Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Holy Spirit

I would like to talk about the Holy Spirit and would Love to hear from other members and how they recognize the small still voice or the quickening from the Holy Spirit.

Email: tonieroberson@yahoo.com

Re: Holy Spirit

Hello Heaven

I am have not thought this out much and this is a quick reply...(unlike the really good replies I am sure you are going to be getting from others)

I get a peace in my heart and a knowing.... sometimes I do not always hear correctly but His grace is there for me until I do get it right...

When I pray in the spirit sometimes I will pray outloud and it flows from me.... and in my own language I can start to pray Gods will over someone or something.... I believe the Holy Spirit leads me to pray certian ways...

I would suggest to pray in the spirit and then get quite before Him.....only a suggestion ..I am sure others like Mel will have better words than I do...

John 10 says that His sheep hear His voice. ~~

That is amazing that we hear and recognize His voice. He says we know it. So I am sure that we can and do.

A prayer of mine is that~ I do listen and hear my shepherds voice. and Lord, Help me to hear, it is my desire to hear you speak, & that I always am quick to obey that voice.

He gives us the desires of our heart and He does hear and honor this prayer.

Isaiah 50:4 says that He wakens me morning by morning, He wakens my ear to hear as one who is taught. ( A good verse to meditate on.)

The Holy Spirit speaks to me through The Word of God. I can be going through a rather hard time or be bothered about something,or just trying to understand more clearly what I am reading. I will be reading along in the Bible and a particular verse will just become alive to me. This is first and foremost how I believe He leads us.

I also have learned He confirms what He speaks to me. Through His word, or by my pastor or another trusted source whose life I know bears fruit.

I have actually heard His voice it was never audible but came from within and filled me up ... There was no mistaking it. It was directly related to some things I was going through and was His sweet message to me of hope.

I have also heard the still small voice ..that I have had to wonder if it was The Spirit or me. I just Praise Him and take it by faith it is Him and if it's me and I am just doing something too soon or something wrong, I just trust He will let me know or work it out. He is on our side. and knows full well our human condition . I do take encouragement that my spirit is redeemed and born of Him, so even if it is just me..is it going to be way off anyway? We just have to live by faith here on earth.

He also talks to us through prayer. I always try to make it a two way time. (LOL) and spend time being very quiet before Him, to see what He lays on my heart.

Just a few thoughts of what I have learned in my life.

Welcome Heaven... and good question.

Beautiful answers, J.Susan & Mary Ann! Thanks for sharing.

Mary Ann
John 10 says that His sheep hear His voice. ~~

That is amazing that we hear and recognize His voice. He says we know it. So I am sure that we can and do.

A prayer of mine is that~ I do listen and hear my shepherds voice. and Lord, Help me to hear, it is my desire to hear you speak, & that I always am quick to obey that voice.

He gives us the desires of our heart and He does hear and honor this prayer.

Isaiah 50:4 says that He wakens me morning by morning, He wakens my ear to hear as one who is taught. ( A good verse to meditate on.)

The Holy Spirit speaks to me through The Word of God. I can be going through a rather hard time or be bothered about something,or just trying to understand more clearly what I am reading. I will be reading along in the Bible and a particular verse will just become alive to me. This is first and foremost how I believe He leads us.

I also have learned He confirms what He speaks to me. Through His word, or by my pastor or another trusted source whose life I know bears fruit.

I have actually heard His voice it was never audible but came from within and filled me up ... There was no mistaking it. It was directly related to some things I was going through and was His sweet message to me of hope.

I have also heard the still small voice ..that I have had to wonder if it was The Spirit or me. I just Praise Him and take it by faith it is Him and if it's me and I am just doing something too soon or something wrong, I just trust He will let me know or work it out. He is on our side.

He also speaks to us through prayer. I always try to make it a two way time. (LOL) and spend time being very quiet before Him, to see what He lays on my heart.

Just a few thoughts of what I have learned in my life.

Very nice post. :)

Email: gwinbob@yahoo.com

Well, thank you Charity and BobG.

