Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question and a confession!

Ok folks, my confession is that I smoke cigarettes! I can't stand it! I desperately want to give it up, but the enemy is so strong. I am praying relentlessly for help from my Savior, but I blame myself because I am not trusting him enough I believe.

Questions: Does anyone here smoke? Has anyone defeated this? How did you do it?

I really feel my prayers are being blocked by this horrible addiction!! Help if you can! Thanks! Love you all!!

Re: Question and a confession!

Hi Melissa, I did that for years!! It is a pretty hard habit to break but takes a lot of willpower and just stick to it. I read a little book called 21 days to quit smoking, the last time I quit and it was kind of helpful. If you can tough it out for about 21 days you will not have any more desires to do it. It is something that gradually just becomes not a strong addiction the longer you are away from it.

I can really sympathize with you because I know it is a tough one to give up!! Will pray for you!!

Come on guys, give it to me like you see it! I can take it! Give me your input...this is a sin that I must defeat! Tell me how bad I am or whatever you feel! Just give it to me...at least fourtenn have read but not responded!! Please!!

Thank you Melissa! I will look up that book! This sin has got to go!!! Love you girl!

lol ... in the words of Andrew Womack "You're not going to hell if you smoke, you just might smell like you've been there."
Anyways, all joking aside, I hear you and I completely understand, I was in the same boat and really thought the same thing that my prayers were not being heard or answered because of my smoking but that simply wasn't true. However, it came to the point to break that dirty habit once and for all I had to pray a specific prayer over and over where I said Lord, cause me to detest cigarettes, put something in me, change something about the way I see cigarettes, cause me to hate it, the smell, the money spent on them etc. Honestly, this was just 3 and a half months ago, and one evening sitting on the couch smoking it just clicked, I looked at my hand, I looked at the junk I was inhaling and blowing back out and I said, what the heck am I doing, sucking this poison into this body where the Holy Spirit resides, that moment I felt the disgust and threw out the rest of the pack, since then, every time I smell smoke or see someone smoking, I can't believe I was doing the same, I just see it as bondage and has no place in a Christians life.
I do not want to sound judgmental, I am 32, ive smoked since 15 and quit several times maybe 2 dozen times once as long as 6 months then I went back to it, however this time its different, this time its Gods work and answer to my prayer, cigarettes just don't have that appeal anymore, all desire and craving are DEAD, this can only be supernatural answer to my prayer. I do not think that if a Christian smokes that their prayer is not heard, for I was a smoker when I got my prayer answered for receiving the gift of tongues and so many other prayers were answered while I was a smoker but overall I still felt the Holy Spirit was being grieved and my health was poor and most of all its a bad example to other Christians when they see a professing Christian walking around with a bible in one hand and a smoke dangling from their mouth, or even orange finger tips like in my case. My brother and fiancee are born again Christians, really intelligent and big hearted Christians, but they still struggle with the cigarette addiction but I believe God is going to cause them to quit, but first, they have to WANT it, they have to WANT to please God by giving it up.
Hope this helped, sorry if it was long winded.

Good luck Big M!! That was a few years ago - maybe 14? But you still may be able to find something like it!!
PS Love you too!!

Melissa..

I can sympathize with you ..when I gave it up I prayed a LOT and I ate Halls mentholated cough drops every time I wanted a cigarette I would eat a halls cough drop because they taste so nasty that I never wanted a cigarette when I had that nasty taste in my mouth..and as the other Melissa told you..it takes about 21 days but after that time it is sooooo easy to want to go back..so be strong when you give it up..

Praying for you

Sarah

Email: sbell48907@aol.com

Wow Kirk! Thanks! I have been praying over this daily for awhile now. I have also quit...like for ten years while I was having kids. But then one day a few years back it crept back in. Just one I thought. What a shocker! That didn't happen. I am sure the enemy loved it. I just want to be pleasing to the Lord. I want to have favor in his eyes, and I feel like he isn't happy with me now. I am keeping on and I am going to get through this!! I just have to pick up my cross and make it happen. Thank you soo much for your input. Truly needed at this time!! Love to you brother!

Halls...I don't like those with anything. lol! Maybe I will try that too. Thanks sister!

My pleasure! God bless everyone.

