Blanke outlines four "Rules of Disengagement" to help people clear the clutter from their lives. The first rule states: "If it . . . weighs you down, clogs you up, or just plain makes you feel bad about yourself, throw it out, give it away, sell it, let it go, move on."

I think this Rule of Disengagement has a spiritual application too: We don't have to stay connected to past sin. Joseph's brothers struggled with this. Years after they sold Joseph into slavery, they recalled their cruelty and feared revenge (Gen. 50:15). So they sent a message to Joseph, begging for forgiveness (vv.16-17). They did this despite previous merciful actions and reassurances from their brother (45:4-15).

Many of us remain connected to age-old offenses despite mercy and forgiveness from those we may have hurt. However, true freedom comes when we confess our wrongdoing to God. He forgives it (1 John 1:9) and separates us from it (Ps. 103:12). As one verse puts it, He throws our sin into the depths of the sea! (Micah 7:19). Because of this, we can remind ourselves that the Son has made us free, and we are free indeed (John 8:36).

'Twas a glad day when Jesus found me,
When His strong arms were thrown around me;
When my sins He buried in the deepest sea,
And my soul He filled with joy and victory.
-Albert S. Reitz. © Renewal 1946. Hope Publishing.

The price of our freedom from sin was paid by Jesus' blood.

The Rules Of Disengagement
"Fair Use For Educational or Discussion Purposes"

Email: jonathan@raptureintheairnow.com

Re: The Rules Of Disengagement

I never heard this song before so I looked it up on YouTube to share

Email: jonathan@raptureintheairnow.com

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com