This is a very nice thread. I agree with Heaven, I like to talk about the Holy Spirit too.

Joyful Susan is very right about peace that comes with the Holy spirit leading. That is absolutly true.

I like all the detail you put into it Mary Ann..thats how it happens for me ...it is not just one thing I can say..He speaks through many different ways.....Something may happen outside and He will speak to my spirit and say just like that ...or something like that...you know what I mean...

Ok here is a good one...the other day I had a thought that I should go buy 2 used tires for the two front wheels ...they were totally bald.... well I said I was going to but I put it off.... then it snowed!!! a record breaking snowfall.... I could not get out of my driveway and go any where because my tires were so bad.... before I was going to wait until I got my tax return and buy 2 new ones.... but I beleive the Holy spirit was telling me to go ahead and buy 2 used ones....and now I know why... it would have prepared me for the snow.... also I am not going to need tires after a couple of months any way...hahahaha I hope any way.

I have also had urgings to check on my kids and see what they are doing and well it was a good thing at times I walked in their rooms or whatever....I told my duaghter the Holy Spirit will never let her get away with anything....

"I told my duaghter the Holy Spirit will never let her get away with anything...."

That's a good one, J.Sue; I'm gonna have to use that one...add it to
mom's bag o' tricks!

It works Charity! My daughter would tell people that the Holy Spirit would not let her get away with anything!

Joyful Susan

He speaks through many different ways

I can say that is exactly right..

The first time the Holy Spirit spoke to me was an actually audible voice inside my head.. From 1968 to 1992, 8 times thru those years..

In 1991, after praying and fasting, the Holy Spirit climbed into my body, flowed thru like a river of peace, I guess letting me know he was there in a mighty way.

After that happened, my mind was being used by him as I think.. The first thought I had after he did this, "Read the Bible again"..

Other times there's a spirit flash or infilling of the Holy Spirit that somehow might just reveal things to you..

Like a few Sundays back, as the service was ending the Holy Spirit hit me and like he revealed to me to pray for the troops at that moment, just as the preacher was ending the service..

So I didn't get the whole congregation into a prayer mode, but did tell the Pastor that we needed to pray at that very moment..

Joseph

Great thread!!

The Lord speaks to me in different ways.

1. Through the Word of God. I'll be reading the Bible then all of a sudden a verse hits me between the eyeballs, as if it's written just for me. Sometimes it pierces my heart and makes me cry. Sometimes it gives me instruction as to what to do in a given situation. Sometimes it convicts me of sin. Or it gives me reassurance and peace about a trial that is coming up. But regardless of the circumstance, the Lord will make the Word so real to me that it feels like it's speaking to me personally.

2. The Holy Spirit will speak to me directly. That usually happens when I'm going through a particular trial, and He pierces my heart and I hear Him talking to me words of love and peace. Those encounters from the Lord always makes me cry because I feel His love and compassion so strongly.

3. I feel the Lord's Presence the strongest when I'm worshipping Him through music. That's when He will give me visions of heaven in my spirit, or I will picture myself in my mind's eye just worshipping Him and falling down at His feet. Again, I always know when it's the Lord's Presence because I ALWAYS CRY WHEN I FEEL IT!!

4. I always know it's the Holy Spirit speaking to me when I feel a peace about something, whether it's a decision that I made, or whether it's a situation that I'm going through that I know that everything is going to be all right...regardless of the circumstances.

I hope that helps!!!

This thread is right up my alley!

Love hearing how The Spirit moves in people!

Leenie, me too! Music is the quickest way for me to come into His presence! I sometimes wish anointed music would just follow me around everywhere.

When the Holy Spirit mostly moves on me, many times I feel a wave of heat or tinglies down my back. I cry a lot when His presence is heavy. My mom does, too.

Of course, while playing & making music, He usually enters or leaves the room depending on what I'm doing. It's no fun when He leaves. That's how I've learned to judge my own songs.