I smoked cigarettes in college and gave it up when I got pregnant. Smoking cigarettes is not a sin in my opinion, its just not good for you. I work around Christians who smoke and, we all have our battles. If I smoked a cigarette now I would get sick so, its a matter of getting the toxins out of the system. No different than giving up caffeine or sugar. You have to slowly re program your brain...slowly, its not overnight.

Email: maria callison@hotmail.com

Here is what I did.

I thought of something that I really wanted from the Lord, something that isn't easy. I made a vow to Him that if he would perform it for me, I would never smoke again. There is one thing that I know about myself. When I make a vow to God, I keep it because I am scared not to...I fear Him.

That was the only way that I could quit. The thing that I asked from Him was to sell my house and my business at the same time, and quickly. He sold them both in 1 1/2 months in a really lousy economy. The person that wanted to buy my business couldn't get any financing, so a lady at my bank, of her own volition, (I know it was the Lord) called a friend of hers and asked him if he wanted a good business deal. I didn't know her, or him, nor did the person that was buying my business. She was the loan officer that the person buying my business gave the loan papers to. Her friend gave the person that bought my business a personal loan for the full amount. That was a miracle! I haven't smoked since. Sometimes I dream about it, and in my dream the fear rises up in me because I am remembering the vow that I made to the Lord in my spirit, and it scares me in my dream.

That was the only way that I could quit. I had no choice at that point, and I had to because I made a vow to God. I didn't really like them anyway, so I was glad that He honored my vow so that I would have to honor mine to His. I have no desire to smoke anymore, and my relationship with Him has flourished. I feel so honored that He heard my prayers. He showed me to what lengths He will go to help His children. Awesome, huh.

Just know that He really wants to help you overcome this, and He will if you committ yourself to it.

Hi Big Mama!

I smoked in college, and I got hooked pretty fast.

I have to say that what did it for me was:
I was listening to worship music while driving to work & smoking a cigarrette...and whatdoyaknow but "This is the Air I Breathe" began to play. As I started singing with it, I thought, "This is ridiculous- What am I doing? I can't be breathing in this nasty crud at the same time as singing about breathing in the air of God's Spirit!!!!!!!!"

It wasn't my last cigarrette, but it was definitely the beginning of the end.

Blessing, Big Mama. I will pray that the Lord will just take the desire away from you!

1 Corinthians 9:25-27 NKJV

And everyone who competes for the prize

is temperate in all things. Now they do it

to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an

imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus:

not with uncertainty. Thus I fight:

not as one who beats the air.

But I discipline my body and bring it into

subjection, lest, when I have preached to

others, I myself should become disqualified.

Big Mama...

We love you. Love yourself enough to do it.

Many famous Christians have smoked. Charles Spurgeon was a pipe smoker. Lots of others have struggled with it. My Uncle Don was head of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship in our state, yet he smoked a pipe & struggled to rid himself of it for years. He finally did, but not without a battle.

You might try the patch. I have two close friends that were heavily addicted, & recently used the patch / Nicorette gum to ease the nicotine out of their systems. It's been a year for both of them. I'll ask them which patch worked.

Think of the positive health effects you will gain. I've lost several close friends to cancer, & chemo is not fun to go through at all. Emphysema is also no picnic.

But, most of all... keep in mind that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Hang in there. We'll be for you.

Thank you sooo much...all of you! You have brought tears to my eyes. You have let me know I am not alone, but most of all you have given me strength! I can do this...and I am going to do this!!! Thank you all again and many many blessing to each and every one of you. You are all such blessings in my life! I truly love my RITA family!!!

Dear Big Mama,

I totally sympathize what you're going through. I smoked for 40 years. I quit about a dozen times, just to go back to them again. One time I quit for 2 1/2 years and I went back to smoking again because I was fighting the cravings EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR A CIGARETTE!! I wanted to desperately please God and not to bring shame to His name by smoking, so that was my motivation for quitting. Because of my shame, I eventually became a closet smoker. I tried soooo hard to quit in my own strength, and couldn't stay off of them.

Can you relate to this? Wait!! It gets better!!!

One day I got real with the Lord and told Him that I loved to smoke, my flesh didn't want to give it up, but my mind and heart wanted to give it up in order to please Him and have a right witness as a Christian. Then I told Him, that I was "willing to be made willing" to quit smoking. I apologized to Him because that was all I could offer at that time, and I asked Him for His help PLEASE!!!!

