Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

Forum: NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Date for your diary - the bird run

Hmmm, expectations seem to be getting out of control. But you might be surprised by the wildlife that can be found on our doorstep.

Bring binoculars if you have them, but not to worry if you don't - we will be listening as much as looking. Looking forward to it!

Yes please, a great morning out. Will try to remember binoculars this time as well camouflage gear!

Pete and I would love to come.

We would love to join you for this 🙂🙂
Martyn and Rachel

me too please.

Sounds good I am in

Yes Please :)

If this is still happening I'd also like to come.

yes still happening!!!

Parking will be avaibale near our house SG5 2ES (on the access road to the big house, for those who know what I mean) - will send a map prior to the event and Steve will be carparking marschal in the morning

there will be some gluten and dairly free food choices; if any other dietry preferences are needed, just shout

If anybody want to do a long run (Mark V) or a track style or hill session (the Sat track boyz'n girlz) prior to the bird run from ours, let us know and we can arrange earlier parking at ours and suggest a session :-)

Sounds good, I'd like to come too

Can't remember if I replied to this but I have it in my diary so please count me in. I've got new bins to try out!

I have St Albans Half the following morning, so I want to skip the running but join you for the breakfast. Am I allowed to do that?🥐🥞☕️🍴

Yuko, the run part is just a slow jog of about 2 miles with lots of stops... nothing that would take away from you racing the next day. However, I would say on behalf of Astrid that you are most welcome to just come for the breakfast - you can take my place as I can do the bird bit but then gave to rush away.

Miranda, Pete and Karen
can we liftshare? I can drive.

Below is a link to map

Fairly easy to find also with a navigator: postcode is SG5 2ES

Basically follow the B655 out of Hitchin towards Pirton/Barton/Hexton (B655 runs parallel'isch to the A505 to Luton). After about 1 mile, past the last houses, with fields left and right, you see a big house on the right, that is were we will park. The house owner has allowed us to use the service road to his business in the back to park.

Car share where possible

PLEASE arrive on time and let Steve help you to find a parking space.

DONT PARK WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS FROM STEVE

Our house is just behind there an we will start and finish the run/walk fro there

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hitchin+SG5+2ES/@51.9473712,-0.3152671,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487634176b7052ff:0xd937f51bc41d191e!8m2!3d51.9480195!4d-0.3066089?hl=en

looking forward to it

Thanks for organising- I will also come along on Saturday.
Thanks
Petra

Hi Paul, yes, great idea to lift share. We're also happy to drive. Sort out tonight at club or will email you later.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday morning. Bring binoculars if you have them, but not essential - we will be listening as much as looking.

The weather forecast looks dry, if a bit breezy. Should be a good morning.

Sorry - we will miss this now. Hope you see lots! Hope to make this if it happens again in the future

Lovely social trot around the common stopping frequently to listen to and try to spot a variety of birds followed by fantastic food at Astrid's. White chocolate and black pepper scones were especially delicious.
Many thanks to James and Astrid.

Thank you everyone for taking part this morning. I think we had about 18 people - a great turnout.

The wind didn't encourage the birds to show themselves well, but we stil managed to track down several Corn Buntings, great views of Yellowhammer and singing (if not terribly visible) Reed Warbler.

Best sightings of the day were undoubtedly Astrid's delicious breads and scones - delicious! Many thanks to Astrid and Steve for hosting (and to their neighbour for letting us park in his handy field).

Thanks so much James for sharing your knowledge and Astrid and Steve for hosting and providing a great spread afterwards.