I hear His voice mainly as a feeling in my gut. But, a few times when I've been in grave danger, about to do a horrible sin, or make a bad decision He has spoken to me audibly in my head as a still small voice. Sometimes for guidance of future events if I ask, as well. One time it was in a job interview... He told me to get up & leave. The company imploded two weeks later.

When I have obeyed His voice, I find out later that I just avoided disaster of some kind or it has been to my benefit in a life-altering way. When I don't, it's usually pretty devastating. Generally, He speaks to me this way to help guide me in major life decisions.

Great responses!
Now we as Christians who recognizes the Holy Spirit know that the Holy Spirit truly is a comfort as Jesus tells us in his word.
Sadly there are many Christians that fail to recognize the Holy Spirit working in and through their lives.There are nine gifts of the Spirit
(1)A word of Wisdom
(2)A word of Knowledge
(3)Discerning of Spirits
(4)Faith
(5)Gifts of Healings
(6)Workings of Miracles
(7)Different Kinds of Tongues
(8)Interpretation of Tongues
(9)Prophecy

Also there are nine fruits of the Holy Spirit
(1)Love
(2)Joy
(3)Peace
(4)Longsuffering
(5)Kindness
(6)Goodness
(7)Faithfulness
(8)Gentleness
(9)Self-Control

One of the most important things in the christian's life,therefore,is to cultivate the ability to hear what God is saying in his word.Cultivating the ability to hear is a process.A person who does not take time in God's presence and in the presence of his word will not learn to hear.

That's right Heaven, and it's so important now, more than ever, to be able to hear what the Spirit is saying to us with all the apostasy surrounding us and growning everywhere we look!

Loving this thread. I hear Him more than I realize it. Even audibly, but not for extended periods...just a sentence or a word and it usually in a dream or when it happens it is so quick that I am almost unsure if it happened or not.

I would say the biggies with me are coincidences that aren't a coincidence....I also cry A LOT in His presence. In fact my whole life any time I would think about God I would start tearing up....even as a small child. And it BUGGED me and when I was younger it actually made me avoid getting in those situations like going to church etc., because the emotion was so strong for me and would come out of nowhere. Even now sitting here, I think of God and I can start feeling my tear gland start to spasm...or whatever it is...it is an automatic response. This is also why I sometimes avoid prayer because it is SO exhausting for me as my whole self pours into it.

Hope I am not the only one like this...I don't ever share this with anyone, so I don't know if it is the 'norm' or not. I don't ever see other people crying in church. I actually wear glasses to hide it. I come from a very unemotional family but I am the black sheep in this regard.

I also get visions and then the dreams....the dreams most often are Him telling me what I need to be focusing on...like if it is forgiveness then He brings people into the dream way back from my past to remind me to forgive them. Or if I am wasting too much time on one thing, He will show me in the dream to get off of that and move to some other project He has for me or area to work on.

I know I hear Him more than I realize and even follow Him pretty well, but the enemy really knows how to make me doubt myself so I get all conflicted. As far as the Bible....many times He will show me things as I read....and I know it doesn't come from me.

I'd really, really like to just hear His audible voice more often so I could feel secure, but I know He wants to train me in knowing His presence and His subtle leadings. I just don't feel confident and feel very insecure, in fact. I think it is because of other people that really undermine my leadings and make me think I am hearing from the devil or hallucinating or something. But I am sure the Lord is having this happen to help train me to not listen to the noise around me regardless of the scoffing and to just focus on Him.

Just think how wonderful it will be to finally hear His voice with out all this earthly noise.

Our first taste of HIS voice will be when He calls us to come up. We will hear His voice.

It just gives me chills right now thinking about it. To listen to The Word of God speak The Word.

Imagine to hear Jesus say our name.

I can hardly wait to hear Him sing and to hear what those songs of deliverance sound like . To listen to Him sing over us.

And it shall come to pass in the last days,says God,that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,your young men shall see visions,your old men shall dream dreams.And on my menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days;and they shall prophesy.I will show wonders in heaven above and signs in the earth beneath;blood and fire and vapor of smoke.The sun shall be turned into darkness,and the moon into blood,before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord(Acts 2:17-20)

If the gifts are to be manifested in the church in the last days,and we believe we are right at the close of this age,then we should look for more and more of the gifts to be manifested.This is precisely what is happening.The gifts are being restored in an ever increasing measure almost daily in the days in which we are now living.