Well, in His grace and mercy, He took my up on my "offer" soon after that. I had some infected boils that wouldn't go away, so the doctor put me in the hospital to have them surgically removed. I was in there for 4 days, being pumped with IV's and antibiotics intraveniously. Even though I missed my cigarettes and wanted to smoke, surprisingly I had no withdrawal symptoms like I had when I quit on my own.

Well, to show you what a dope I was, when I got home, I had totally forgoten that I had asked the Lord for help to quit smoking, so the first thing I did was to reach for a cigarette. I was about to light one up, when I heard the Lord speak to me as clear as day:

"DON'T YOU DARE PUT THOSE TOXINS BACK INTO YOUR BODY AFTER I REMOVED THEM FOR 4 DAYS!!! YOU TAKE THOSE CIGARETTES, BREAK THEM UP, THROW THEM IN THE TRASH, AND NEVER SMOKE AGAIN!!!"

Yikes!! I immediately did what He said, and I haven't touched one since. He not only removed the cravings, but also the desire to start up again!!! That was over two years ago, and I thank and praise Him sooo much!

Big Mama, you can do it!! The Lord will help you! Just be honest with Him and He'll meet you halfway like He did for me, and you'll be amazed at what He will do!!

I quit smoking 27 years ago when my daughter was very young because she had asthma and the doctor told me I could not smoke around her. I hadn't smoked very long, but I know how addicting they can be in a short time. Anyway, I quit - just threw them in the trash one day and asked God to help me never buy any more or smoke again, and He did. It was difficult at first, but God saw me through.

I then watched both my parents (chain smokers all their lives) die of emphysema (sp?). If you really want a reason to quit, go to a nursing home and sit and talk with someone dying of that and watch how they struggle to breathe. That should do it.

My dad, as he slowly passed away by suffocating, used to smoke WHILE he was sitting with his oxygen on (he could have easily blown his face off). He would lay in bed at night and struggle so much to breathe that he would put his hands above his head onto the wooden shelf on the bed and claw at the wood with every breath. I still have the bed, and his claw marks on it. If I were ever tempted to smoke (which I am not anymore), all I would have to do is look at those claw marks and I'd be cured!

I think not being able to breathe is the best reason to quit. It's SCARY when you can't catch your breath! Especially bad when you figure out that you did it to yourself.

Anyway, blessings to you sis, I will say a prayer that God brings EXACTLY the right reason into your life for you to quit!

Diane, what a testimony. My heart goes out to you. It must have been horrible to watch your loved ones die like that.

It is amazing, though, how some people, even though they know cigarettes are killing them, just cannot quit.

I had a neighbor that had a heart attack while mowing the lawn. The doc told him if he didn't quit smoking immediately he would die within months. He kept smoking afterwards and died about 2 months after the heart attack.

Hi there, Big Mamma Melissa.

I'm another one that has struggled with the cigarette addiction. I do know how difficult it is to quit. Probably one of the hardest addictions to get over and get through. Those who've overcome Alcoholism say the addiction never really goes away. They just learn to manage it. I believe that is very true and cigarettes are definitly an addiction.

I smoked from the time I was about 16, up to 53 yrs. old. I'm now 57, so haven't been off of them all that long. But still, even after 4 yrs. of not smoking, there are times when I could still smoke one a yard long!!! I was a very heavy smoker, and problably smoked about 3 packs a day. So you understand that I almost always had a cigarette going. My Dh still smokes, so that's also kind of difficult, and I've heard it said that the strength of an addiction, is dose related. Like any drug, and nictotine is certainly a drug. So, the more cigs that you smoke, the stronger the addicton and the harder to quit.

I had tried to quit many times over the years, and never made it very long until that last quit. So, the saying is true, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. One of those times you'll be successful, and that was certainly the case for me.

I can't really tell you why the last quit was successful for me, but I'll relate the experience. I was kind of like Kirk, in that I was just getting tired of it. I was starting to cough quite a bit, and also, felt very convicted about reading my Bible and dropping cigarette ashes on it. And all of the other reasons such as smelling like cigs, ashes and ashtrays all around, the continual washing of drapes and curtains. Not to mention having to paint more often.

Anyway, I'd been feeling kind of convicted, and happened to be reading a Billy Graham book. He said people often asked him how to know if something that they are doing is a sin or not? Now, some things are obvious, like lying, stealing, etc... other things like smoking, are more subtle and are hard to classify. So, Billy said the best thing to ask yourself when you want to know if something is a sin for you, Is to ask yourself if you could thank or praise God for it.

