Return to Website

Welcome!

Please join us on our new website @:

Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Repentance meaning

"Repent of Sin." This often-quoted phrase "repent of sin" does not even occur in the Bible anywhere.

Repentance is the translation of the Greek word "metanoia". The literal meaning of "metanoia" is "a change of mind". "Meta" means "change". "Noia" means "mind". Another Greek word with the prefix "meta" is "metamorphosis". "Meta" means "change" and "morphosis" means "form or structure". This word metamorphosis is used to describe the change a caterpillar goes through to become a butterfly.

Penance is payment for sin.
Penitence is sorrow for sin.
Repentance(metanoia) is a change of mind.

The problem has come about because "metanoia" should never have been translated into the English word "repent". "Repent" (English word) does not mean the same thing as "metanoia" (Greek word). Perhaps what the translators should have done was a "transliteration" of the Greek word. For example: the translators of the King James Bible took the Greek word "baptizo", dropped the "o", and replaced it with an "e".

They brought the new word "baptize" into the English language. This is called transliteration. Perhaps they should have done this with "metanoia", and the problem would have been eliminated.

Dr. C.I. Scofield, in the Scofield Reference Bible (copyrighted in 1909), has the following footnote, "Repentance is the translation of a Greek word (metanoia-metanoeo) meaning "to have another mind", "to change the mind", and is used in the New Testament to indicate a change of mind in respect of sin, of God and of self.

This change of mind may, especially in the case of Christians who have fallen into sin, be preceded by sorrow (II Corinthians 7:8-11), but sorrow for sin, though it may "work" repentance, is not repentance. The son in Matthew 21:28,29 illustrate true repentance. Saving faith includes and implies that change of mind, which is called repentance."

Matthew 21:28,29
28But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
29He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.

Wasn't the repentance that Jesus spoke of regarding the nation Israel the sin of not accepting HIM as God's Promised Messiah?

And isn't our repentance, not a turning from sin but a turning to God for His Eternal Salvation - by Grace through Faith?

Were we not DEAD SINNERS before we turned to Christ for His Salvation not by any works, not by any religious act but by FAITH alone in the Finished Work of the Lord Jesus Christ?

And are we not now deemed LIVING SAINTS because of the FINISHED WORK of the Lord Jesus Christ by GOD'S GRACE through FAITH?

Let us not remain modern day religious Pharisees - but simply BELIEVE in GOD'S SUBSTITUTE who ABOLISHED and TOOK AWAY ALL OUR SINS.

BELIEVE UPON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND YOU SHALL BE SAVED...

Trust in the Finished Work of the Lord Jesus Christ and be SAVED ETERNALLY or trust in your own paltry religious works and be LOST ETERNALLY.

Faith alone in Christ Jesus alone is really a matter of spiritual life or spiritual death.

When we BELIEVE UNTO SALVATION we are no longer separated from the FATHER.

This is what we read in God's Book about the Second Death.

Without FAITH in Christ, mankind is dead spiritually - so the one not BELIEVING will experience DEATH, the SECOND DEATH - ETERNALLY SEPARATED from the FATHER, never to know God as their FATHER.

What a horrible fate to miss knowing God as FATHER.

Won't you Believe and be Saved today, while it is still today?...

Re: Repentance meaning

Blessings, Josh . . May the teachings of repentance grow deeper . . til we're with our Lord we adore, above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following "Question" was asked of John MacArthur Jr.,

Question

"What is repentance and how does it relate to salvation?

Answer

The meaning of the word repentance has been twisted in recent years to the point that its biblical meaning is now obscured in the minds of many.

The idea that genuine repentance could result in anything but a change of life is completely foreign to Scripture.

What does the Bible teach about the relationship between salvation and repentance?

First, it teaches that repentance is essential to salvation. One cannot truly believe unless he repents, and one cannot truly repent unless he believes.

Repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin (but they are not synonymous terms). Acts 11:18 and 2 Peter 3:9 are two of the many verses that teach that repentance is necessary for salvation.

Perhaps 2 Timothy 2:25 best sums up the relationship between repentance and saving faith when it speaks of "repentance to the acknowledging of the truth" (see also Acts 20:21).

Second, the Greek word for repentance, "metanoia," while it means "to have another mind," cannot properly be defined to exclude a sense of hatred of and penitence for sin.

The biblical concept of repentance involves far more than merely a casual change of thinking.

Biblically, a person who repents does not continue willfully in sin. Repentance is a turning from sin, and it always results in changed behavior (Luke 3:8).

While sorrow from sin is not equivalent to repentance, it is certainly an element of scriptural repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Finally, despite what is being widely taught today, affirming that repentance and acknowledgement of Jesus' lordship are necessary to salvation does not "add" anything to the requirement of faith for salvation.

