Welcome To Rapture In The Air
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Today is the National Day of Prayer

- FOXNews.com
- May 05, 2010
Despite Controversies, National Day of Prayer Proceeds

As observers celebrate the National Day of Prayer Thursday, a recent court ruling and Army decision to revoke an invitation to evangelist Franklin Graham has shrouded in controversy a day meant for reflection and prayer.

As observers celebrate the National Day of Prayer Thursday, a recent court ruling and Army decision to revoke an invitation to evangelist Franklin Graham has shrouded in controversy a day meant for reflection and prayer.

Graham, honorary chairman of the 2010 National Day of Prayer Task Force, said he is going to stand outside the Pentagon anyway on Thursday, despite the decision to rescind his invitation to participate amid complaints about his describing Islam as an evil religion..

"I don't have to be invited to a prayer service to pray for the men and women who serve this nation, who I'm so proud (of)," he told Fox News on Wednesday night. "I want them to know that I support them."

Religious leaders and government officials are holding events Thursday to mark the 59th observance of the day, including capping off a marathon Bible reading in Washington, D.C., that began Wednesday.

The event, created in 1952 and signed into law by President Harry Truman, was amended in 1988 by President Ronald Reagan to state that the day would be observed on the first Thursday in May. Organizers cite the day of prayer's origins to 1775 when the Continental Congress encouraged the colonies to pray for wisdom in forming a nation.

President Obama issued a proclamation last Friday as his Justice Department appeals a federal judge's ruling last month that the day of prayer is unconstitutional.

"Prayer has been a sustaining way for many Americans of diverse faiths to express their most cherished beliefs, and thus we have long deemed it fitting and proper to publicly recognize the importance of prayer on this day across the Nation," Obama said in the proclamation.

The lawsuit challenging the day of prayer was brought by the Freedom From Religious Foundation, a Madison, Wis.-based group of atheists and agnostics. Protests were expected there and in Washington.

The lawsuit was originally filed against President George W. Bush's administration near the end of his second term. The foundation argued the day violates the separation of church and state.

Some religious groups agree with the foundation's claim. K. Hollyn Hollman, general counsel of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, said every day should be a day of prayer, but the official designation and the president's proclamation are "misguided and unnecessary."

"A day of prayer is more appropriately called for by our religious leaders - not civil magistrates, Congress or even the president," Hollman said in a statement issued Wednesday. "There is nothing wrong with the American people getting together to pray on a designated day, even public officials. ... The problem with the National Day of Prayer is that it is an official act of the government urging citizens to engage in a religious exercise."

Expecting her ruling to be challenged, U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb said in her decision last month that the National Day of Prayer can continue until the legal process is exhausted.

Graham said he is grateful that the Justice Department is appealing the ruling. He added that he has twice been to the Pentagon since Sept. 11, 2001, and preaches to military chaplains.

"It's just unfortunate that this decision was made by the Pentagon. The Muslims have their holidays that they celebrate at the Pentagon. They celebrated Ramadan. They have prayer services there. But for us Christians to have prayer services, and for them to object and for the Army to give in to their objections is something that I just don't understand," Graham said, adding that he and Muslims will never agree on the path to God.

The Army's decision to withdraw its invitation is still catching flak. Thirty-six members of the House sent a letter to Defense Secretary Robert Gates urging him to reconsider the military's decision.

"To rescind Franklin Graham's invitation for these overtly political reasons is a disgrace that is obviously being done to placate a few outspoken critics, and an affront to those ideals that are the essence of America and that are reflected throughout America's history," said Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz.

"Not everyone will agree with all that Rev. Graham has to say," Rep. Mike Pence, chairman of the House Republican Conference, said. "But we can agree that our Constitution protects his right to say what he believes."
SEARCH

Click here for FOX News RSS Feeds

Advertise on FOX News Channel, FOXNews.com and FOX News Radio
Jobs at FOX News Channel.
Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FOXNews.com comments write to
foxnewsonline@foxnews.com; For FOX News Channel comments write to
comments@foxnews.com
© Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2010 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
All market data delayed 20 minutes.

Re: Today is the National Day of Prayer

Isn't interesting.That the LORD would lead the
prophet to RITA.For spiritual warfare prayer.On such
a day.as today.
Praise the Lord

Yes it sure is Star! I hadn't thought of that.
Amen.

Neither did I, Star. Neither did I.

SNC

P.S. What, may I ask are they praying for? I'm asking, b/c I feel a total detachment from off of this land. Like, our home isn't here, but in heaven.

Pray for God to heal our land, forgive our sins (as a nation and individually)pray for mercy as we see judgement starting, pray for His glory to fall on us, pray for souls, for healings for deliverance, for His Coming for the Bride....

The prophet,
Is asking for prayer.
In dealing with generational curses.
America,
needs prayer:For kicking God out,for sin of all kinds.

Yes Prophet was already mentioned. Amen.

PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF JERUSALEM.
PRAY FOR SUFFERING AND PERSECUTED SAINTS WORLD WIDE

Glory To God,
Right on 2HH

amen to all the above.

Lord God we have sinned against you. We kicked you out of our schools, government , military adn church. Forgive us.

We killed our unborn children in teh womb. forgive us.

If my people ( Lord call your people
who are called by my name,

will humble themselves and pray,

Lord let us humble ourselves and pray

seek my face adn turn from thier wicked ways,

Lord let your people seek you and turn from our sin.

then I will hear from heaven
and heal your land.

Lord, turn us back to you.

Our father who art in heaven
holly sacred awesome be yoru name
Your kingdom come your wil be done on earth
as it is in heaven.

teh persecuted church asks us for our prayers.
Lord be with them in streangh and might and powere amd blessins and miracles.
Lead them and guide them and deliver them.

forgive us of our sin Lord, and
turn us back to you.

In jesus name I pray

Father, forgive us, Send not away your Grace, Lord.
The Spirit is moving all over this country, thank You, LORD!!!

Praying and believing final revival is happening. Lord help us realize it is Your Grace still, that draws souls to You, before Your judgment falls.

Lord, touch souls in this final inning of Your Mercy and Grace. Reveal the Light of Christ to lost souls according to your will unto salvation.

Father make contrite the blind to see. Holy Spirit claim many lost souls with conviction in this last round of Holy Spirit Mercy . . May many be saved, and learn to know You Jesus Christ.

Lord, while there is still time, reveal the Power of Your Hand of Saving Mercy in this closing hour of Grace . .

amen Donna.

bump

<>
Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com