There will be an outpouring of God's Spirit!For those who have the Holy Spirit,what has God called you to do?Are we in tuned to the Holy Spirit?Because for those who have the Holy Spirit,he has already poured his Spirit out on you.

Lord how can we serve you today?Teach us things that are true and perfect and guide us by Your Holy Spirit to go about the Father's business.

Heaven
And it shall come to pass in the last days,says God,that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,your young men shall see visions,your old men shall dream dreams.And on my menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days;and they shall prophesy.I will show wonders in heaven above and signs in the earth beneath;blood and fire and vapor of smoke.The sun shall be turned into darkness,and the moon into blood,before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord(Acts 2:17-20)

If the gifts are to be manifested in the church in the last days,and we believe we are right at the close of this age,then we should look for more and more of the gifts to be manifested.This is precisely what is happening.The gifts are being restored in an ever increasing measure almost daily in the days in which we are now living.

There will be an outpouring of God's Spirit!For those who have the Holy Spirit,what has God called you to do?Are we in tuned to the Holy Spirit?Because for those who have the Holy Spirit,he has already poured his Spirit out on you.

Lord how can we serve you today?Teach us things that are true and perfect and guide us by Your Holy Spirit to go about the Father's business.

Heaven I do that every day... God has positioned me to do some jobs(not all the jobs I do are hard but when I am working God wants me to show His love and to minister) no one else will do because he knows I will do it....I wanted to share that today I was working and the job was so easy and I am getting paid very well for it...too much I think ...well that is what went through my mind....like always I start feeling guilty.. I did not ask to be paid this much my clients told me they would pay me that much... well as soon as I thought to myself that I thought this was too much and started to feel guilty...immediately the Holy spirit spoke boldly to me and said "this is My provision and My blessing to you" Then I started praising Him for it.... I think that was the message to thank Him for His provision....instead I started to feel guilty....

Also I was thinking about my other post where I said I had bad tires and did not go right out and buy the used ones hat were on my heart...yes I disobeyed at that moment ( I have a feeling that was looked at as if I will never go to heaven :)) but that was a gentle urging to get new tires ... I think it was the Holy spirit training me to hear Him in a different way.... or to be more sensitive.... I did repent and get the tires after the snow melted.... sometimes that happens though I will have an unction and not follow through and later realize what the Holy Spirit was trying to get me to avoid. but today it was loud and clear!! I think that must have been more important....:)

The physical body of the believer in Jesus Christ is a temple in which the Holy Spirit dwells.The Apostle Paul said"Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you?"(1 Corinthians 6:19)
Yet the Holy Spirit within that temple is invisible;
Jesus taught Nicodemus about the Holy Spirit in terms of the wind,
The wind blows where it wishes,and you hear the sound of it,but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes.So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.(John 3:8)
Similarly,no one sees the Holy Spirit indwelling a believer,but the things the Holy Spirit does from within that believer are manifestations of his presence.
The Holy Spirit seals a believer(indwells) on the moment one accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and this believer is sealed as God's child which no one can snatch from God's hand.
We have all read in God's word that no one can earn salvation through works.Salvation is offered freely to everyone who accepts Jesus Christ as the son of God,knowing that through Jesus and Jesus only are we gathered into the kingdom of God.Without Jesus Christ there is no other sacrifices for our sins.He died so that we may live.
If each and every believer is promised the Holy Spirit then we must know that it is the Holy Spirit that teaches us the truth.The Holy Spirit will help the believer understand the things of God.an unbeliever cannot understand the things of God because God is Spirit and without the Holy Spirit,things of God makes no sense.However as a child of God it is vital that we learn to worship God in SPIRIT and in Truth because God is Spirit.If we do not stay in the presences of God through prayer,fellowship and worship,then how can we hear from God who reveals his thoughts and answers our prayers by way of the Holy Spirit?
We as Christians do not realize that the one who indwells us is the very one who reveals the truth in which he hears straight from God.If we cannot worship in Spirit then we could miss hearing a word from God.