It is not "faith plus repentance" that saves, but rather a repentant faith.

The notion that salvation is possible apart from a genuine, heartfelt repentance, which includes a deep hatred of sin, is a relatively new one, neither believed nor taught by the people of God until the twentieth century".

Josh
"Repent of Sin." This often-quoted phrase "repent of sin" does not even occur in the Bible anywhere.

Here you go~ it's in my Bible, at least.

Jesus saying here in Revelation 2:16

"Repent of your sin, or I will come to you suddenly and fight against them with the sword of my mouth."

I love it when the WORD HIMSELF clears up the matter . . Hey, Melanie that's the same Bible I have . . .

Just a few more:

Be on your guard! If your brother SINS, rebuke him; and if he REPENTS, forgive him. (LK 17:3)

Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and REPENT AND DO THE DEEDS YOU DID AT FIRST; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place--unless you repent. (REV 2:5)

I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to REPENT OF HER IMMORALITY. Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, UNLESS THEY REPENT OF HER DEEDS. (REV 2:21-22)

Isaiah 29:13 Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote, 14 Because of this, I will do wonders among these hypocrites. I will show that human wisdom is foolish and even the most brilliant people lack understanding."

Josh, your justification is man-made. Repentance is required.

What he is saying is that the word repent in its proper form of translation isnt in the New testament.

The word that they use for repent and the meaning dont jive.

The word we associate with repent is to be sorry. And that not the proper word to use in translation as the it is suppose to be reconsider.

WE find it easier to heap guilt on people than accept grace and reconsider our way and Gods ways.

Manytimes people repent or feel sorry for what they do to others but seldom to the reconsider their ways .That would mean they would have to emapthize which is what real love is. If they did that they wouldnt be able to keep hurting them.

see the difference?

ITs not what Josh has written its What the Word Says....

Endless studies and word definitions put out by man are folly to the Lord. Rely on the Spirit and the reading of the word! What does the Lord say?
The goal is not to create guilt Abbershay, only a clean heart before the lover of our soul.

He is crying out now "Turn, repent of your wicked ways, be found in me so you will be safe when my fire comes or you will perish with the lost! I am not a God who can be mocked. Learn of my ways and find salvation. Return to your first love because I AM is coming for His own"

The fear if the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Sounds to me that's saying work out your salvation with fear and trembling!

. . "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?

Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God" . .1 Cor. 6.

"Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off". . Romans 11:22 .

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" . . . 2 Peter 1:10-11

Again, . . "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7).

"Happy the soul that has been awed by a view of God's majesty, that has had a vision of God's awful greatness,
His ineffable holiness,
His perfect righteousness,
His irresistible power,
His sovereign grace.

Time was when it was the general custom to speak of a believer as a "God-fearing man."

That such an appellation has become nearly extinct only serves to show whither we have drifted.

Nevertheless, it still stands written, "Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear Him" (Psalm 103:13).

When we speak of godly fear, of course we do not mean a servile fear, such as prevails among the heathen in connection with their gods.

No, we mean that spirit which Jehovah is pledged to bless, that spirit to which the prophet referred when he said, "To this man will I (the Lord) look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word" (Isa. 66:2).

It was this the apostle had in view when he wrote, "Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king" (I Pet: 2:17).

And nothing will foster this godly fear like a recognition of the Sovereign Majesty of God"

~ ~
Arthur Pink

I am sorry you think the study of the word is folly.

Carlee
Endless studies and word definitions put out by man are folly to the Lord. Rely on the Spirit and the reading of the word! What does the Lord say?
The goal is not to create guilt Abbershay, only a clean heart before the lover of our soul.

He is crying out now "Turn, repent of your wicked ways, be found in me so you will be safe when my fire comes or you will perish with the lost! I am not a God who can be mocked. Learn of my ways and find salvation. Return to your first love because I AM is coming for His own"

AMEN Carlee! Beautifully spoken~

Abbershay, man's wisdom is folly, as the word says. We can study until we are blue in the face and still be wrong. We need the Holy Spirit to guide us in our study. As the Isaiah passage says, even the most brilliant of men's wisdom is folly and will perish! Amen!

Josh...

A Jewish perspective may help you with this. Since Christianity is based on the principles of Judaism, we would be wise to listen to what the rabbis say about it.

Checkout the word Hebrew word "teshuva." It is found many places throughout the Old Testament.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” — Matthew 5:17

--

Repentance in Judaism known as teshuva (Hebrew תשובה, literally "return"), is the way of atoning for sin in Judaism.

