Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
God Is In Control ! (Wonderful story)

This was sent from my friend, Pat . .

A man from Norfolk , VA called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003, TWO YEARS AFTER THE TRAGEDIES OF 9/11/2001.

His name was Robert Matthews. These are his words:

A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child. She planned a trip out to California to visit her sister.

On our way to the airport, we prayed that God would grant my wife a safe trip and be with her. Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both heard a loud pop and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire. I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight. Both very upset, we drove home.

I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my wife's flight number was, but I explained that we missed the flight.

My father informed me that her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too shocked to speak. My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not something I can't just sit by for; I have to do something.'

I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never given his life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up.

Before he got off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild. Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort.

My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered quickly became anger.
I was angry at God, at my father, and at myself.
I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My son would never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never got to say good-bye.

Then something happened.

About two months ago, I was sitting at home with my wife and my son, when there was a knock on the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door to a couple with a small child.

The man looked at me and asked if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was. He quickly grabbed my hand and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to meet his son.'

He explained to me that his wife had worked in the World Trade Center and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been caught under debris.

He then explained that my father had been the one to find his wife and free her. My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for people like this.

He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.'

His wife then told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and led him to Christ. I began sobbing at the news.

Now I know that when I get to Heaven, my father will be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able to thank him themselves.

When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew, in honor of the man who gave his life so that a mother and baby could live.

This story should help us to realize this: God is always in control.

We may not see the reason behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS in control.

Re: God Is In Control ! (Wonderful story)

Oh Donna - I don't know what to say - I am in tears - this is SUCH a wonderful blessing - sooo glad this young man found out what really happened and that his father will be there waiting for him. WOW!

It sure puts eternity into perspective, doesn't it Shirley, . . . too, remembering God saying “His thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are our ways His ways" . . . Isaiah 55:8

I like how C. H. SPURGEON expressed the above verse:

. . "our thoughts must for ever be weak and fragmentary as compared with his thoughts: and though as free agents we have ways of our own choice,

in some of which we move with great show of wisdom, yet our ways are upon the earth, and cannot attain to the ways of the Lord, which are far above us.

This is true as to his proceedings in providence. God's ‘designs are vast and far-reaching, and his methods are frequently strange and inscrutable, though always wise.

We have little plans to suit our little foresight and power, but his ways are unsearchable. Oftentimes he brings light of excessive brightness out of darkness more dense than usual; and produces superior joys out of extraordinary sorrows.

In infinite wisdom he causes the most furious storms to cast up upon the shore the pearl of peace. He is wonderful both in counsel and in working and chooseth ever that way in which his glory is most abundantly displayed.

Our way, which for a time we think to be best, when it is scanned by the enlightened eye soon turns out to be as much beneath God's way of accomplishing the desired purpose as the earth is beneath..."

Yes Donna - C.H.Spurgeon sure has deep insight in expressing how unfathomable our God's ways are. It's like we can only see a foot in front of us - whereas He sees infinitely ahead.

Oh, Donna, like Shirley, I am in tears, also, after reading that story. All I csn say is:

PRAISE THE LORD! GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD, FOR HE IS GOOD, AND HIS MERCY ENDURES FOREVER!!!

Thank you for sharing this!!!

What a wonderful story and reminder that God is always in control. Thank you for posting. That was very comforting.

A sad but a very touching and wonderful story..

The great part is that the son was shown that his dad had come to Jesus just in time and had saved this mother and son... How great was that..

Joh 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Joseph

Donna and Pat thank you for this account for which it is very difficult to find the right words. How it ministers to us as we have our limited human vision as Spurgeon so brilliantly writes, knowing the ways of the Lord so high are as well so glorious, so good. Now we see as through a glass, darkly. Then we shall see face-to-face and know, even as we are known! Come Lord Jesus - we love You!!!!!!!!!!

Ditta, sis . . . did you see my posted video on another thread about the song: "Jesus knows JUST what I need" . . Kinda goes here, I think. I hope you can catch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LhMofnsEo

Hate to rain on your parade about this "wonderful" story, but this comes from http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_robert_matthews.htm

Comments: This tale is chock-full of human pathos and religious zeal, but it doesn't add up.

First of all, there is no "Jake Matthews" or "Jacob Matthews" — or, indeed, anyone named "Matthews" at all — listed among the victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Secondly, assuming that the putative storyteller, Robert Matthews, lived in Norfolk, Virginia at the time of the 9/11 tragedy, it makes no sense that his wife would have been aboard the airliner that crashed into the south tower of the World Trade Center, because that aircraft, United Airlines Flight 175, departed from Boston, Massachusetts, —a 650-mile, 10-hour drive from Norfolk.

Thirdly, though it's admittedly possible, it seems improbable that during the alleged rescue effort when ex-firefighter Jake Matthews was attempting to extract the pregnant victim from under some rubble, a conversation ensued wherein Mr. Matthews was not only "led to Christ" by the victim's words but divulged his full name (and apparently that of his son) to her.

Lastly, we have to question the origin of the text itself, which first surfaced as an anonymous, forwarded email in September 2003. The bulk of it purports to be a direct quote from a radio broadcast (of which I have been unable to find any other mentions or reports). How was the author of the email able to transcribe it word-for-word?

Much as we might like to believe this inspirational tale of self-sacrifice and remembrance in a time of tragedy, it simply doesn't match any of the known facts.

Email: jbeckloff@gmail.com

Donna sis thanks - I'll look at that on Monday when I'm on a better computer!

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com