Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Have a problem with Matthew 24/Craig McClain's view

I have a problem with Craig McClains interpretation of Matthew 24:36. He states that verse 36 is not talking about Christ return, but not knowing the day or the hour is in reference to Heaven and earth passing away?

If we take it into context, I see a problem here. If we go back to verse 26, that's when Jesus starts talking about the coming of the Son of Man. It is the main theme all the way through the rest of the chapter. So how can not knowing the day or hour be in reference to Heaven and earth passing away?

Verse 36 “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Now, I read further and find out what Jesus is talking about.

Verse 42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.

Verse 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

There we have it, day and hour is speaking on the coming of the Son of Man, not when the Heavens and earth pass away.

I would love to hear if someone is seeing anything different that I am here. It seems pretty clear what Jesus is talking about. Heaven and earth will pass away before his words, so keep his words. His word says no on knows the day or hour of when the Son of Man returns. Be ready at all times, He will come like a thief!!!!

Email: brandonpalmer@charter.net

Re: Have a problem with Matthew 24/Craig McClain's view

Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment...not endorsing the view...but...

2 Peter 3:8-13
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a DAY IS LIKE A THOUSAND YEARS, and a thousand years are like a day.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives

as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

----------------------------------------------------
The Old heavens and earth pass away at the END of the Millenium...so by this context the whole Tribulation period and Millennial reign on earth and its final judgment all fall within "One Day" of the Lord. For the scriptures state that Elijah will come BEFORE the Day of the Lord. This is at the beginning of Daniel's 70th week.

BTW the word "elements" is the Greek word ATOMOS which is where we get the english word Atom. So this melting of atoms cannot occur at the second coming...but rather the end of the Millennium.

Knight Michael
Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment...not endorsing the view...but...

2 Peter 3:8-13
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a DAY IS LIKE A THOUSAND YEARS, and a thousand years are like a day.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives

as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

----------------------------------------------------
The Old heavens and earth pass away at the END of the Millenium...so by this context the whole Tribulation period and Millennial reign on earth and its final judgment all fall within "One Day" of the Lord. For the scriptures state that Elijah will come BEFORE the Day of the Lord. This is at the beginning of Daniel's 70th week.

BTW the word "elements" is the Greek word ATOMOS which is where we get the english word Atom. So this melting of atoms cannot occur at the second coming...but rather the end of the Millennium.

Thanks Michael for the response! Your right a day is like a thousand years, thousand years like a day to the Lord. I always agree with Scripture.

It's all this date setting that get's people in trouble. Jesus told us plain as night and day, the Son of man will come at an hour when we least expect it. Everyone that has set dates has been wrong. Why? Because we can't know, the Father only knows.

Let's just live like He commanded us, be ready!! He can return at any moment, watch the signs!! His return is definitely very near, the signs are rolling like thunder!! I can't wait!!

Thanks brother!

Brandon,

You have chosen a tough verse and question that has been discussed and debated for decades. I have spent more time studying the 24th Chapter of Matthew than any other chapter in the Bible because I have always felt IT was the key to end time prophecy understanding.

First of all, be assured that our Heavenly Father has NOT forbidden us to know His plans and time lines for us. He has instead promised us rewards for waiting, watching and being expectant of the time of the fulfillment of our HOPE.

It is important in setting the context of a particular scripture verse to look at the beginning of the chapter (sometimes the beginning of a book) to see who is talking, who they are talking to, what the main subject matter is, in what dispensation of time is the subject being discussed, and what the verb tenses are that are being used. The Hebrew and Greek language are both much more exact in their sentence structure than English and it is important to know if verbs used are present, past or future tense. The word "KNOWS" in V 36 is a perfect example of this problem.

I don't want to go on too long on this so I will use an outline form to make my points.

I Setting of Mt. 24

Private meeting with disciples on Mt of Olives overlooking Temple mount. Dispensation of Law. Before the cross and Pentecost. Speaking to Jewish audience who has Eastern worldview of what a Kingdom incorporates. They are aware of Christ' statements that He is going away but will come back to establish His kingdom.

II Subject

V-3 When will the Temple be destroyed. What are the signs of your coming back at the end of the age. (remember, this question has nothing to do with church age and rapture. It is focusing on when Jesus will come back and set up a Jewish Kingdom that is Heaven on Earth. It is the final week of Daniel that must be fulfilled to usher in that Millennial Kingdom)

III Signs

The general signs leading up to the 2nd Coming of Christ are given through the first 30 verses ending with "immediately AFTER the Tribulation" in V 29 and the appearance of the "Son of Man" ( a Jewish term used to describe the God/man Messiah) in v-30. The "Elect" in v-31 are the Jewish remnant that believe. (see Romans 11:7)

IV Christ answer for when is "end of age"

Starting in v-32 Jesus gives a time line of when the end of the last generation will be. I believe He is referencing the dispensation of Grace and the Church age. (the disciples certainly didn't understand this 2000 years into the future explanation and therefore Jesus tried to encourage them by saying that no one could could know the day or hour when that would happen but, that it would happen before heaven and earth as it was currently, would be changed v35)

V V- 36 But, of that day and hour no one KNOWS, no, not even the angels of heaven but My Father only.