According to Gates of Repentance, a standard work of Jewish ethics written by Rabbenu Yonah of Gerona, if someone commits a sin, a forbidden act, he can be forgiven for that sin if he performs teshuva, which includes:

• regretting the sin;

• forsaking the sin;

• worrying about the future consequences of the sin;

• acting and speaking with humility;

• acting in a way opposite to that of the sin (for example, for the sin of lying, one should speak the truth);

• understanding the magnitude of the sin;

• refraining from lesser sins for the purpose of safeguarding oneself against committing greater sins;

• confessing the sin;

• praying for atonement;

• correcting the sin however possible (for example, if one stole an object, the stolen item must be returned or if one slanders another, the slanderer must ask the injured party for forgiveness);

• pursuing works of chesed and truth;

• remembering the sin for the rest of one's life;

• refraining from committing the same sin if the opportunity presents itself again;

• teaching others not to sin.

Guides to the process of repentance in Judaism can be found through the rabbinical literature, see especially Maimonides' Rules of Repentance in the Mishneh Torah.

The High Holidays are times that are especially conducive to teshuva. Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) is a day of fasting during which judgment for the year is sealed. Therefore, Jews strive their hardest to make certain that they have performed teshuva before the end of the day.

According to the Talmud, repentance was among the first things God created; even before God created the physical universe (Nedarim 39b). When the Temple in Jerusalem was active, a Jew was required to bring various sacrifices for certain types of sins. Although sacrifices were required, the most essential part was teshuva, the person bringing the sacrifice would confess his sins. Presently, with the Temple destroyed, atonement may nevertheless be granted by doing teshuva.

The end of sacrifices

With the Roman destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, the Jewish practice of offering korbanot (animal sacrifices) ceased. Despite subsequent intermittent periods of small Jewish groups offering the traditional sacrifices on the Temple Mount, the practice effectively ended.

Jewish religious life was forced to undergo a significant evolution in response to this change; no longer could Judaism revolve round the Temple services. Instead, the destruction of the Temple spurred the development of Judaism in the direction of text study, prayer and further development of the Jewish practice. A range of responses is recorded in classical rabbinic literature, describing this shift in emphasis.

In a number of places the Babylonian Talmud emphasises that following Jewish practice, performing charitable deeds, praying, and studying Torah are greater than performing animal sacrifices and the former can be used to achieve atonement.

Once, Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakkai was walking with his disciple, Rabbi Yehoshua, near Jerusalem after the destruction of the Temple. Rabbi Y'hoshua looked at the Temple ruins and said "Alas for us!! The place that atoned for the sins of the people Israel lies in ruins!" Then Rabbi Yohannan ben Zakkai spoke to him these words of comfort: "Be not grieved, my son. There is another equally meritorious way of gaining ritual atonement, even though the Temple is destroyed. We can still gain ritual atonement through deeds of loving-kindness. For it is written 'Lovingkindness I desire, not sacrifice.'" (Hosea 6:6)

Midrash Avot D'Rabbi Nathan 4:5

Rabbi Elazar said: Doing righteous deeds of charity is greater than offering all of the sacrifices, as it is written: "Doing charity and justice is more desirable to the Lord than sacrifice" (Proverbs 21:3).

Babylonian Talmud, Sukkah 49

Forsaking the sin

The second principle in Rabbenu Yonah's "Principles of Repentance" is forsaking the sin ( Hebrew: עזיבת–החטא, azibat-hachet ) . After regretting the sin ( Jonah's first principle ) , the penitent must resolving never to repeat the sin. However, Judaism recognizes that the process of repentance varies from penitent to penitent and from sin to sin. For example, a non-habitual sinner often feels the sting of the sin more acutely than the habitual sinner. Therefore, a non-habitual sinner will have an easier time repenting because he or she will be less likely to repeat the sinful behavior.

The case of the habitual sinner is more complex. If the habitual sinner regrets his or her sin at all, that regret alone clearly does not translate into a change in behavior. In such a case, Rabbi Nosson Scherman recommends devising "a personal system of reward and punishment" and to avoid circumstances which may cause temptation toward a the sin being repented for. The Talmud teaches, "Who is the penitent whose repentance ascends until the Throne of Glory? — one who is tested and emerges guiltless"

Viduy

Viduy (confession) is an integral part of the repentance process. It is not enough to feel remorse and forsake sin. A penitent must put his or her feelings into words and essentially say, "I did such-and-such and for that, I am sorry." Excuses for and rationalizations of the sin are not accepted at this stage of the repentance process.

Viduy is slightly different for sins committed against God or one's self than they are for sins committed against another human. Abraham Joshua Heschel once wrote, "According to Jewish tradition, even God Himself can only forgive sins committed against Himself, not against man." True repentance requires the penitent to approach the aggrieved party and correct the sin however possible. Thus, unlike in the repentance in Christianity, the Jewish concept of repentance is not simply the renouncement of sin in general, but rather in the specific sin done against a specific person or group of people. Only then must one go through the introspective processes described above.

