Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Don't Pray for America, Jack Kelly Post

It is very sad to watch the goings on in our government today but this is a nice article that could help to keep a better perspective on our true citizenship which is not here.

God bless you all and keep looking up!!
----------------------------------------------------

Don’t Pray For America
Posted in: My Thoughts

Commentary by Jack Kelley

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (1Cor. 2:9)

In the time just before the Babylonian captivity, the people of Judah were certain that God would not permit the Babylonians to conquer them. “After all,” they said, “we’re God’s people. His Temple is in our midst. Surely He will spare us.” Their leaders encouraged them to think this way and false prophets assured them that everything would soon be normal again. Even when the Babylonian armies were at the very gates of Jerusalem they were expecting God to miraculously deliver them.

In fact, God had actually told them that if they turned back to Him, he would spare them.

If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your forefathers for ever and ever. But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless. (Jere. 7:5-8)

But they took no notice of how their behavior had offended Him, thinking only that because they claimed to be His people He would save them. Their leaders had told them that God would spare them and because that’s what they wanted to hear, that’s what they believed.

Finally, on three separate occasions God told Jeremiah to stop praying for them because He wasn’t going to listen any more. (Jere. 7:16, 11:14, 14:11) They had gone too far. Only a few years after a national revival they had quickly slid back into their idolatry and for God it was the last straw.

God’s third discussion with Jeremiah on this matter is worth reviewing.

Then the LORD said to me, “Do not pray for the well-being of this people. Although they fast, I will not listen to their cry; though they offer burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Instead, I will destroy them with the sword, famine and plague.”

But I said, “Ah, Sovereign LORD, the prophets keep telling them, ‘You will not see the sword or suffer famine. Indeed, I will give you lasting peace in this place.’ “

Then the LORD said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries (worthless divinations) and the delusions of their own minds. (Jere. 14:11-14)

It was too late. They had missed their last chance. Even if the people did agree to mend their ways and come back to Him now, He knew their hearts had not changed. They would just be doing whatever they could to avoid the judgment. His decision had been made.

God is merciful but He is also just. He can’t go on overlooking sin forever. There comes a time when He has to act, even though He would rather not. It brings Him no joy, and He’s always looking for a way out that won’t compromise His values.

For example, while He was on the way to judge Sodom and Gomorrah Abraham engaged Him on this very point. “Will you spare the cities if there are 50 righteous people there,” Abraham asked. “Yes,” God replied, “For 50 I will spare the cities.” Then Abraham progressively worked the number down until they finally agreed that even if only 10 righteous people were found there God would spare everyone. (Genesis 18:22-33) Well, there weren’t 10 righteous people there so the judgment was confirmed. But there was one and even though He wasn’t bound to, God insisted that the one righteous person had to be removed from the time and place of the judgment before it could begin. The one was Lot. (Genesis 19:21-22)

Whether in Sodom or in Jerusalem, no one knew in advance that God was about to run out of patience because He doesn’t want people to obey His rules just out of fear. He wants them to obey because it’s the right thing to do. With Him the motive has to be right in order to make the action right.

Israel had been God’s kingdom on Earth for over 600 years. They were so well established they didn’t think it mattered what they did. As long as they called themselves God’s people and went through the motions of worshiping Him they thought they were safe. And after all their Scriptures said that Israel was a Kingdom established by God, who intends for it to exist forever on Earth. Even so, when God’s righteousness demanded judgment, nothing could prevent it.

We need to remember that while in many ways America is like Israel, the Church is not. First, The Church is not a national kingdom with a homeland and geographical borders. Our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. (Phil 3:20) He’s not coming here to be with us where we are. He’s coming to take us to His Father’s house to be with Him where He is. (John 14:1-3) So when He does it won’t matter whether we’re from the United States, the United Kingdom or the United Arab Emirates because the Church is everywhere. God has only established one eternal nation on Earth and that’s Israel. The Church’s eternal home is in Heaven where an inheritance from God Himself awaits us. (Gal. 4:4-7)

Second, the Church never needs to fear a judgment such as the ones I described above. The Lord Jesus agreed to be judged in place of the Church in order to present us to Himself without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. (Ephes 5:27)

The Religious Right and other well intended American Christians frequently send out eMails urging everyone to pray for America. But where in the Bible did God to say to pray for any place on Earth other than Jerusalem? God’s will would be much better served if the Church would pray for itself, that it would finally adopt the Biblical world view it was intended to have, and become what it was intended to be, the body of Christ. It’s an indication of what a secular world view the American Church has when more of us are praying that God will restore the good old days in our country than are praying for the Lord’s speedy return to take us away from here.

