<>
Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Scripture help needed. All Bible Scolars please!!!

My sister is Orthodoxy, and says that we are not to interpret scripture on our own, under the leading of the Holy Spirit. That was meant for the priest and Fathers to interpret.

The scripture she gives is 11Peter 1:20. I know full well that the Lord speaks to each and everyone of us. So, what is this verse saying and relate it to others that give us the freedom to seek the Lord and have Him reveal truth to each of us. Us even trying to look at scripture in order to assertain when the Lord might be coming back for us would be considered heresy!

Any takers!!!

YBIC
Steve

Re: Scripture help needed. All Bible Scolars please!!!

1 John 2:27

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.

Steve W
The scripture she gives is 11Peter 1:20. I know full well that the Lord speaks to each and everyone of us. So, what is this verse saying and relate it to others that give us the freedom to seek the Lord and have Him reveal truth to each of us. Us even trying to look at scripture in order to assertain when the Lord might be coming back for us would be considered heresy!

Any takers!!!

YBIC
Steve

(New Century Version)

20 Most of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures ever comes from the prophet's own interpretation.21 No prophecy ever came from what a person wanted to say, but people led by the Holy Spirit spoke words from God.

1 Peter 2:9 (New King James Version)
9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

1 Pet. 1:20-21
"Most of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures ever comes from the prophet's OWN interpretation. No prophecy ever came from what a person wanted to say, but people led by the Holy Spirit spoke words from God."

In other words, it's true: we can't correctly interprete Scripture by ourselves-- without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. God is our teacher. No matter how smart a person is...without the Holy Spirit, the Bible is just a bunch of words. But with the Holy Spirit, the Bible becomes a living & active, double-edged Sword-- the Word of God!!!

Joshua 1:8 (NASB)
"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Hello Steve,

I hope these help.

1 Timothy 1
6. From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7. Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

2 Timothy 4
3. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Peter 2
1. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in ****able heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2 Corinthians 11
14. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Also, If I may, I would like to add a little history of the author of the first translation of the English bible: William Tyndale as follows:

...He determined to translate the Bible into English and was convinced that the way to God was through His word and that scripture should be available even to common people. Foxe describes an argument with a "learned" but "blasphemous" clergyman, who had asserted to Tyndale that, "We had better be without God's laws than the Pope's." In a swelling of emotion, Tyndale made his response: "I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, I will cause the boy that drives the plow to know more of the Scriptures than the Pope himself!"

Tyndale was eventually burned alive for translating the bible into English.

And here is a little encouragement:

Matthew 10
22. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

What Char had said is absolutely correct.

"In other words, it's true: we can't correctly interprete Scripture by ourselves-- without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. God is our teacher. No matter how smart a person is...without the Holy Spirit, the Bible is just a bunch of words. But with the Holy Spirit, the Bible becomes a living & active, double-edged Sword-- the Word of God!!!"

2Peter 20 does NOT say that we are not to interpret scripture. It DOES say that we can not have a private interpretation of scripture. IE the only one to be able to understand the scripture and its meaning.

The word "prophecy" in this verse is the "NEW TESTAMENT" word meaning to understand, consider, be aware of, privy to (Strongs 4894) not the O.T word meaning a telling of the future.

It is so easy to mishandle scripture if you don't know the meaning of words and sentence structure. Of course, without the Holy Spirit, it is impossible for the "living" Word to be seen in its intended purpose.

Thank you everyone...

Char...You hit the scripture and what it was saying right on the nail. It's really sitting back and letting the word sink in. Thank you.

Anyone that have other scriptures, please give them, as this is really a key point in our Christian walk. It also gives us the freedom to search the scriptures and interpret what the prophets of old have said because when we ask the Holy spirit to open the scripture to our understanding, He will!!

Thanks everyone.

I can tell by all the posts, that I am falling behind in my reading, but this too will pass.

Blessings on all!!!

YBIC
Steve

CharLovesJesus
1 John 2:27

As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.

EXCELLENT!!!!
we have the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD indwelling us...HE is our Teacher.. the SPIRIT of TRUTH!!.....pray and seek the truth ..HE, not ourselves, leads us into all truths....

Cheryl...

I just spoke to my brother-in-law about the scripture which Char gave. He said that that is a protestant view of the scriptures!!! My heart went into my stomach. It shouldn't have since there was no reasoning with them before, but now it's futile unless you agree with Othodoxy. Oh well!!!

Steve W, Don't worry!! You did your part, now if he has the Holy Spirit in him, the HS will probably convict him of the truth and will bear witness of what you tried to tell him!! God is good Amen!

Brother Steve, when you were expressing your frustration over trying to get your loved ones to SEE, here is the verse that came to mind:

1 Corinthians 2:13-14

We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So true...so true....

Isn't it so, there's lots of 'readers' of the Word who have no interest but to 'educate' their minds of the history of scripture . . without the Holy Spirit, no life . . .

Remembering Jesus told the disciples to stay in Jerusalem UNTIL they received Holy Spirit, then they were given Christ's power.

The Holy Spirit presents no other option, without Him, there's no understanding scripture . . Praise God for the sent Comforter indwelling.
Paul made it clear, huh . . declaring in Romans 8:9: "without the Spirit of Christ he is not His".

Great is our assurance from our Lord Himself saying: “unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God” . . . John 3:3.

We're BORN OF THE SPIRIT . . GOD HIMSELF is our abiding!!

Thank You Jesus for the Holy Spirit Who puts faith in us, for You, oh GOD imparts our souls!!

What an engagement . . . Christ's own Spirit indwelling these vessels, . . what assurance while we wait for the wedding in Heaven!!!

. . . "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new". . . . 2 Cor. 5:17

With the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, our bodies become literally, the Temple of God.

We are now no more OF this world, though in it!!! Glory to God!! ,

Yes, yes, no one can take from us what we KNOW, that we ARE the purchased possession of Christ, sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Charity...

I know my sister and brother-in-law love the Lord, but they have become completely closed. They you might say have "married the church". In fact, when you come into the church, that is what you actually do.

I don't want to be married to a church or a teaching, but to Christ Himself. It grieves me terribly. They believe that anyone not of the church will not make it into the kingdom of God. Now she says that they know others will make it, but that "is" the teaching of the Russian Orthodox church.

Everything else is heresy. I guess I'm a heretic that is madly in love with Jesus!!! This whole thing about the Lord coming back really and I mean really makes her feel as though I'm very unstable in the Lord. I never knew I was unstable!!! It's better to find out now than later I suppose. LOL

YBIC
Steve

Sad, how some criticize those who watch for Christ's return . .

Thankfully we read in James 1:2

. . . " My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of our faith produces patience. . ".

Steve W
My sister is Orthodoxy, and says that we are not to interpret scripture on our own, under the leading of the Holy Spirit. That was meant for the priest and Fathers to interpret.

Any takers!!!

YBIC
Steve

I'd shoot her over to Timothy:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." — 1 Timothy 2:6-7

That usually stops the priest mediating & interpreting business.

--

Here's a good one:

“These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.” — 1 Corinthians 2:13

--

"...holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." — 2 Peter 1:21

--

I'm with Charity on the rest... one of the great mysteries of the kingdom is why He gives grace & understanding to the humble.

Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.

27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,

29 so that no one may boast before him.

30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com