Wow, for some reason that really clicked for me. So, I stopped right there and prayed and confessed to the Father how addicted I was, and now understood that for me, smoking was a sin. I told Him that I wanted to quit and how addicted I was, and how much in bondage I was to those darn cigs. I asked Him to help me to quit. I didn't smoke anymore after that.

I won't say that the Father took my desire to quit away,in fact there are times that I still really want one, and those urges come out of the blue; but He did instil the desire to please Him as a much stronger thing than it had been. Every time I wanted a cig, I stopped what I was doing and prayed and asked for His help.

I will say, that being at home as a housewife was a blessing. If I had still been in the workplace the stress might have been to much for me, and I'm sure my work-mates would have suffered my withdrawles. LOl!

The first 15 days was really, really hard. In fact by the third day, I almost lost it and gave in to the desire to smoke. But, I had some of those Commit Lozenges around from the last time I tried to quit, so I broke down and used those. I used those to get me through the worst of it. I'd say, it was a real struggle for me for at least 30 days. Then it eased up quit a bit. Although it would have been very easy to start back up, the real hard core cravings were gone, and the urges became less and less frequent.

I'd say, that when you are ready to give another try at quiting, to be prepared ahead of time. Wash and put away all ashtrays. Throw out all cigaretts. Maybe have some Commit Lozenges or Nicorett gum around for when the urges are overwhelming.

I think it's better if you can cold turkey it, but it's much better to have a sucessful quit, and if the aides such as the lozenges and Gum can get you over the hump, that's better that smoking.

Also, take a good vitamin, have lots of fruit around if you like it. Drink lots of water, eat Carrot sticks, celery sticks, etc... That crunchy stuff was helpful for me. For about a month, try and stay away from things that trigger urges. Anything that you do, that seems to go with a smoke, such as coffee. Maybe switch to tea, or some other beverage? Talking on the phone was a trigger for me, so I used to have some straws next to the phone, and pretend to smoke one of those while I was talking. LOL! Hey, what ever works, right?

Also any kind of gum or something to suck on. I found that sugar free Cinnamon drops were good for me, as they kind of give the same mouth sensation as a cig. Kind of a mild burn or irritation.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is have a plan. Decide on a day, have all the things that might help you ready before hand. Give it to God, and go for it!

I'll be keeping you in prayer, dear Sister. I know that you can do it. The Lord is able to make you stand. Amen.

Hugs, YSIC,
Chris N.

P.S. I have one more tip. When you are emptying those ashtrays... take a pretty good sized jar, one that has a tight fitting lid, and empty one of your ashtrays in that jar.

Put enough water to cover up the the butts and ashes by about an inch or so, then put the lid on that jar. Leave that jar on the counter somewhere you will see it often. When you get a bad craving, open up that jar and take a whiff!

Don't empty the jar or put fresh water in there, they will marinate and get even stinkier. That's what you want. Something that makes you really go UGHHHHH! IcK!!!, Gag!!! LOL! I know that sounds strange, but I read about doing that on a quit smoking site, and It does help to take those urges away. LOL!

Good luck, Sis!

Thanks again guys! Lots of great tips, and horror stories. Sorry to say it but those do help! I am not saying it is going to happen for me tomorrow, but I think I need to set a date, and like AbideInHim said, be prepared!!!! I never smoke in the house, so I don't have the ashtrays or smoking house stinkies to deal with. I get rid of the butts immediately, and I am a closet smoker. This has been on my mind to bring it to you all awhile ago, but because I am ashamed and hiding my sin, I didn't. But, boy am I glad I did. Not that I ever would want anyone to go through ANY addiction, it is nice to know that others have been there and gotten through it! Thanks for being so supportive and understanding. And many thanks for the great ideas. Lots of love to all of you!!

Big Mama, one other thing about being a closet smoker. Anyone who thinks they are hiding their smoking from people needs to know that they are not.

Non smokers can pick up that scent even from quite a ways away from someone. It literally comes out of the smokers pores and they ALWAYS smell like smoke. The smoker won't notice it, and any other smokers they know won't notice it, but I GUARANTEE you, any non-smokers you come across will know you are a smoker just by standing next to you. I can pick up the scent very easily.

I only say this to help you understand that cigarette smoking is NEVER hidden like the smoker thinks it is. That smell is really strong.