Prayers for America are fine as far as they go, but they’re motivated more by a love for what our country has been than by a desire to see God’s will done on Earth. And when you get right down to it, praying that God will restore America could be seen as an admission that we’re really not ready to see God’s will done on Earth yet.

Many of us grew up in America believing that God is on our side. But when I began studying the Bible I realized that God doesn’t take sides, He is a side. Whatever blessing we’ve enjoyed as a nation has come during times when we’ve been on His side, not because He’s on ours. As far as God is concerned, America is one of the nations destined to be completely destroyed during the Great Tribulation (Jere. 30:11). In His mind, the only nation on Earth that matters always has been and always will be Israel.

Even so, there came a day when God told Jeremiah to stop praying for Israel because it was too late to change His mind. Even a revival wouldn’t have helped them. If it’s not already here, that day will soon come for America and whatever favor our nation might have enjoyed with God will be gone for good.

It’s time for American Christians to realize that America is just a place where we’re temporarily living. And while we mourn the fact that America seems to be turning its back on Israel, we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that America is also turning its back on the Church.

According to no less an authority than our President, America is not a Christian nation. He’s right. The only connection between God and America today is that a bunch of us who believe in Him happen to live here. Americans don’t live by God’s laws, we don’t teach our children about Him in our schools, we don’t offer public prayers in His name, and the holy days we observe are no longer tributes to Him. We don’t thank Him for the blessings we receive and we don’t turn to Him when we’re in need.

America is a secular gentile nation that will soon be no more comfortable a home for the Church than pre-war Germany was for the Jews. It’s high time we excised our patriotism from our religion. Think of it as a reverse separation of Church and State. In the last election Americans said they don’t want the Church’s values guiding the nation’s direction. Well neither should Christians want America’s values guiding the Church. We should be so passionately yearning to leave here that our feet barely touch the ground when we walk.

One day the Lord was asking some men to follow Him. The first one said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” (By that he meant, “Let me wait till my father dies.”) And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

Another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:59-60)

His position here is consistent with His warning against accumulating treasure on Earth.

“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (Matt. 6:24) In the original language the word translated money also includes possessions. If you’re up to your elbows in nice things, you’re naturally going to want to spend your time with them instead of preparing to leave them and move to your new home.

He also had this to say about the seed sown among thorns.

As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. (Matt. 13:22)

These verses all speak against becoming so immersed in the ways of the world that we lose sight of where our real home is. In each case the one who falls into this trap becomes unfruitful. That means we ignore Kingdom opportunities here and forfeit Kingdom rewards there.

Why do so many in the American Church cling to America when America has made it clear it wants nothing to do with the Church? It’s because it’s our nature to always place a higher value on what we know than on what we don’t know. We know how good our life here has been, but most of us don’t know the first thing about how life in our eternal home will be. A surprising number believe we’ll be sitting on clouds all day playing harps. Others think of Heaven as an endless worship service, and compare it to their Sunday morning experiences. It’s no wonder they’d rather stay here.

It would be easy to blame organized religion for not teaching us the truth about this. But that would be a cop-out. After all organized religion itself is an earth centered institution. The real problem is that it takes a lot of faith to choose the unknown over the known. And just like most American Christians don’t have the faith to live their beliefs, choosing to live secular lives instead, most of us don’t have the faith to believe God’s promises for eternity, so we focus on the here and now.

