Remember that this forum can be viewed by anyone; anything deemed inappropriate will be removed.

NHRR Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Cross county is coming! Ampthill Trophy anybody?

With the fantastic weather this weekend, it's difficult to imagine that the cross country season isn't too far away. The first league race is only 8 weeks away on 21st October at Wellingborough.

Rather than jumping straight into Three Counties XC league, and to get us all in the mood, the team captains and I are trying to get a scurry of Squirrels in attendance at the Ampthill Trophy this year. This is an XC race in Historic Ampthill Park on the 15th October - the week before 3cxc league starts.

It is described as a fast, challenging course through stunning parkland. It's an 11:00 start, so not too early. The race instructors also mention that the park is a great place to explore with a well-equipped children’s play area. There is a cafe that serves hot drinks, light snacks, cakes and ice creams (I am definitely tempted to buy an ice cream after finishing!). You can also choose from a broad range of pubs and restaurants in Ampthill [400m] covering a wide range of cuisines. Entrance fee is £10.

There are team competitions too, both mean and women, 3 in a team.

I have entered, hope to see some more Squirrels join me soon.

http://www.ampthilltrophy.org.uk/

Here is a reminder of the dates;

15th Oct - Ampthill Trophy
22nd Oct - Wellingborough
12th Nov - Wootton
26th Nov - Dunstable
17th Dec - Letchworth
14th Jan - Biggleswade

Re: The Cross county is coming! Ampthill Trophy anybody?

Currently rehab is slow to middlin for Standalone and Perkins. If no improvement I will have to withrldraw (and marshall at Standalone of course).

But... that would give me 2 extra weeks to get ready for this. YES please. :-)

Cheers John.

Don't want to miss this one....see you there!

Did this last year & it is a top event, if you enjoy cross country then you must give this a go! Fantastic course, far better than any we race in the 3 counties league, shame a variation isn't on the league fixture list

Just the thing to get us in the cross country frame of mind

Also reminds me - I need some new XC shoes ......

Adam, this course was a part of the XC league but not since 2010! - the first year I was with the club

As an ex nhrr now living in Ampthill . I walk around the park every week and have a drink or an ice cream at the hub. Near to the tennis court.

As far as pub are concerned the chequers just outside Ampthill on the way to Bedford does great food . If going their it is best to pre book .Had my wedding meal their. You would have to drive to this one about 1 mile outside Ampthill
For other pubs in Ampthill best to leave car in park and walk to pubs. Recommend the albion and the old sun

Fantastic, thanks for the info Russell! I was actually looking at the location of pubs earlier...

Entered

I actually checked my XC shoes on the weekend, to see what state they are in. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I actually cleaned them up before packing away for the summer, result!

40 days until XC season...

My old XC shoes were definitely NOT Ok! Just ordered some new ones, in good time for Ampthill and the XC season I hope

27 days until the Amphtil Trophy...

Who's signed up and looking forward to the ice cream?

Please can someone offer to give me a lift back to letchworth area after XC1 at Wellingborough? Getting dropped off in the AM.
Thanks in advance. JIM.

Ampthill Trophy is next Sunday.

Would be great to see as many Squirrels there as possible! Who's not signed up yet? What are you waiting for?

Time to get some mud on that vest.

3cxc starts the week after, the numbers are being sorted this week...