Blessings to you sister for your honesty and openness in wanting to quit and sharing it with us. You CAN do this and God WILL help you. And you will be SO glad you did!!!

Well, Diane, I was a closet smoker, and I hid it pretty well for a long, long time. Years, in fact. The people closest to me (and they were non-smokers) didn't have a clue. The way one of my best friends found out is that she came over to my house, and I accidently left my purse open and she saw the pack of cigarettes there. And she had known me for YEARS and she didn't have a clue!! She was both appauled and disappointment in me, and she told me so. She couldn't believe it. She would come over to my house, rode with me in the car, and when she greeted me she would occasionally give me a hug, and she NEVER KNEW!!

The way I did it was smoking in my house next to an open door, and I would spray my house with air freshner afterwards. I would brush my teeth and chew gum. I would wrap my hair in a towel when I smoked. I would bathe and change my clothes before I saw anyone, and didn't smoke until I got home. I wore perfume and put it on my clothes to hide the smoke between frequent showers.

You have NO IDEA what lengths I would go through to hide my smoking because I was terrified of having people find out!! Even my ex-boyfriend didn't know!!! It was exhausting. Then a simple mistake of leaving my purse open with my cigarettes exposed, and I was busted! My girlfriend never saw me the same since. Neither did my ex-boyfriend. They were both so disappointed in me. (The way he found out is that he dropped over to my house unexpectedly, and he smelled the smoke before I had a chance to spray!!)

I was a closet smoker because I was trying to avoid their critisism. Man, did that hurt!!

It is soooo not worth it, because like you said, Diane, some how people will find out. But I hid it pretty good for a long time.

I also smoked for about ten years. I don't think its a sin, but is not good for us. But neither is overeating, drinking too much, not getting enough exercise, watching too much TV, eating the wrong foods (junk food and convenience food all the time instead of whole, natural foods) etc.

I did quit because it became a personal conviction for me, but I honestly believe it were done in moderation....say one after a meal or on a nice spring walk, etc...occasionally, it would have nearly no health effects. But most of us couldn't do that.

Hugs Big Mama!

Oh, my poor sweet sister Leenie! What you went through to hide your smoking! My goodness! Well, on the plus side, I commend you for being so committed to doing something to its fullest! LOL! Sounds like you did a great job of covering it up! The government could learn "covering up" secrets from you!

I guess I didn't know you could actually cover up the smell because all the people in my life who smoked didn't really care if others knew - they just cared if they smelled "too" offensive, so they tried breath mints, etc.

If you had that much success at covering the smell, I wonder how many other people out there are doing the same thing! I already thought the entire world smoked and now you're telling me there may be more???

Yikes!

Blessings to you Leenie sis! I just know in heaven you and I are gonna be pals. I can't wait!

Sister Di

Hi Melissa -

Like many of us, I smoked for quite a while, too - 3 packs a day for 16 years, in fact, while I was an addictions counselor (not so unusual)! And smoking IS an addiction - about 7 times as addictive as cocaine. The tobacco companies know that, of course, and capitalize on it. If they can get us hooked as teens/young adults, they figure they can get 30 years out of us, on average. It isn't hard to do the math and see what it costs us financially - and how much they stand to earn.

We don't set out to get addicted to the stuff, of course, but it happens; and it's not a sign of a character flaw or weakness. There's a scripture that says "By what you are overcome, by that you are enslaved" - and if that doesn't describe addiction, I don't know what does. Even after quitting for a period of time, if we start again, we pick it back up right where we left off. Breaking the habit involves not only eliminating the nicotine and chemicals from our bodies, but changing the little behaviors that go along with it. There are some good aids out there that can be helpful, as well as 12-Step programs that provide mutual support.

When I quit (went cold turkey after smoking 3 packs/day of Camel unfiltered for a week, and wishing I could die - I wouldn't recommend that approach!), I eventually started doing smoking cessation groups as part of treatment. One way you might want to begin is to gradually eliminate the cigarettes one at a time and related behaviors - start with the ones that aren't "must haves", like the extra smoke in the car, talking on the phone, etc. You might begin to keep your cigarettes and lighter in different places, limit smoking to just one location (ie, the garage - not the kitchen or bedroom), and begin to do those things that make you have to actively think about smoking. Drink lots of water, cut back on sweets and other "addictive foods", including coffee (goes hand-in-hand with smoking), and set a target date when you will be smoke-free - ie, 3 months down the road, on your birthday, whatever. Make that your goal, and begin to work toward it.