The solution to all this is deceptively simple. Paul wrote that faith comes through hearing the Word of the Lord (Rom. 10:17). By reading what the Bible says about what’s in store for us we can be made new in the attitude of our minds (Ephes. 4:23). We can be transformed, no longer conforming to the pattern of this world. (Romans 12:3). We can understand what it means to be in the world but not of it. We can discover that the greatest adventure ever designed for mankind lies right around the corner, and since we’ve accepted the Lord’s death as payment in full for our sins it’s all for us. And finally, we’ll understand that while America’s successes have been without parallel, in all the Age of Man the biggest winner by far is the Church. 06-06-09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Don't Pray for America, Jack Kelly Post

Jack Kelley wrote this on my 43rd birthday and, I have to agree with him in that respect. I don't want my kids living in this kind of country at all. America is losing her wealth, is wrought with natural disasters, the big one is not too far off, before you know it we will be under Sharia law, but not the church. We need to pray for our future in heaven, which we do everyday. We want "Thy kingdom come thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven." Not as it is in the United States of America.

I was really disturbed last night at a FB comment made by a former classmate who is beyond liberal and is always trashing conservatives and Christians. First of all most the people on my FB are Christians even though we had to grow up with Catholicism, and second of all, are conservative. So she went on to say that the Tea party people were yelling the "N" word and the "FA" word towards BO at the capitol. I have heard of no such thing and, the Tea Partiers I saw in Atlanta were peaceful and respectful. The liberals are getting down right nasty and hateful!!!!

Email: maria callison@hotmail.com

This message is SO good. Thanks for sharing.
Angela

Email: angela.shaver@earthlink.net

Maria, I noticed the date but forgot that was your bday!! That date still makes me chuckle!! This political stuff can really get to your emotions and there is a lot of lies going on in the media, etc. We are so blessed to know the truth. Our King is coming to take us to His kingdom!! I cannot wait Amen!!

I figured so Melissa and I tried to convey that to her and she just deleted the thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes indeed the only place left for us!!!!!!

Angela, Glad you enjoyed this article. If you have not checked out Jack Kelly's web site it is really great, it is:

Gracethrufaith.com

There are a lot of great teachings/info on his site!

Maria, It seems that we have been conditioned in this country to be embarrassed of Jesus and that is one reason that I love FB because it is a chance to witness to friends and relatives with the gospel! I have a comment that I believe the rapture is coming really soon on my FB profile! I am sure some people are put off by that and probably think I am a looney, but I am praying that they are warned!!

Happy Birthday Maria! I'm not sure when Jack wrote this, nor how long its been since your birthday, but I hope it was a happy and blessed one!

Someday soon we'll all get to celebrate together!

That is so kind Diane, I was born on 6/6/66 so, that has been a long standing joke for my entire life!!!!!

Jack wrote this on 6/6/09. I did not feel this strongly about this last June but, I do now for sure!!!!!

Melissa, I am not afraid at all to talk about God and Jesus, talking with y'all for the past 8 months has definitely helped, and, I get clear info to share that my peers and family would never hear.

Maria, Fellowshipping here on RITA has definitely strengthened me too and seeing how bold others are have encouraged me to do the same!

I remember how shy about bringing up the Lord I used to be and have gotten better about it over time!

I was just saying above that our friends or family may be embarrassed by our bringing up the Lord but they need to hear it!

We are like firemen/ladies pulling people out of burning buildings Amen!!

corgi mom maria
That is so kind Diane, I was born on 6/6/66 so, that has been a long standing joke for my entire life!!!!!

LOL, that's pretty funny Maria! Well, Elvis died on my 16th birthday, so I'm thinking of having a talk with him about this when I get to heaven - LOL. JFK was shot on my friend's birthday, and my daughter was born on 11-11 (there's those 11's again). Oh well, at least it's easy for me to remember birthdays around here!

Wow, Diane, that must have been a total shock on your 16th bday. I remember that day vividly. I was watching a black and white episode of "Tarzan", and then across the bottom of the screen...the info was posted about his death. I think that was like 1978.

Melissa, totally agree with you...now that I don't have TV I probably yack more with y'all. I have got to go do laundry now at my moms. She will feed me dinner:). Monday is my only day off, but that is OK life is good.

Lets see what goes on this week!!!!!!!!!!

Do I have to give up praying for the wick because of this HC bill? Do I have to say to myself it is over to pray for these people and this country?

Certainly not! I am still gonna praying for my country, and I am praying for this government. I'm praying not for her judgments but for her repentance. It is not I who decided when to finish praying for the US. I will pray for the mercy of Adonai upon USA and the repentance of these people till the last minute i.e. till the judgment comes or till My Lord told me by Himself that I should stop praying for this country.