Hi everybody,

I already gave my testimony over here earlier how the Lord has gone His way in my life to learn to hear His Voice. What a process and wonderful time it was!

So now I am in the stage where I hear the Voice of the precious Holy Spirit all the time. He just talks in my spirit, I hear His Voice in my head. I talk to Him all the time. I ask Him everything and this way I am in constant prayers. It's very important to be filled and led by the Spirit in these last days, to have discernment and to stay in His perfect will. And only the Holy Spirit can tell us the words of Jesus what to do, how and when.

I have to say, it's also His gift of grace for me, that I can hear Him this way all the time. As I said before, this has it's purpose. The Lord will use me to speak in my church (and others?) about His coming, the rapture. So he has trained me for a few years now to hear His Voice, as it will be very important, cause I will have to be tuned unto His Spirit all the time, as He will speak through me.

It's possible for every child of God to hear His voice, as He said His sheep hear His Voice. Every person is unique and He talks to every person in a different way, like many of you have perfectly written out here. He also gives me dreams, which He always interpreteeds when I wake up. And He also gives me His complete peace or not about some things. So this is how it works with me.

Hear is a show of Sid Roth with Mark Virkler about hearing God's Voice. After seeing this, I ordered his book and it's very good, he leads you step by step how to hear His Voice and you can read letters how God spoke to other people. Very interesting. It's a big working book, but worhty to have! Here is the link to the interview:

http://www.sidroth.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8639&news_iv_ctrl=0&abbr=tv_

It's possible to hear God's Voice, don't let the enemy tell you otherwise! Be blessed everyone!

Email: jan.sabrina@pandora.be

GIFT OF WISDOM
There are similarities and differences between a word of wisdom and a word of knowledge.First,wisdom and knowledge cannot be seperated into completely distinct categories because they are so closely related.Also the gift of wisdom is not the same as the world's wisdom.
KNOWLEDGE gives us facts
WISDOM shows us what to do with the knowledge.

Then what is the gift of a word of wisdom?It is a tiny portion of God's total wisdom directly and supernaturally imparted by the Holy Spirit.
For to one is given a word of wisdom through the Spirit(1 Corinthians 12:8)
God has all wisdom.But,fortunately for you and me,He does not give it to us all at once because it would completely submerge us.This gift is given by supernatural means because the results would not be available by natural means.It is imparted by the Holy Spirit in a way we could not get for ourselves.
If we stay close with God and walk with Jesus the Holy Spirit will impart this gift to whom he selects to have the gift of Wisdom.But if our spiritual hearing is dull we will not hear the word of wisdom that is given by the Holy Spirit.To worship God in Spirit and truth we will have our spiritual ears opened to receive the word of wisdom.We must learn to hear the small still voice.

THE WORD OF KNOWLEDGE

To another word of knowledge through the same Spirit.(1 Corinthians 12:8)

Like a word of wisdom,supernatural knowledge does not come by natural reasoning,education,or training but directly by the Holy Spirit,and it is operated only under God's control.We cannot have a word of knowledge merely by the exercise of our will.We may need knowledge and we may be open to receiving it from God,but whether He gives it is ultimately in His hands.
MANIFESTATIONS OF WORDS OF KNOWLEDGE IN SCRIPTURE.
We will begin with looking at the ministry of Jesus because Jesus is the perfect pattern.
Jesus saw Nathanael coming towards Him,and said of him,Behold,an Israelite indeed,in whom is no deceit.(John 1:47)
An another example...
The woman said to Him,Sir,give me this water,that I may not thirst,nor come here to draw.Jesus said to her,Go,call your husband,and come here.The woman answered and said,I have no husband.Jesus said to her,you have well said,I have no husband,for you have had five husbands,and the one whom you now have is not your husband;in that you spoke truly.The woman said to him,Sir,I perceive that you are a prophet.(John 4:15-19)

