The Lynx Radio Network Forum

Feel free to post any comments, questions or ideas about the Lynx.

The Lynx Radio Network Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stopped working?

I have been listening to a few stations for the last couple months through my google home device and it worked well. For about the past week or two it stopped. I am listening from Toronto. Have I been geoblocked? It works fine if i listen through the website. How do we fix this?

Re: Stopped working?

Hi Totonroguy,

Thanks for posting about the issue with Google Home.

The problem stems from the way Google suddenly stopped properly translating many stations from the TuneIn Database. The TuneIn radio guide is what Google Home uses to bring the stations to your devices.

When we contacted TuneIn they replied with:

"Hi,

We are aware of issues with Google Home's management of our data feed. While we currently do not have an eta, we are working with Google to resolve this issue with the highest priority.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

In the meantime, there are two temporary resolutions.

The first one is to call out the full station name. For example:

"Hey Google, play C-R-I-K FM, The Lynx Classic Hits." (try adding 'from TuneIn' if you still don't get the correct results).

The second method is to add it as a routine in your Google Home app on your mobile phone:

- Go to routines
- Click the + sign at the bottom right of the screen
- Click + Add Starter
- Click on Voice Command
- In the box, type in "Play The Lynx Classic Hits"
- Click Done
- Now choose what this routine will do by clicking + Add Action
- Scroll down to 'Try Adding your own'
- In the add action box, type in "CRIK FM the Lynx Classic Hits".
- Click Save

It should now show up as a routine on your list but can take up to 15 minutes to work properly.

You can create routines for all the stations by substituting 'Classic Hits' with:
Super 70s
Retro 80s
Classic Rock
Disco Classics

We hope this helps.

Please email us directly through the link below or reply to this post to let us know if these steps worked, or if you found another workaround.

We apologize and appreciate your patience while Google sorts out the issue.

First of all, thank you for the quick reply!

Ok, the first instruction works, most of the time, not all the time. I tried the second method, thanks for the step by step instruction, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

I wish Google would get their act together here. But at least now, I can get it to work again.

Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately we have had varying degrees of success with both methods. Some work better than others.

We have also been informed that connecting to your Google home via Bluetooth to your phone and running the Lynx App works as well, however it's obviously not an ideal solution either.

Thanks again for reaching out and updating us on your progress, and we agree, we hope this issue, which is having an affect on many other stations, is resolved soon.

We will post here when we receive word of a resolution from @Google or @TuneIn.

We received the following response from TuneIn:

Hi,

We are writing to let you know that we are aware of a few bugs that are impacting the TuneIn service on certain Google Assistant-enabled devices, involving station identification.

As of today, about half of the issues have been resolved.

In the coming weeks, we’ll continue to work closely with Google to address other issues as well to provide a great experience for listeners. We will keep you apprised of our progress.

As of this morning we have tested our devices and they were operational.

Please let us know if you are still running into problems with specific or all the Lynx stations, and we will submit the problem to TuneIn for investigation.