Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leila's Run

Very low key 4 lap marathon (although you can do however many laps you like up to 4) organised by the 100 Marathon Club and run in memory of 100 Club and Garden City Runner Leila who lost her battle with cancer 5 years ago and in aid of the hospice that looked after her. It is not a race, it is meant to be a friendly run and a time to reflect on people we have lost, how lucky we all are to be running, our own reasons for running, whatever.

As most people know I am most definitely NOT a fan of laps but this run is an exception. It is a lovely 6.25 mile on/off road run just North of Wheathamstead. I ran again with my friend Frances and it was commented on by the marshalls that we did manage to keep talking for the entire 27 miles... We finished in 4.41 which is a bit slower than last year - we were bang on target for exactly the same time but in the last lap were stopped by a young lad on his bike who had lost his dad and his sister and was getting very upset. We tried to calm him down and set him off in a slightly different direction to us but to meet us again at the road but then I asked a couple walking their dog if they had seen his dad and sister and they just took over so we carried on. Does that get me an extra SORE point?!

At the start there was an elderly Indian man wearing fabulous bright orange Indian clothes and turban supporting a relative who was running. He was introduced to everyone by the organisers before the start as he is an ex-runner but has now retired as he is 106. Yes, one hundred and six years old! And he really did look fab - if a little bemused at the attention!

I'll be back next year but am loathe to recommend it as it already fills so this is one little gem I might just keep to myself...

Re: Leila's Run

Well done Jo! The second year I have not been able to do this so hopefully third time lucky next year!