A WORD OF KNOWLEDGE FOR CONFIRMATION
In the following scriptures notice that the WORD OF KNOWLEDGE followed THE WORD OF WISDOM.
While Peter thought about the vision(WORD OF WISDOM)the Spirit said to him(WORD OF KNOWLEDGE)Arise therefore,go down and go with them,doubting nothing;for I have sent them.Then Peter went down to the men who had been sent to him from Cornelius(Acts 10:19-21)
WORD OF KNOWLEDGE CAN CONVICT,CONFIRM,AND PREPARE.
RESULTS OF A WORD OF KNOWLEDGE...
Let us then summarize the results that are frequently produced by a word of knowledge.The most conspicuous result is that it brings conviction of the truth.Second,it confirms something God has perhaps been showing us by some other means.Third,in certain circumstances,it prepares us for what is to come.

So we know that a Gift of Wisdom is God revealing to us by vision,or word or dream or even a small still voice.A word of knowledge gives us the understanding of the word of wisdom we may have received.This could be done by one having the word of Wisdom and another receiving the word of Knowledge to understand what the Spirit has shown by way of revealing His wisdom.
Once again,if we do not walk in the Spirit,we could miss a Word Of Knowledge that is revealed by the Holy Spirit.

There are Nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit.We have went over
(1)Word Of Wisdom
(2)Word of Knowledge

There are Seven More to go.I believe this teaching on the Holy Spirit is most important for the Christian to know and understand.If we leave the word of God and get into men's studies rather then God's Word we can be carry off by false doctrine.We must learn to hear from God and learn to recognize the small still voice,to recognize a word of Wisdom from the Spirit and to recognize a word of Knowledge from the Spirit.The next gift we will go over is the Gift of the discerning of spirits.This is a vital Gift that each Christian needs to pray for.

DISCERNING OF SPIRITS
Discerning of spirits is the third gift that can be grouped into the gifts of revelation,which are
(1)Wisdom
(2)Knowledge
(3)Discernment

To another is given the discerning of spirits(1Corinthians12:10)

The word discern may be defined as "to recognise and distinguish between".While knowledge is the impartation of a fact,discernment is a form of direct perception.The result may be the same,but the means is different.
Now I would like to stop right here and add that it is every Christians responsibility to read the word of God.When we as Christians have read God's word this enables anyone who has read God's word to have the ability to discern doctrine.If another comes with not the gospel of Jesus Christ but a strange doctrine then we who have read God's word is going to know that what they teach does not line up with the word of God then you know not to accept a teaching other then God's word.So by this we can all have the discernment of the word of God.However discerning of spirits is a gift,given by the Holy Spirit .

Discernment can come in different ways.At times,it may come as a vision where you actually see something that is not there in the natural.Let us look at two very obvious examples of this in scriptures.
First John the Baptist saw the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus as a dove.Other people who were present apparently did not see this,but John was given spiritual discernment(see John 1:32-34)
Second,in the book of Revelation,the apostle John was granted a vision of three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon,the beast,and the false prophet.(See Revelation16:13-14)
Yet discernment is not commonly given to believers through such visions.It usually comes in the form of a person seeing what is there in the natural,but seeing it with the understanding of the Holy Spirit.

Now I will continue this study on Discerning Of spirits.I would like to take the time for the information related in this post to settle in before continuing on.I would like to add an interesting fact

Revelation 1:10 I was in the (Spirit) on the Lord's day,and heard behind me a great voice as of a trumpet.

John most certainly was tuned into the Holy Spirit to have received the revelation from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Also I would like to add that this teaching is for the mature in Christ.We all know that God's word will stand when all else is gone.This teaching on the Holy Spirit is meat for the mature.

Hebrews 5:11 We have much to say about this,but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.(12)In fact,though by this time you ought to be teachers,you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again.You need milk,not solid food.(13)Anyone who lives on milk,being still an infant,is not acquainted with the teachings about righteousness.(14)But solid food is for the mature,who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

So to a baby Christian this thread may seem a little too much but it is most helpful to learn.After all the Holy Spirit indwells the hearts of the believer.

