Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Father To Follow

1 Yehoshafat his son reigned in his place, and strengthened himself against Yisra'el. 2 He placed forces in all the fortified cities of Yehudah, and set garrisons in the land of Yehudah, and in the cities of Efrayim, which Asa his father had taken.

3 The LORD was with Yehoshafat, because he walked in the first ways of his father David, and didn't seek the Ba`alim, 4 but sought to the God of his father, and walked in his mitzvot, and not after the doings of Yisra'el. 5 Therefore the LORD established the kingdom in his hand; and all Yehudah brought to Yehoshafat tribute; and he had riches and honor in abundance. 6 His heart was lifted up in the ways of the LORD: and furthermore he took away the high places and the Asherim out of Yehudah.

7 Also in the third year of his reign he sent his princes, even Ben-Hayil, and `Ovadyah, and Zekharyah, and Netan'el, and Mikhayahu, to teach in the cities of Yehudah; 8 and with them the Levites, even Shemayah, and Netanyah, and Zevadyah, and `Asa'el, and Shemiramot, and Yehonatan, and Adoniyahu, and Toviyah, and Tob-adonijah, the Levites; and with them Elishama and Yehoram, the Kohanim. 9 They taught in Yehudah, having the book of the law of the LORD with them; and they went about throughout all the cities of Yehudah, and taught among the people.

10 The fear of the LORD fell on all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Yehudah, so that they made no war against Yehoshafat. [2 Chronicles 17:1-10 HNV]

When I think of my father, I think of this saying: “He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and he let me watch him do it.” During my youth, I watched my dad walk with God. He participated in Sunday morning church services, taught an adult Bible-study class, helped with counting the offering, and served as a deacon. Outside of church, he faithfully defended the gospel and read his Bible. I saw him express his love for the Lord through outward actions.

Asa, king of Judah, modeled devotion to God for a season in his life (2 Chron. 14:2). He removed the idols from his kingdom, restored the altar of the Lord, and led the people into a covenant with God (15:8-12). Asa’s son Jehoshaphat carried on this legacy by seeking “the God of his father and walk[ing] in His commandments” (17:4). Jehoshaphat purged the land of idol worship (v.6) and sent out priests and Levites to teach God’s law in all of the cities of Judah (vv.7-9).

Jehoshaphat’s reign resembled that of his father; he faithfully honored Asa’s godly example. Yet even more important, Jehoshaphat’s “heart took delight in the ways of the Lord” (v.6). Today, if you’re looking for a father to follow, remember your heavenly Father and take delight in His ways.

We magnify our Father God
With songs of thoughtful praise;
As grateful children we confess
How perfect are His ways. —Ball

We honor God’s name when we call Him our Father and live like His Son.

A Father To Follow
"Fair Use For Educational or Discussion Purposes"

Email: jonathan@raptureintheairnow.com

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com