As you change the behaviors and gradually eliminate the cigarettes, by the target date you're down to cutting out those 4-5 cigarettes that are the "critical smokes" - first thing in the morning, etc. By then, you've gotten most of the nicotine out of your system, you've changed a lot of the smoking behaviors, and it makes it a lot easier to give up those final few. And when you're down to that, you can easily endure the 21 days that it takes to finally break the lingering habit.

As I said, there are all sorts of aids out there - this is the method I used with hard core addicts inside prison,and many were successful in breaking a lot of addictive patterns. Oh, could I also suggest you start making a plan for what you're going to do with all the money you save? Take a trip, buy something you've been wanting, do something special...

Each day that you're able to eliminate one more, you've gained a victory over the addiction, and over the enemy. I have every confidence that you can do it, Melissa - and I'll be keeping you in prayer as you move toward your success!!

Kate

Email: kate5525@aol.com

Hi Diane, sis!!

Wow, thank you for your words of compassion! What a diference between what you just said right now, and "I'm so disappointed in you. Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? How can you do that???" like I heard from my FORMER friend!

I know for sure we're going to be great pals in heaven!

Happy Resurrection Day, Sis!!

I know cigaretes are a strong addiction, but please quit for the sake of your family & yourself. My mother died a horrible death at 63 from lung cancer. My father quit after seeing my mother die from cancer & he lived to be 86. If he hadnt, I dont think he would have lived that long.
There are nicotene patches, Zyban pills, even E-Cigaretes to help you kick the habit, and most of all prayer.
It helps to suck on a lollipop or chew gum when you have the urge to smoke,one of the reasons it's so hard to quit smoking is that smokers have to kick two habits, the addiction to nicotine and the repeated behavior of the "hand-to-mouth" habit which is just as hard to overcome . Studies have proven that nicotine leaves the body within 5 to 7 days, however, changing a behavior can take up to 27 days.
Sorry if this picture offends anyone, but this shows the difference between a smoker & non-smoker's lung.
Photobucket

Email: skyjams2002@yahoo.com

Big Mama (Melissa), dear Sis

I totally understand how you feel Sis

When I first became a Christian in my early 20’s I smoked, I asked the Lord for his help and I lost my urge to smoke another cigarette. There were times when I felt or longed for a smoke after a meal etc, but I did not touch another for 10 whole years.

When I had my breakdown I fell into self harm (very bad). I was put into a hospital locked within a safe environment to stop the cycle, I had become a ward of the state, I had no legal rights to leave.

During that time a nurse trying to help me, offered me a cigarette. Feeling at my worst in life, totally alone with no family I took it of her and lit it up.

That was in the year 2000

Today I have overcome my depression, sadness etc. I will never go back there again, I know that. I do not take any form of medication anymore. I have excelled in many areas of my life. I am on fire for God which is the most important to me. But 10 years later I still smoke and I absolutely hate it and despise it. I smoke approx 50 a day, not good.

My kids hate seeing me do this. I wake in the morning and cough like an old man, I am slowly killing myself. And I want out of this addiction. I have tried and failed on a couple of occasions.

I totally understand your plight Melissa, for I am there also Sis.

I love you Sis

ybiC / Paul

Wow! Thank you again RITA family. Paul maybe we could kick it together! Wouldn't both of us have happy kids...and more money!!

Father in the Name of Jesus, I ask that you break the addiction of cigarettes for both Melissa and Paul. I ask that You do for them as You did for me, removing the withdrawl symptoms and putting a resolve in their heart never to touch them again. I ask that you take away the desire to smoke and give them the willpower to walk away and never turn back. I ask that You give them something else in their lives that will bring them more pleasure than smoking...something that will bring glory to Your Name to replace the cigarettes. I ask that You do a mighty work in their lives in healing their addiction so they can give You all the praise and glory. I thank You for hearing my prayer, and ask all of this in Jesus precious Name. Amen

Big Mama, my Dear Sister, I'm in the same boat with ya.

Below is from this thread started by Lisalennie..http://pub48.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=4086901292&frmid=13&msgid=948050&cp=1&cmd=show

And, I wanted to share this with you as well.
++++++++++++++++

Scott you said, "Your whole appearance just screams integrity!!