Continuing on...
THE Word Of Discernment

Let us consider some definitions to the gift of discerning of spirits.First,this gift does not refer only to discerning evil spirits.There are various classes of spirits that we encounter in the Christian life;
the Holy Spirit
Good Angels
Fallen Angels(evil spirits)
Human spirits.

Discerning of spirits is again,operated under God's control.We cannot do it at will.

Since this study is geared to understanding the Holy Spirit and learning to hear from God,we should pray for discernment of the Holy Spirit,meaning to worship God in Spirit and learning to hear the small still voice.

"Is a believer supposed to be able to feel the Holy Spirit?"

Answer: While certain ministries of the Holy Spirit may involve a feeling, such as conviction of sin, comfort, and empowerment, Scripture does not instruct us to base our relationship with the Holy Spirit on how or what we feel. Every born-again believer has the indwelling Holy Spirit. Jesus told us that when the Comforter has come He will be with us and in us. “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you” (John 14:16-17). In other words, Jesus is sending one like Himself to be with us and in us.

We know the Holy Spirit is with us because God's Word tells us that it is so. Every born-again believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, but not every believer is controlled by the Holy Spirit, and there is a distinct difference. When we step out in our flesh, we are not under the control of the Holy Spirit even though we are still indwelt by Him. The apostle Paul comments on this truth, and he uses an illustration that helps us to understand. “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). Many people read this verse and interpret it to mean that the apostle Paul is speaking against wine. However, the context of this passage is the walk and the warfare of the Spirit-filled believer. Therefore, there is something more here than just a warning about drinking too much wine.

When people are drunk with too much wine, they exhibit certain characteristics: they become clumsy, their speech is slurred, and their judgment is impaired. The apostle Paul sets up a comparison here. Just as there are certain characteristics that identify someone who is controlled by too much wine, there should also be certain characteristics that identify someone who is controlled by the Holy Spirit. We read in Galatians 5:22-24 about the “fruit” of the Spirit. This is the Holy Spirit’s fruit, and it is exhibited by the born-again believer who is under His control.

The verb tense in Ephesians 5:18 indicates a continual process of “being filled” by the Holy Spirit. Since it is an exhortation, it follows that it is also possible to not be filled or controlled by the Spirit. The rest of Ephesians 5 gives us the characteristics of a Spirit-filled believer. “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” (Ephesians 5:19-21).

We are not filled with the Spirit because we feel we are, but because this is the privilege and possession of the Christian. Being filled or controlled by the Spirit is the result of walking in obedience to the Lord. This is a gift of grace and not an emotional feeling. Emotions can and will deceive us, and we can work ourselves up into an emotional frenzy that is purely from the flesh and not of the Holy Spirit. “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature … Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16, 25).

Having said that, we cannot deny that there are times when we can be overwhelmed by the presence and the power of the Spirit, and this is often an emotional experience. When that happens, it is a joy like no other. King David “danced with all his might” (2 Samuel 6:14) when they brought up the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem. Experiencing joy by the Spirit is the understanding that as children of God we are being blessed by His grace. So, absolutely, the ministries of the Holy Spirit can involve our feelings and emotions. At the same time, we are not to base the assurance of our possession of the Holy Spirit on how we feel.

Heaven
"

The verb tense in Ephesians 5:18 indicates a continual process of “being filled” by the Holy Spirit.

Since it is an exhortation, it follows that it is also possible to not be filled or controlled by the Spirit.

The rest of Ephesians 5 gives us the characteristics of a Spirit-filled believer. “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.

Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” (Ephesians 5:19-21).

Being filled or controlled by the Spirit is the result of walking in obedience to the Lord.

. . “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature … Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16, 25).

. . . King David “danced with all his might” (2 Samuel 6:14) when they brought up the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem. Experiencing joy by the Spirit is the understanding that as children of God we are being blessed by His grace.

I ditto that!! A big, amen!!!

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com