The Greek word that is translated as KNOWS or KNOWETH in this verse is Eido and is only used in certain PAST tenses. In other words Jesus is saying to His disciples that no one at this time knows the day or hour of the end of the age but at some point in the future those that are watching will know. Look at Acts 1:6,7 where Jesus is talking to His disciples AFTER His resurrection.

6. Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him saying; "Lord will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"

7. And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times and seasons which the Father has put in His own authority."

VI Conclusion

To know the time and date of the rapture of the Bride is certainly not forbidden. The Lord has given us clear and verifiable check points to know where we are on the time line of the last generation before His Second Coming. And,

He has given His bride encouragement and promises to watch to see when He is even at the door for our rapture event. We have been able to verify the exact day of His first coming through the prophetic Word and will be able to do the same for the day of our departure at some point before it happens. The people around Elijah knew before. Noah knew before. We have some very good scripture based guesses now, but, the time is coming and soon when we WILL KNOW!!!

There is a lot more that could be said, but hope this helps.

Love you brother

Tom

Tom,

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that. That helps me a lot to understand better what is being said in chapter 24. I was reading it this morning. What great timing God has.
Your post has blessed me very much.
In Christ,

John

Email: murleyj@gmail.com

Thanks John, that is what the unity in the Body of Christ is all about.

Love the picture of you and that "precious" bundle on top of your shoulders.

Trumpet to the lips.....lets roll

Tom

Tom

6. Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him saying; "Lord will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"

7. And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times and seasons which the Father has put in His own authority."

I'm really enjoying your study of Matthew 24, Tom, thank you

. . for me, the above makes clear Jesus is speaking to His chosen, the Jews in Matthew 24. The Day of the Lord starts after the rapture of the church, Jesus later returns to earth to set up His Kingdom in Israel.

It is reassuring and thrilling to know that the Bride/Church will be WITH JESUS when He returns to set up His kingdom!!

Come, Lord Jesus!!!

I know what you mean, it was not until I understood and just recently that Jesus was speaking to the Jewish people about the end and not the rapture

because when Jesus said that it was still a mystery to the world,

it was not until Paul was told, 30 years later was the rapture discussed and it was for the Church age people. Les Feldick teaches the context of what Jesus, the disciples and Paul were speaking from, it makes all the difference for a clear understanding as what ya'll are saying here.

Email: newskinagain167@yahoo.com

Thank you Tom for your response! I greatly appreciate your wonderful insight into Matthew 24!! I hope you are right, that we can eventually know the time of the rapture before He returns for his bride! It gets frustrating though when so many dates have been set and have passed by like the wind only to let people down.

Anyway, I really think Jesus is at the door, our King is coming at any moment, too many signs! Hopefully the faithful will see it coming before it happens!

YBIC,
Brandon

Keep being salt and light in this world everyone!! I look forward to meeting you all!!

I love how Holy Spirit speaks to Christ's church . . halleluiah to our GOD MOST HIGH!!!

When this dispensation of Grace closes (@ the rapture) . . we shall see, as His church in full Redemption above, our GOD Triumphant!!

. . . oh, to gaze on the King King of kings, the Lord of lords, and Great Lion of Judah!!

Very good study, Tom! I have to admit that the whole "No one knows the day or hour" part of the scriptures has been very hard to figure out. Jesus did command us to watch and not be "taken as a thief". At the same time it seems that much of Matthew 24 addresses the Jews in the end times, and at times it seems that Jesus is speaking to his church. I do believe that believers who are watching for the rapture will at least know the season, if not the month and year.

Kevin

Email: hogwoodk@gmail.com

Tom

The Greek word that is translated as KNOWS or KNOWETH in this verse is Eido and is only used in certain PAST tenses. In other words Jesus is saying to His disciples that no one at this time knows the day or hour of the end of the age but at some point in the future those that are watching will know. Look at Acts 1:6,7 where Jesus is talking to His disciples AFTER His resurrection.

Tom

Great job, Tom..

You have explained this very well...

Joseph

Hey their Brother,
You can also claim or pray over Luke 24:45)Then
opened he their understanding,that they might understand the scriptures.
God Bless YOU,
Star

Great exegesis, Tom! Rightly divided

It also occurred to me that Elijah knew he was going up and the school of the prophets also knew what day it was going to happen.

II Kings 2:1 And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal. 2 And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the LORD hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. 3 And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the LORD will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com