My dear "Holy Spirit Inspired Precious Metals Truth Finder Detector Dapper Brother" (that's a full keyboard title my dear friend that you are TRULY worthy to receive.) it's not my integrity you're seeing bro, it CAN ONLY be our LORD's and not mine. And, I thank you for this opportunity to give Him ALL the Glory in this regard.

The Good Lord and my Heaven sent wife of 40 years are taking real good care of me.

But, I'm not really taking good care of myself.

I'll explain.

Confession time: I can really identify with Big Mama on her post several days about her desire to stop smoking. And the "Hounds of Heaven" are chasing me for my own good in this regard.

I've smoked a pipe for more years than I care to remember. I inhale and I'm hooked.

I tried several times over the years to stop. I even went over a year without "IT"...cold turkey with the assistance of the Good Lord and Chantix...and...Yes, I flunked and went back and picked it up again.

This is the area in my life that the Holy Spirit is bringing to bare with me. With RITA's prayers, and the Holy Spirit's help, Big Mama and I can quit.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please, those of you reading this, agree with me in prayer...I need your help.

DEAR LORD, THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOO HARD TO QUIT AND I'M SO WEAK IN THIS AREA AND PUBLICLY, I CONFESS BEFORE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, THAT I CAST ALL MY CARE IN THIS REGARD UPON YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Dear Lord, right now, I am willing to give up this habit and let You step in and take care of this in Your Strength.

I know I've done damage to my body and I pray Lord Jesus that You will give me the ability and strength to quit smoking.

Lord, I really NEED YOUR HELP and according to Your Word and Promise I receive Your Help in Your Precious Name Lord Jesus.

As my act of faith for Your Help Lord, I'll go and break my two pipes and throw the pipe tobacco out right now and tell my sisters and brothers when this is done....I'm back from breaking the two pipes I smoked and throwing out the pipe cleaners, pipe filters and the tobacco.

Thank you Lord Jesus as You just watched me do this first step of faith in depending upon YOU and I'm sharing this now with RITA for my accountability.

Thank You Lord Jesus for helping me get out of this mess that I started...I'm casting all my care upon you....1Pe 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

In Jesus Name I pray...Amen
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Big Mama, if you are reading this, you're not alone Sis, I'm right here in this boat with you and I'll be praying for you as well in this regard. With our Lord's Help and with our sisters and brothers prayer support we'll make it through.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scott you also said, "You look like a fun guy to hang out with!!! I wish we could go on some metal detecting trips to local parks on some sunny afternoons"

Bro, I would love to go on a metal detecting trip with you sometime. That would be GREAT

Thank all of you for your prayers for Big Mama and I. I love you guys in Jesus.

Your brother Joe

Email: jpcarr@att.net

This vesse smoked for years.I went and bought a box
of patches.Prayed over them and plede the BLOOD of
JESUS over them.Praise the Lord .I didn't even use but
only part of the box.And was done with smokes for ever.
That was 15 years ago.
You can defeat this enemy.
I pray for strength and courage for you.
In JESUS name,
Star

Thank you Star for your prayer on my behalf and I really appreciate you taking the time to remember me.

Joe

Email: jpcarr@att.net

Melissa ~ When I opened this thread I felt I had nothing to say on this subject, but then decided to skim the responses. I came to Diane's, and needless to say it was very emotional for me, and one thought came to me, so I'll share...

The thought was, and I don't know if this is of the Lord, to every time you have the desire to smoke, to picture Jesus right there with you (because He is anyway). But, as you pick up the pack, picture Him sitting with you. Is it something you can do in His presence. But also speak to Him about what smoking does for you, and ask Him to remove and replace those perks with other things from Him.

My mother was a chain smoker all her life, till just a short few years before she died, also of emphysema, which brought on the complication of a heart problem.

She was preparing to live in a senior community but had a bout and was in the hospital where I flew to see her. I was afraid but knew the Lord was pressing me to pray with her for salvation. As we talked, the hospital window was open, and they had a fan blowing toward her to help her feel she could breath. I came back the next morning and she was in a coma, staying that way all day and into the night. I was sitting on the side of the bed watching her with the air blowing toward her when she took her last breath. It is a traumatic thing to witness - the struggle! And it is still painful.

Yes, you will go to heaven whether you do or whether you don't, but it is just not worth it, in the long run, for yourself or your family.

Please Lord, undertake for Melissa in this area, gird her up and strengthen her in Your love and grant her wishes to be set free into victory. Amen

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com