May Yeshua puts His mercy upon the US and let Adonai gives His Holy Spirit, Spirit of Repentance among these people who done wickedness to reveal their uncleanness and make them repent from their sins. As their sins have been hight toward the sky and their time is limited right now. The remaining time has been counted and it is not long, time for your repentance (the US) has been closing, and it is closing fast. I know like Jack Kelly said, my praying could be useless but there some people who stands for this country for her salvation till the last minute. As I haven't seen fire and smoke from it, there is still hope. It will come the time when the counting is ended, the judgment literally comes and fires and smokes are everywhere. Time for completion of everything is on the horizon, ye knew it will come.

May the grace and mercy and joy of Adonai through His Only Begotten Son Yeshua fulfill each of us everyday of our life till forever as we gonna meet in the air soon ....

Geneustace, You are so right we need to keep praying up to the last second we are out of here! I think Jack Kelly is just trying to help people to cope with what they are seeing happening to the US and to help prepare them to move to a better place!!

I too will keep praying for repentence and salvation for the people in this country!

Yes, I read into it as not praying for the material wealth to rebound so that we can all drive nice cars, have a second home etc.... We definitely need to pray for our military who are subject to this horrible regime.

But, don't pray for wealth and power, its not here. The wealth and power is in Israel in a spritual way.

"We should be so passionately yearning to leave here that our feet barely touch the ground when we walk."
+++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you Melissa for posting his message. I appreciate you sharing this information.

God's Word referenced above brings our situation here into clear focus.

It's really sad, real sad, this country HAS TURNED A DEAF EAR TO OUR LORD AND HIS CAUSE.

We're Christ's Ambassadors of the Gospel and before He declares war on this planet He'll call His Ambassadors HOME.

God Bless Your Melissa and I'm really LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU AND ALL OF OUR FAITHFUL RITA FAMILY SOON.

ybi Christ's Wonderful Love,
Joe

Email: jpcarr@att.net

It's really sad, real sad, this country HAS TURNED A DEAF EAR TO OUR LORD AND HIS CAUSE.

We're Christ's Ambassadors of the Gospel and before He declares war on this planet He'll call His Ambassadors HOME.

God Bless Your Melissa and I'm really LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU AND ALL OF OUR FAITHFUL RITA FAMILY SOON.

Joseph, You are such a kind brother!! Thank you for your encouragement and these are some very fine points you made!

I am truly looking forward to meeting everyone of this RITA family also!

Take care your sis in Christ Melissa

No way will I stop praying! Perry Stone just said we need to pray big time. This does not say that we love america more than Jesus or Heaven. Wouldn't satan love for all of christians to stop praying...of course he would. I would rather know that I'm praying as the bible instructs us to do than to stop and make satan happy. Think of all the angels we put to flight with our prayers and how many would stop if we stopped praying!

Here's how my prayers go for America..

I ask the Father in Jesus name to place the "Wrath" upon those in Congress of the US and the states (as well as the President) that passed the abortion bills, homo-bills, and anything contrary to his way for our living..

I then ask that if possible, unless it's against His (God's) will, to preserve the USA area for those that needs a sanctuary during the tribulation period..

Joseph

Darlene, I agree that we should never stop praying. I think that this commentary maybe should have had a different title because we should definitely keep praying!

I think that Jack Kelly is trying to get people to look at the big picture though and like what Steve W is saying in his post, the churches are sleeping through this! They should be getting excited about the rapture.

Maria, That was a good point about praying for our military, they really feel this I am sure as they are putting their lives on the line and then watching our govt trash things.

Joseph, I also pray that the US will be a sanctuary for people post rapture! It was a wilderness for a long time and only that last 300 years or so integrated with the rest of the world.

This morning I was praying about this thread and I remembered a really funny tract that I read called "The Thief". It is about a guy that breaks into someones home to steal and decides to kill the homeowner. The homeowner is just elated and starts thanking the thief and going on and on about the mansion he is going to and all the wealth stored up for him in heaven and how he just can't wait to get there. This catches the thief's attention of course and he is saved by the end of the tract. (Chick Tract)

Anyway I will keep praying for the theives that are robbing this country, I would rather see them get saved than get torched. At the same time, I am going to remember to keep rejoicing and be ready to go to the reward that the Lord has for us in our real home!!

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com