Baal teshuva

Being or becoming a Jewish penitent (or returnee or born again), is known as a Baal teshuva (Hebrew: בעל תשובה‎; for a woman: בעלת תשובה, baalat teshuva; plural: בעלי תשובה, baalei teshuva) the Hebrew term referring to a person who has repented. Baal teshuva literally means "master of repentance or return (to Judaism)". The term has historically referred to a Jew who had not kept Jewish practices, and completed a process of introspection and thus returned to Judaism and morality. In Israel, another term is used, hozer beteshuva ( חוזר בתשובה ) , literally "returning in repentance". Also, Jews who adopt religion later in life are known "baalei teshuva" or "hozerim beteshuva".

--

To me, ALL of this applies to us when we commit sin. The only difference is who & what the sacrifice is.

It's probably best to err on the side of being more serious about our sins than not taking them seriously enough. We serve a holy God. The only way we can keep ourselves clean before Yahweh, & have the blood of Yeshua applied to our us is repentance (teshuva). It is a continuing process that never ends.

At this point in the game, why risk it??

Obedience is better than sacrifice.

22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.

25 Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.

26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.

— I Samuel 15

It seems to me that what is missing is that when repentance is preached what is meant is that a person must stop sinning before God will accept them and this meaning of repentance is wrong.

It is necessary to repent in order to be SAVED, but the understanding is missed when we make repentance what it is not but what most teach.

Repentance is a work that the Holy Spirit works in the heart of each person that Believes unto Salvation.

We change our mind and BELIEVE GOD as the Holy Spirit convinces us that we are a lost sinner, dead in trespasses and sins, in need of the Savior.

Repentance is a work of Grace wrought by the Lord in the heart of everyone that Believes unto Salvation.

Biblical repentance, is changing our mind from no Faith in Jesus Christ, to Faith in Jesus Christ to Save us.

Biblical repentance is changing our mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in Faith for Salvation.

Biblical repentance is when we stop doing dead works to be Saved and begin trusting in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Biblical repentance is when we stop relying on any goodness in ourselves to be right with God to complete reliance on Jesus Christ and His Cross work to Save us.

I reckon to change the mind is in fact changing the mind of the heart from my way, to HIS WAY - which brings me to HIM, the only way to be Saved.

Amen, Josh!

I totally agree with what you've posted.

YSIC,
Chris N.

I agree with Josh as well. It seems some are debating a point of view that I didn't think Josh was advocating, but maybe I missed something.

Email: Armageddon.thru.to.you@gmail.com

Lewis Sperry Chafer
SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY: vol. 7
Doctrinal Summarization (p 265-266)
(originally published Dallas Seminary Press, 1947-1948)

REPENTANCE

Quite contrary to the impression which the usual theology has spread abroad is the correct definition of repentance, the usual idea being that it means sorrow or agony of heart respecting sin and wrongdoing. The true meaning of the word shows that it is a change of mind; and although there may be nothing to preclude that change being accompanied by grief, yet the sorrow itself is not repentance. Instead, it is the reversal of mind.

Another serious Arminian error respecting this doctrine occurs when repentance is added to faith or believing as a condition of salvation. It is true that repentance can very well be required as a condition of salvation, but then only because the change of mind which it has been involved when turning from every other confidence to the one needful trust in Christ. Such turning about, of course, cannot be achieved without a change of mind. This vital newness of mind is a part of believing, after all, and therefore it may be and is used as a synonym for believing at times (cf. Acts 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; Rom. 2:4; 2 Tim. 2:25; 2 Pet. 3:9).
Repentance nevertheless cannot be added to believing as a condition of salvation, because upwards of 150 passages of Scripture condition salvation upon believing only (cf. John 3:16; Acts 16:31). Similarly, the Gospel of John, which was written that men might believe and believing have life through Christ’s name (John 20:31), does not once use the word repentance. In like manner, the Epistle to the Romans, written to formulate the complete statement of salvation by grace alone, does not use the term repentance in relation to salvation.

Again, confusion over this doctrine arises when it is not made clear that covenant people such as Israel or Christians may repent as a separate act. Throughout the time when the gospel of the kingdom was preached by John the Baptist, Christ, and the Lord’s disciples, there issued a call to repentance which was for none other than the anticipated repentance of that Jewish nation, as Matthew 3:2 has indicated: “Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” This is not a gospel call, but one leading to restoration of a covenant people into its right and original relationship to God (cf. Matt. 4:12-17). In like manner, a Christian, once having sinned, may repent as a separate act, which is something far removed from being saved over again (cf. 2 Cor. 7: 8-11).

Repentance itself is one act only and not two. This observation is well illustrated by 1 Thessalonians 1: 9-10, “. . . how ye turned to God from idols.”

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com