Author
Comment
We Made The Headline on Drudge Report Today

RECORD BREAKING SNOWFALL IN DALLAS

Snowfall Shatters Record, Leaves 180,000 Without Power
New 24-hour snowfall record now at 12.5 inches for DFW
By FRANK HEINZ
Updated 1:14 PM CST, Fri, Feb 12, 2010

Large, fluffy snowflakes fell heavily across North Texas for about 24 hours Thursday, bringing record snowfall that sailed past the previous all-time one-day record.

A new record of 12.5 inches of snow in a 24-hour period was set at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (11.2 on Thursday) -- and flakes were still coming down after midnight. The previous daily record was 7.8 inches on Jan. 15, 1964, and Jan. 14, 1917 and the previous 24-hour record was 12.1 inches. The total for this winter, so far, is 15.7 inches, the second highest recorded in North Texas history. The highest recorded snowfall for a winter season was in 1977-78 with 17.6 inches of snow.

The snowfall forced the closure and delays of hundreds of schools and businesses on both Thursday and Friday. Now that the storm has passed, the damage assessment can begin.

As of 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oncor Electric Delivery said there are 180,000 homes and businesses in North Texas without power. Oncor added they are bringing in 1,500 contractors to repair power lines ripped down by tree branches laden with heavy snow.

On Thursday, police across North Texas responded to hundreds of crashes, even before the wet, slushy roads began to freeze. The Texas Department of Transportation advised all drivers to use caution while they worked to treat the roadways.

The National Weather Service posted the winter storm warning Wednesday morning, well ahead of the storm. The warning expired early Friday.

Temperatures are expected to climb above freezing and reach 36 degrees by Friday afternoon. On Saturday, it should warm up to 51 degrees.

The record snowfall also caused other problems. Heavy snow snapped tree branches, downed power lines and collapsed carports around the Metroplex.

AIR TRAVEL

Airlines canceled hundreds of flights -- about 40 percent of operations -- at DFW Airport in anticipation of the storm. Planes that were leaving were being de-iced, slowing down traffic.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines and American Eagle airlines canceled more than 1,000 flights systemwide as of sunset Thursday, including 305 departures at DFW Airport.

American spokesman Steve Schlachter said much of the backup was linked to weather problems along the East Coast.

Southwest Airlines, whose main hub is Dallas Love Field, advised travelers that many Thursday flights out of the Baltimore-Washington, Philadelphia and New York City areas had been canceled due to weather.

Love Field said it had more snow than it expected. Some inbound flights had trouble landing at Love Field and had to divert back to their departing airports. Departing flights at Love Field on Thursday were delayed one to two hours because of deicing.

The airport said travelers can also expect residual delays Friday.

TxDOT ROAD CLOSURE DELAY

TxDOT said Wednesday that current weather conditions are forcing them to delay the scheduled closing of U.S. 75 frontage road at Parker Road. The road will now be closed Monday from 10:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning, ahead of the morning rush. Then on Tuesday, TxDOT will close the U.S. 75 mainlanes from 10:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. Wednesday.

"The closure is part of a $20 million construction project to convert the U.S. 75 and Parker Road interchange from a standard, grade-separated bridge to a single-point urban interchange (SPUI). Message boards announcing the lane closures have been placed along U.S. 75 to notify the public of the closures. Law enforcement will also be present to help with traffic control," TxDOT said in a news release.

Oncor released the following checklist for keeping yourself safe during times of inclement weather.

As always, to report power outages call Oncor at 1-888-313-4747. For additional transportation related information please visit the TxDOT Web site www.txdot.gov.

Re: We Made The Headline on Drudge Report Today

Oh my goodness, T/Sue . . this is an amazing winter!!!

This is my friend's backyard right near Dallas. No lake to be had!!

this is her front yard . .

Donna, great pictures! My yard looks a lot like that. I had a foot of snow extending up over the top of my birdbath which is about three inches deep, so over a foot here. Very odd for us. Thankfully I have power though. Very happy about that or I wouldn't be on Rita, right? The Dallas ISD closed which almost NEVER happens. Normally they wouldn't close if Armageddon was being played out in downtown Dallas so this is a record for sure.

Wow, that has to be not easy shoveling so much snow. do you get help, sis?

I'm thinking this happy pup luv's luv's the 'downfall' of that ther' global warming farce, huh,Sue . . , even puppy gets it, enjoying God's possession and perfectly capable care of the climate !!!

I thought you meant Rita...and thought 'whatever for??'...LOLOL

Beautiful puppy! I love huskies.
Sandy

Email: sboer2008@wildblue.net

Tsue..

I never want to see that nasty white stuff again..(at least for this year) I have had enough of it here in VA and we are supposed to get more tomorrow and then again Monday or Tuesday AGGGGGGGGGGG

LOL

Sarah

Oh shoot sarah!! I enjoyed it for now but I would hate to have it more than a couple of days.... I woke up really early this morning to look out side to see the record snowfall... :)It looked amasing.

and Dee I thought TS meant RITA too!!!!

Susan..it does look amazing and beautiful too ..until it gets dirty ,...yucko

I know Sarah.. I finally got my car unstuck and went to work and ran some errands..and thats what I notced was all the slushy dirty snow every where... yuck! but this morning it was beautiful and still is at my house :) I live at the end of a street and no one comes down here...the yard is big and lots of trees....although I now have two huge branches in my yard and the house across from me the tree was uprooted...these texas trees can not handle the snow.

This VA girl cannot handle any more snow either

Sarah

Sarah, I have a cousin in Virginia and she is caught in that snow blanket up there along with you. I am sure you are ready for this to be the last blast. I am the same way. I am happy to see snow for maybe 30 minutes and then I want it to just go away.

Tsue..tell her to get ready for another blast , hopefully it won't be bad,,it is the same storm that you got..talk about sharing

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com